Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sony 65" OLED price drop

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

https://www.did.ie/lg-cx-65-4k-ultra-hd-oled-smart-tv-black-oled65cx5lb-oled65cx5lb-prd The sony is a great tv, but for the new consoles the lg supports 4k 120fps through all 4 hdmi inputs. This is what i'll be buying. I haven't checked other sites for cheaper prices yet.

There may be issues with some features on the LG tv's when running 4k 120fps.
    Hopefully LG find a fix

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭dasilverfox

branners69 wrote: »
    I cant believe OLED suffer from screen burn. I still have a Pioneer plasma which is nearly 15 years old which had the same issue.

I am interested in upgrading to OLED but dont want the screen burn hassle, especially as it isnt covered by the guarantee!!

Yeah that's true. that's one of the reasons i've changed my mind about buying the LG, also peak brightness is not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭dasilverfox

There may be issues with some features on the LG tv's when running 4k 120fps.
    Hopefully LG find a fix

I watched that video last night lol. Thanks for that.

I cant believe OLED suffer from screen burn. I still have a Pioneer plasma which is nearly 15 years old which had the same issue.

Yea its balls but does it really happen ?
    I think i seen one guy on a forum that had one of the first ones and he only watched cricket/sky news and his was in bits from the bannors.

If you appreciate a good picture an OLED is hard to beat!
    + the panels are so thin if you want to wall mount

dulpit wrote: »
    Bonkers to me that you'd pay over 2 grand on a TV but then use IPTV (unless you mean Netflix/Prime/etc)

Not sure I follow the reasoning here?

Are you saying that someone willing to drop 2k should be able to afford Sky or Virgin?

Or are you saying that IPTV isn't able to maximise the potential of a super expensive TV?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,261 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Are you saying that someone willing to drop 2k should be able to afford Sky or Virgin?

Or are you saying that IPTV isn't able to maximise the potential of a super expensive TV?

A little from point A, but mainly point B.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Even the "best" services are limited to 1080p at 50fps and they're often running at a low bitrate to remain somewhat stable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭Barr

Folks talking about IPTV , I dont think the smart stb app is available on sony tvs .

Only LG and samsung.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

TheDriver wrote: »
    Always sterling and use revolut

Do you need to change the money in your revolut account first to stg?
    I take it, if you leave it in euro, it won't auto convert to stg and you'll be fleeced by amazon?
    Is there much of a difference?

I am interested in upgrading to OLED but dont want the screen burn hassle, especially as it isnt covered by the guarantee!!

I can speak from experience and they do suffer screen burn .

Had a LG oled which had to go back becasuse of it . In fairness to LG, they covered the price of a new tv .

I miss the oled picture though, watching football was so clear . Especially in HDR with prime when they were showing the matches last xmas.

• Advertisement

Do you need to change the money in your revolut account first to stg?
    I take it, if you leave it in euro, it won't auto convert to stg and you'll be fleeced by amazon?
    Is there much of a difference?

With Revolut it will take from a balance of a currency if you have it. If you don't, it'll convert for you automatically. So if you're using Revolut on UK sites, always pay in sterling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

dulpit wrote: »
    With Revolut it will take from a balance of a currency if you have it. If you don't, it'll convert for you automatically. So if you're using Revolut on UK sites, always pay in sterling.

Cheers, thought you had to convert to stg on your revolut card first, didn't realise it was automatic, very handy. So I assume its the stg rate and a charge too but still cheaper than Amazon

Cheers, thought you had to convert to stg on your revolut card first, didn't realise it was automatic, very handy. So I assume its the stg rate and a charge too but still cheaper than Amazon

Way better rate than amazon, no charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭dubrov

dulpit wrote:
    Way better rate than amazon, no charge.

Except if you convert at the weekend when the FX markets are closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,557 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Dam it. Here I was thinking I could afford it lol. It's still crazy money for something you just look at. A well maybe in a few years.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Andy454

The lack of a 7day Program guide on the Satellite stations is a real pain for all of models of this brand of TV.

All it shows is now and next, you have to schedule recordings the old school VCR way and it won't update if there is a change in programming at the TV station....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭ondafly

Barr wrote: »
    I can speak from experience and they do suffer screen burn .

Had a LG oled which had to go back becasuse of it . In fairness to LG, they covered the price of a new tv .

same - I have an OLED LG Tv with horrendous screen burn. I babied the TV and it still got severe burn. Red color shows it up most of all. I tried to get assistance from LG on it, and they were useless. I also couldn't find my receipt from Powercity, so I'm completely stuck. I wouldn't go OLED again.

@Barr - if you have any info/advice on how you got the issue resolved please send it my way !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

What model?

The older ones had worse burn-in than newer I have read.

After using OLED other screens look crap so not going back :)

srsly78 wrote: »
    What model?

I've actually just now fired mails off to LG and Powercity to see can I have it sorted.

It is an OLED55B7V - bought 1st of November 2017

Link to a pic of it showing just red

https://imgur.com/uoCNPku

Its actually alot worse in person. I do agree the picture from the OLED is fantastic, but sadly it is fleeting.

It's pretty obvious you had static images on that screen...

• Advertisement

It's pretty obvious you had static images on that screen...

The images are icons yes - from multiple things. Rocket League for example, logos from SKY etc. But surely you can play a game for a few hours without issue ? it was even the suggested TV for playing with the XBOX at the time.

the center of the screen though - no static images there, and its nearly grey at this stage, when showing red.

OLED screen is not suitable for display of static items. You had to have them there for hundreds of hours with no change to cause that.

You said you 'babied' it but this was not the case at all. Did you just leave it turned on 24/7 with same stuff displayed?

I've had a 55C8 for a year now, need to wait another 2 years for comparison. But I don't use it for static display at all so...

edit: Did you buy a cheap display-model from store? That might explain the logos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

mikeecho wrote: »
    I once bought a bottle of whiskey on Amazon.. there was a mix up, and I received a cement mixer.

They were cool about it, gave me a refund, and told me to keep the cement mixer.
    Just quoting this :D:D:D

We need a new telly but not spending €2700 on one
    Thread title was a bit off

OLED screen is not suitable for display of static items. You had to have them there for hundreds of hours with no change to cause that.

You said you 'babied' it but this was not the case at all. Did you just leave it turned on 24/7 with same stuff displayed?

I've had a 55C8 for a year now, need to wait another 2 years for comparison. But I don't use it for static display at all so...

edit: Did you buy a cheap display-model from store? That might explain the logos.

It cost approximately €1800 and was brand new in box.

I was fully aware of the limitations of OLED, but still managed to get the result you see. Pixel refresher was used as per LG documentation also. The TV wasn't on for hours 24/7, at most 3-4 hours a day in the evenings. I have a PSVita (which has an OLED screen), and that has zero burn in, after 100s of hours of gaming on it.

What model?

Mine was 65C6V that had to go back with screen burn . Maybe the newer models are better as they come with a 5 year warranty so gives peace of mind .

ondafly wrote: »
    same - I have an OLED LG Tv with horrendous screen burn. I babied the TV and it still got severe burn. Red color shows it up most of all. I tried to get assistance from LG on it, and they were useless. I also couldn't find my receipt from Powercity, so I'm completely stuck. I wouldn't go OLED again.

@Barr - if you have any info/advice on how you got the issue resolved please send it my way !

Yeah , I just went back to the retailer . In my case it was currys. In fairness they collected the tv and once it was established as screen burn , LG have me a credit in the shop .

Currys had an electronic receipt - note sure what the story with power city is.

Yeah , I just went back to the retailer . In my case it was currys. In fairness they collected the tv and once it was established as screen burn , LG have me a credit in the shop .

Currys had an electronic receipt - note sure what the story with power city is.

Power City said to me :

Hi ondafly,

Screen burn is not an warranty issue at any stage, sorry. It is not a manufacturing fault with the set.
    There is a screen wash process that should be done when powering the set off to prevent this.

Best Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭techdiver

Mine was 65C6V that had to go back with screen burn . Maybe the newer models are better as they come with a 5 year warranty so gives peace of mind .

The warranty specifically doesn't cover burn in. Funny how LG claim burn in is not a risk yet won't stand over that statement with their warranty.

I'm in the market for an OLED (77 inch, but waiting for a price drop or two) myself but a number of things are putting me off at the moment. The burn in issue is one of them, but more so is screen quality issues (loads of people having to return sets with terrible banding especially in larger screen sizes) this year along with poor near black performance.

ondafly wrote: »
    Power City said to me :

Hi ondafly,

Screen burn is not an warranty issue at any stage, sorry. It is not a manufacturing fault with the set.
    There is a screen wash process that should be done when powering the set off to prevent this.

Best Regards

That wasn't the stance they took with my tv . Maybe my model had a known issue as there was no argument from them about the issue.

• Advertisement

techdiver wrote: »
    The warranty specifically doesn't cover burn in. Funny how LG claim burn in is not a risk yet won't stand over that statement with their warranty.

I'm in the market for an OLED (77 inch, but waiting for a price drop or two) myself but a number of things are putting me off at the moment. The burn in issue is one of them, but more so is screen quality issues (loads of people having to return sets with terrible banding especially in larger screen sizes) this year along with poor near black performance.

That is interesting . Seems LG have put in a get out of jail card for themselves .

In the end I replaced my oled with one of their higher end nano cell tvs.

Advertisement