Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Car Insurance

• 21-05-2020 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭

Managed to get the car renew down from €650 to €450 through AIG
    Promo Code AIG20 Applied.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,233 ✭✭✭✭ted1

cubix wrote: »
    Managed to get the car renew down from €650 to €450 through AIG
    Promo Code AIG20 Applied.

My car insurance went down a similar amount. Not sure it’s just an AIG thing.

But my house insurance was cheaper with AIG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭cubix

I can only presume AIG are on a bit of a sales drive at the Mo as I had filled in a number of other online quote forms which are far tooooooo long. Lads if you want people to shop around you should have cut down version of the form of the important stuff so people can get a feel and if they bite get down to the detail when you do a follow up. AA/ Liberty/ Friends first were all more or less the same as existing FBD quote or higher, think Liberty were about €130 more than everyone else. I could get the AIG quote lower again by about €35 if I pushed the excess amount up to the max (€750) but chose €300 I think.

Had something similar a couple of years ago I think with via Tesco and home insurance where they were €150 cheaper than everyone else and I think the company that underwrote it for Tesco I had already tried and found more expensive than my existing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Just got qoute from AIG.
    I was with 25 plus last year and the new AIG quote is €100 cheaper than I could find elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

Liberty are quoting me 300 quid cheaper than AIG after discount

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭cubix

Wuff Wuff wrote: »

Lucky man, nice saving. Swings and round abouts i suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

cubix wrote: »
    Lucky man, nice saving. Swings and round abouts i suppose.

aye, cheers for the heads up anyways :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 JrdiH

I got the best quote with Bank of Ireland car insurance, 200 quid cheaper than last year's renewal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

AIG prices for my home insurance and car insurance this year was the best I could find, so switched over to them, happy out with the savings

I have no loyalty to any company in the insurance market and switch my business each year, better in my pocket than theirs.

People think its a pain to keep switching, I find it relatively easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭TheBigEvil

I've been with AIG for last 2 years with Car Insurance, and moved House Insurance to them last year was well. Found them the cheapest for both. My car Insurance came down to €425 from €440 with them last year, and couldn't find cheaper, for the same level of cover.

I always shop around when Car & House insurances come up for renewal, and found AIG to be cheapest over last couple of years for me. But will always move in a heartbeat if they increase. Shop around people. I always put a reminder in my phone for one moth prior to renewal so I get looking ahead of it to get a sense of prices before the renewal price comes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

115 eur more expensive than the quote i got yesterday with aviva

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

Wuff Wuff wrote: »

Mine was €390 this year with Aviva. Liberty wanted almost €900.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭bailey99

554 quoted which is about 15% dearer than my current provider quoted for renewal.
    I priced quotes every year and in the last five year without fail, Liberty and AIG have been the dearest every single time. Liberty I don't know what people are doing to get the low quotes, cause whether it's a new car or old car, the quote is always the highest.

10+ years licence, 10+ years no claims.........makes no difference to Liberty.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,769 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

My renewal from the broker I used last year (insurance would have been with Allianz) was €580.

I rang Quote Devil having heard an ad on the radio just before I sat down to do my annual ring-around-every-company-I-can-possibly-think-of (never used them before) got the same comp cover with Allianz for €360. They also undercut my house insurance renewal quote - not by as much, but still a saving.

I did wonder was it due to current circumstances, or just the old broker chancing their arm bigstyle with a huge renewal quote.

The difference was so huge that I didn't try trading them off against each oher, just gave QD the business!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

I have been with AA car insurance for the last 3 years. This year I decided to check out a few other providers. I got it 400 euro cheaper with itsforwomen.ie. 2 of us (males) insured for 480 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

gazzer wrote: »
    I have been with AA car insurance for the last 3 years. This year I decided to check out a few other providers. I got it 400 euro cheaper with itsforwomen.ie. 2 of us (males) insured for 480 euro.

Wait, so males can get a quote from itsforwomen.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

JeffKenna wrote: »

Yeah. If you go onto www.onebigswitch.ie there is a car insurance offer on it from itsforwomen.ie and it specifies that "This exclusive offer is for all One Big Switch members, you do not need be a woman to avail of this offer".

• Registered Users Posts: 51,100 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Lol, AIG's quote for me including this "discount" is about €400 more expensive than the others. Pulling random numbers from the air it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,233 ✭✭✭✭ted1

JeffKenna wrote: »

It’s be sexist if you couldn’t. You just can’t join curves gym .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,769 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I had insurance with Its4Women a few years ago, and had to cancel it - their small print regarding driving other cars was very hooky, and screamed "get-out-clause" to me, and they refused point-blank to clarify it.

They were also a bit of a nightmare to deal with when you actually needed to talk to a human, took a lot of effort and time.

So regardless of saving, I've avoided them and similar since (25+ is the same crowd, and I think they have other variations on the theme).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

AIG aren't issuing any refunds to current policy holders so I would assume they can reduce their quotes as a result

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭gernon

I got a very decent quote from Zurich recently much cheaper than final offer from FBD.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭adox

I recently renewed with Aviva after using them last year as well. They were by far the cheapest.

I still rang them asking if they could do any better and they knocked 30 odd quid off. Told them Id think about it, that Id look around first for alternatives. They applied the 30 euro discount to my online account and left it there as the new quote in case I wanted to renew which I did in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

I renewed with AIG at the start of this month, the quote was €100 cheaper than my current insurance renewal quote which was with Zurich.

I used to stick around with insurance companies if there's not much difference in quote. Now I can switch even for €20-30. Really doesn't take any effort. Only needed to upload my no claim bonus cert + license and pay online.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

Just got my renewal quote from Quote Devil, despite no refund issued for this year as some insurance companies are doing, my quote is slightly higher this year than last. I'll be having a few words before renewal date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

bennyx_o wrote: »
    AIG aren't issuing any refunds to current policy holders so I would assume they can reduce their quotes as a result
    They increased my home and car by €300 so they aren't even doing that much. Probably no point even calling them as they will just offer the usual €50 off or whatever, time to go shopping around.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭OnLooker

I see FBD have 20% off Car Insurance using 'Team20' until Thursday night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭deathbomber

OnLooker wrote: »

Not working

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Gotfoodforphil

OnLooker wrote: »

Expired 19th April

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭OnLooker

Weird seems to be working now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,125 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Renewed my insurance about two weeks ago. Quite from AA was 660, I shopped around and Aviva was around 510 euro. AA we're ringing me to renew and I just told them AVIVA was 472 and they matched it. It a small jeep I have.

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement