Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why aren't there more strong Dublin accents in the media?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I honestly think my accent is ****ing hilarious ...

thooorrrssssshy threee ..sissssh (sit)

I like all our accents.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I might be drunk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Dublin accents are great, as long as the 'th' is kept intact ... :)

Snobbery basically is the reason.

There should be more.

More snobbery?

Hear hear! Bully for you, what!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,916 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

One is reminded of that amusing little moment of hilarity.

What exactly is a Crèche?

It's when two cars collide in Dalkey :)

But more to the point, I was also reminded how awful the Tallaght accent is when a number of Shamrock Rovers were interviewed in advance of the big match last week. I chap went from Buzzing to Sad to Gutted to buzzing (yeh know what I mean like) in one sentence without taking a single breath.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

Brian Kerr represents to the fullest

• Registered Users Posts: 12,955 ✭✭✭✭bnt

KaneToad wrote: »
    What's a 'posh' accent?
    One that can be understood by people outside Dublin, or even people outside Ireland? It’s the same in the UK: people like Scottish accents, but a gentle Edinburgh accent rather than a strong Glaswegian. Think Fiona Bruce rather than Rab C. Nesbitt, or Billy Connolly when he’s on stage in London.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭bb1234567

For the same reason advertisers of skin products having good skin..presenters main job is to be easily understood

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Real Life wrote: »
    Brian Kerr represents to the fullest

I actually like both Brian Kerr and his accent tbh. Ronnie Drew was another one with a voice you could listen to forever imo.

Can't stand the orr-chee-ee accent. Where the **** does that even come from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Cos it's grating to listen to it, it's got nothing to do with where the person is from.

You want someone with a neutral accent because you have to listen to them for thirty minutes to an hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

We need more strong Belfast accents on RTE - inclusiveness like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

They can pronounce thirty three and a third properly?

This.

It seems as though every second person on Irish radio is talking about tree percent increases and turteen tausand and turty new jobs for Dublin.

Its nearly as though people who pronounce dere th's are sent home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

I actually like both Brian Kerr and his accent tbh. Ronnie Drew was another one with a voice you could listen to forever imo.

I'll give ye a cleeue, and no, nobody got his balls broken.:

Ballsbr...e

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Way for the next big media push all things Black.So we will have accents like strong African ones even tho they have been educated here.Look at some of the Irish hip hop scene if swear they were London yardies

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

It seems to me that Joe Duffy is the only well-known broadcaster in Ireland with what could be considered a strong Dublin accent. Why do a lot of Dublin broadcasters have neutral or posh accents?

Because nobody wants to hear the news being read by someone adding 'in anyways' to every sentence. The West Dublin version of America's 'and sh1t'.

https://www.dailyedge.ie/words-phrases-dublin-1890459-Jan2015/

I can just see Sharon saying Ask Me Ar*e. Would be an exceedingly pleasant conversation I've no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Because if you want to present you take elocution lessons to eradicate a thick accent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

While not comparable you don't people with mad cockney accents "guv nor" this and "guv nor" that on the BBC.

The young chap on Prime Time with the pronounced Dublin accent is probably an exception to your thesis.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,712 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

RTE stilted 'received pronunciation'. No-one speaks like that in real life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Jimmy McGill

RTE stilted 'received pronunciation'. No-one speaks like that in real life.

When did this fake American accent come about in Dublin? Your one Caitríona Perry that presents the news these days is a prime example

It's a shocking accent IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

imme wrote: »
    While not comparable you don't people with mad cockney accents "guv nor" this and "guv nor" that on the BBC.

The young chap on Prime Time with the pronounced Dublin accent is probably an exception to your thesis.

Yep, here in Canuckistan, the French Canadian accents that one can liken to a heavy brogue wouldn't cut it. Up until the sixties, radio and TV announcers needed to speak as close to possible as a Parisian French. Nowadays, they call it "international French", and are much looser, closer to our dialects. France is the same, they wouldn't put on someone with the accents from the "banlieues" for newscasts. The world over, it's a job of ironing out the pointy bits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Jimmy McGill

If you want to hear a good example of the fake Dublin-American accent take a trip on the luas green line from the city centre to Sandyford. You hear some beauties on there.

"omg goys I forgotshhh my leap cord"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

If you want yizzer daily dose of Dubness, just tune into Fair Cirree and you'll get a week's supply in one go. Or,wait a while and there'll be a Ryan offspring along in a minute to give you the Clontarf viewpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

A lot of people on TV professionally have a tv voice and don't actually speak like that in real life. I know one.

Some accents just make people sound dumb I find and some are just painful to listen to (thick Cork and Kerry accents come to mind) so people would turn off on that basis Id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

It comes from elocution. It's not orr-chee-ee, Its ar-tee-ee. The R is pronounced with an ar sound as in the word "are", not an or sound as in the word "or".

I cant blame RTE for getting its presenters people to pronounce things correctly. It's not the way I speak but I appreciate they have to speak some way, so why not do it correctly?

It comes from elocution. It's not orr-chee-ee, Its R-tee-ee. The R is pronounced with an ar sound as in the word "are", not an or sound as in the word "or".

I cant blame RTE for getting its presenters people to pronounce things correctly. It's not the way I speak but I appreciate they have to speak some way, so why not do it correctly?
    Let's not split hairs here. No matter if it's chee or tee. They sound like a cnut either way.

Gimme Kerr or Christy Dignam over that unionist cnut "Dobbo" any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Let's not split hairs here. No matter if it's chee or tee. They sound like a cnut either way.

Well, It is tee and not chee. They just pronounce the letters R, T and E correctly. Cant fault them for that.

Because someone speaks a certain way you call them a unionist xxx

How very mature of you.

Dobbo is a fine broadcaster, well done Dobbo I say.

imme wrote: »
    Because someone speaks a certain way you call them a unionist xxx

How very mature of you.

Dobbo is a fine broadcaster, well done Dobbo I say.

I don't know is the accent related to being unionist, they have plenty of rough accents too, but both acts combined certainly render one a cnut.

I don't know is the accent related to being unionist, they have plenty of rough accents too, but both acts combined certainly render one a cnut.

Well done on explaining yourself. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Mango Joe wrote: »
    This.

It seems as though every second person on Irish radio is talking about tree percent increases and turteen tausand and turty new jobs for Dublin.

Its nearly as though people who pronounce dere th's are sent home.

don't forget Tin Lizzy !

Advertisement