Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Maria Bailey's Final Statement in Comic Sans

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

...if I had my way, twitter would be done away with

That would be bliss. We'd never hear from the big orange bollix in Washington

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Stark wrote: »
    Never mind the Comic Sans, I'm loving the primary school essay style "The End." finish.

That's one of the few things that is actually correct about this. It's standard format for press releases to include "ENDS" at the end of the statement.

Contact information for the press officer will usually be at the very bottom of the press release so "ENDS" denotes the end of the content, and that anything below that should not be published.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Stark wrote: »
    Never mind the Comic Sans, I'm loving the primary school essay style "The End." finish.

Entirely normal on a press release

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭XLR 8

Before this swing gate ****e started I'd never heard of Maria Bailey and pretty soon she will fade from my memory. But füčk me it got me thinking. She really is an elected member of our parliament !!! She's not short of money she had a privellaged upbringing a great job a nice lifestyle. Yet she still tried to milk a newly refurbished hotel which was bringing employment and relighting a part of our city , because she fell on her arse!!!! I meet more honourable people daily who would never contemplate such a claim. Maria is from a different world to the decent hardworking citizens who pay their taxes in Ireland. To think that one cent of my taxes ever ended up in this gob****es pocket really sticks in my gullet. To think her boss left it up to the local foot soldiers of his party to deliver the coupe de grace is beyond belief. Those women & men Maria whose blood flowed down our streets so a nation could be born would be disgusted by your behaviour. I don't think countess Markievicz if you've ever heard of her would let you clean her gun. Fine Gael as I know it died this year, no guts no glory. If anything positive comes of all this it'll be that a light has been shone by you on just how your ilk think. It is time for not alone you but all of your self centred type to be removed from public office. The ballot box will do that job for free. We started our journey to freedom with amazing brave women who would have died for our nation and for you. You followed them into public office and this is how you behave. Go and stand at their graves and maybe then you might get where I'm coming from. You represent no-one.You are not worth their ghosts. To hold public office is an honour but you must also repay it by behaving with honour.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,902 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Fine Gael "died" years ago.

You have to go back to Garret FitzGerald to find even a modicum of honour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Honestly, in spite of being brought up to date on the font (and still not caring), the fact that the replies to the tweet were about the font rather than why she was dropped (insurance fraud) still says it all.
    I couldn't care less if she wrote it by hand, the dirty insurance cheating skank. She should be being brought to court for fraud, not being dropped from a general election ticket.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

seamus wrote: »
    Nah, it's not outrage, it's mocking.

Comic Sans is the font that someone technologically inept uses and then stands back thinking what a great job they've done, how they could charge a fraction of the price to do up professinal flyers.

It's a running joke that when someone uses comic sans for anything, especially if they're trying to make it look "fun", then you're dealing with a clueless technophobe.

Maria Bailey went one further and wrote a formal public press release, on headed paper emblazoned with an official harp...in comic sans.

It's not outrage, just a mixture of slagging and outright disbelief that anyone could be such a simpleton.

How the heck is a font style an indicator of one that is technologically inept?

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Dramatik

F**K Helvetica! Hup da Comic sans!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭jetsonx

XLR 8 wrote: »
    Yet she still tried to milk a newly refurbished hotel which was bringing employment and relighting a part of our city , because she fell on her arse!!!! I meet more honourable people daily who would never contemplate such a claim. Maria is from a different world to the decent hardworking citizens who pay their taxes in Ireland. To think that one cent of my taxes ever ended up in this gob****es pocket really sticks in my gullet. To think her boss left it up to the local foot soldiers of his party to deliver the coupe de grace is beyond belief. Those women & men Maria whose blood flowed down our streets so a nation could be born would be disgusted by your behaviour. I don't think countess Markievicz if you've ever heard of her would let you clean her gun. Fine Gael as I know it died this year, no guts no glory.

Well said.

After this disgusting incident, I also view Fine Gael in totally different light. They tried to prop up this fraud. For me, Maria Bailey has done irreparable damage to the Fine Gael brand.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 322 ✭✭SJW Lover

jetsonx wrote: »
    Well said.

After this disgusting incident, I also view Fine Gael in totally different light. They tried to prop up this fraud. For me, Maria Bailey has done irreparable damage to the Fine Gael brand.

Ah stop. Everything is reparable in terms of politics. I'm sure Fianna Fail had done "irrepearable" damage to themselves too 10 years ago. They'll be voted back in before too long. Electorates are stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

2YMza.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

I write with a biro

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I write with a biro
    Proper form!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

scotchy wrote: »
    Googled "Comic Sans humour" for the above. Cant believe there is so much derision for it.

If you enjoy font related humour there is a really funny SNL skit about Papyrus featuring Ryan Gosling on youtube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

YFlyer wrote: »
    How the heck is a font style an indicator of one that is technologically inept?

The fact that you are asking that indicates a similar lack of awareness. It's like someone wearing a corduroy suit to a wedding, and getting made fun of. And you're the guy saying, 'What do you mean it's unfashionable, sure isn't it a suit?'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

The fact that you are asking that indicates a similar lack of awareness. It's like someone wearing a corduroy suit to a wedding, and getting made fun of. And you're the guy saying, 'What do you mean it's unfashionable, sure isn't it a suit?'

I used to have a corduroy suit, but yes I'm not aware of the importance of fonts either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

The only people who would make fun of what a person wears to a wedding are insecure ignorant childish idiots.

Advertisement