Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Computer questions you'd be embarrassed to ask any where else!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

DeVore wrote: »
    Ok here's the text as it looks in the editor:
    ...(cue a rash of people writing upside down and back to front :p)
    Yeah, thanks for that mate. You'll be teaching 'em txtspk next.
    DeVore wrote: »
    Here, we allow direct embedding because we presume you all know better :)
    /Whistles innocently

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

For the avoidance of doubt

I dont know any better:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

goatse and tubgirl....:eek::eek::eek:

hehehe

I should ban you for making me check that those links were safe. I had to click each with my eyes half closed, just in case.

goatse and tubgirl....:eek::eek::eek:

hehehe
    OldGoat wrote: »
    I should ban you for making me check that those links were safe. I had to click each with my eyes half closed, just in case.
    LOL :D

When you hover over a link, a little popup sort of thing should appear down at the bottom of your screen, bottom left if using Firefox, it'll tell you where a link will take you.

Handy tip for anyone that doesn't know it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

Im afraid to click them :o

I got brave..ya brat Hal lol

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Though be careful.... nasty people are now hiding the links via other website. For example, say I want to link to DeVs Nasty Site... well you can move the mouse over that link and see that it likes to www.devsnastysite.com down the bottom of your browser. That way you can see what its going to take you to before you go there. Job's oxo.

BUT if I put my link through a link shortener (a site which makes long links short), it has the unfortunate affect of masking where you will be taken if you like to it.
    So, My Nasty Site now doesn't give you any hints as to where you will be brought. Try it out (its ok, its safe and doesnt go to anything nasty!)

Hope that helps!

DeV.

I Cant see anyones avitars..wheres um gone? :confused:

I ticked the box in the box ticking place.

chucken1 wrote: »
    I Cant see anyones avitars..wheres um gone? :confused:

I ticked the box in the box ticking place.
    In your Control Panel in Edit Options, scroll down to Thread Display Options, tick that "Show Avatars" box.

Or is that the box you ticked?

Got it Hal thanks :) I hadnt clicked 'save changes' :o

If I had a brain Id be dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Ramette

Good lord i can now see pictures beside peoples' names.. .its nearly too much! Ha ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭golden virginia

How do put in " location" on your boards profile? I have tried but i am baffled!

How do put in " location" on your boards profile? I have tried but i am baffled!

its what yer up to people want to know

not where you do it :p

if you go to your User CP (stands for Control Panel)
    click on the Edit Details bit (top left) and its an option I think about half way down

Thanks BBDBB location not there on my user CP - i have searched for it umpteen times - but maybe as you say its not important as what I'm up to!

I just changed mine using the above instructions I gave you

if you go to your User CP and click on Edit Details, how many options do you get?

I get ones for twitter and all sorts, my location is one of them

Oh thanks BBDBB - i got it - see - i put in Ireland! ( Will think up of something more creative soon)

you mean I visited my own page twice and thought of my own location and wrote 2, now 3 posts to you..............so you could put in "Ireland".....................................................

No I don't mean what you accuse - they're youre thoughts not mine - i was just asking for help on this forum

you asked

you received

seems like a good service

am I not allowed a small eye roll at the result?;):)

This thread has turned into a Boards helpline. Thats not a bad thing but I believe the original idea was much broader then just Boards.

How do I break through a password locked laptop. I'll search for the answer myself but just thought I could shortcut here to see if anyone has a quick and easy route to take.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

This thread has turned into a Boards helpline. Thats not a bad thing but I believe the original idea was much broader then just Boards.

How do I break through a password locked laptop. I'll search for the answer myself but just thought I could shortcut here to see if anyone has a quick and easy route to take.

What OS? (I'm assuming windows but ya never know!)

It's a windows OS but not sure what version yet. (Forgot to say that it's not my laptop). I'm texting the owner to find out what he's using.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

It's a windows OS but not sure what version yet. (Forgot to say that it's not my laptop). I'm texting the owner to find out what he's using.

Grand so.

If it's XP:
    Ask them to try booting in safe mode.
    (Turn on the computer, hit F8 before the Windows boot thing appears, Choose "Boot in safe mode")
    It'll look a bit weird, but that's ok. Safe mode is your regular computer but with various tech stuff turned off. For safety!
    With any luck, you'll see an account called "Administrator"
    Head into that account and change the passwords for any user you please!

If it's not XP, they might need to use a password reset program. Or reinstall the entire system, deleting all data on the computer. :/

Windows makes things kinda secure. :(

Edit: If the user can get into the admin account, by default there is no password on it. Using the admin account they can reset all passwords.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Is this a dos laptop before they boot

If so get the model number and do a search for manufacturers password , if you can't find it online ring the manufacture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

A few days ago I logged on in the morning and was out until eveningtime ...... when I got on the laptop I was still logged on. How come?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Google trinity rescue kit

Spread wrote: »
    A few days ago I logged on in the morning and was out until eveningtime ...... when I got on the laptop I was still logged on. How come?

when you log on, do you tick the Remember Me box?

if you dont you log out automatically after 15/20 mins I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭franc 91

I still don't know how to put in fadas - I've got an AZERTY keyboard (as I happen to live in France) why isn't there an easy way of doing it? Here if I need to put a letter with an accent on it, it's already on the keyboard. I've seen that long long ago (fada fada) they did in fact have an Irish keyboard with letters with fadas already on them. It's just so frustrating. There's a lot more that I don't know how to do - as I have never been on any kind of IT training course, so up till now, I've been muddling through.
    &é"'(-è_çà)=
    azertyuiop¨^
    qsdfghjklm%ù*
    wxcvbn,;:!
    and I don't even have a key for the euro sign!(chuis nul en informatique!)

try híttíng thé kéy whilst yóu hóld down the "Alt Gr" key

my euro sign is the alternative to the number 4 and $ sign, again pressing Alt Gr is what accesses it €

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

Or if you hit start and type charmap into the box, you'll have all the random characters you'd ever want.

Advertisement