Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ford v. Ferrari

• 03-06-2019 7:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭

Academy Award-winners Matt Damon and Christian Bale star in FORD v FERRARI, based on the remarkable true story of the visionary American car designer Carroll Shelby (Damon) and the fearless British-born driver Ken Miles (Bale), who together battled corporate interference, the laws of physics, and their own personal demons to build a revolutionary race car for Ford Motor Company and take on the dominating race cars of Enzo Ferrari at the 24 Hours of Le Mans in France in 1966.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

im going to have to put hat one in the hells yeah category, looks awesome

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭El Duda

Sign me up!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I've just told the missis I am going to see this with or without her.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

This ticks all the boxes for me.

Pencil me excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Bale is must watch. Best actor working today imo. Looking forward to this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,751 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

theres nothing that annoys me more then watching people chew gum

• Registered Users Posts: 12,955 ✭✭✭✭bnt

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭MfMan

Morrison J wrote: »
    Bale is must watch. Best actor working today imo. Looking forward to this.

Most intense, annoying, self-obsessed actor perhaps...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Anyone else find it weirdly jarring to hearing Bale speak in a (his?) UK accent? I'm so used to him putting on a Stateside drawl, it briefly made me go "wait, what?"...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

MfMan wrote: »
    Most intense, annoying, self-obsessed actor perhaps...

All those traits seem like they'd go hand in hand with a great actor, no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84,809 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The title for Europe is Le Mans 66

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    The title for Europe is Le Mans 66
    Yeah got a shock yesterday when I saw that. Reckon Ford vs. Ferrari actually sounds better, it's about a dogfigt between two car companies, naming the movie after the race seems odd

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭ErnestBorgnine

Looks interesting, shame about the 2 leads.

Can't do Bale, massive prick & hugely overestimates his talents.

Day-Lewis he isn't.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I can't wait to see Damon and Bale. Both seem perfect fits for the roles.
    Hoping to see this in the cinema as I have a real thing for old cars. :)

Agree it seems odd to have changed the title for Europe. The story does seem more about the rivalry than the race itself.

Spoiler free, basically its great and Christian Bale steals the show

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Heading to it tomorrow in the Everyman in Cork as part of the film festival - can't wait to see it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Have a suspicion this will be the stereotypical "plucky American underdog (and British friend) against moustache-twirling, filthy rich European" but hopefully not.

Have a suspicion this will be the stereotypical "plucky American underdog (and British friend) against moustache-twirling, filthy rich European" but hopefully not.

the gist I got is that its creators against corporations so sounds like it would be plucky underdogs clashing against Ford

Day-Lewis he isn't.

Harsh on Bale! I mean massive prick yes, but the boy is talented indeed. Just sit down and watch Empire of the Sun again and you'll see. He has quite a few outstanding performances I would say. Daniel Day Lewis he ain't but he's head and shoulders above the various one speed actors that are loved like Gosling, Pitt et al.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭seenitall

This looks like capitalising on the acclaim for "Rush", I don't think there would have been an interest to do this story otherwise. The same rivalry pattern to the story, in the same setting, at roughly the same time period.

Agree with alchemist33 as well.

Btw, Ryan Gosling blew me away with his performance in "The Believer". He was 20, giving a terrifically mature and nuanced performance, one of the best I've seen in a film dealing head on with a very unpleasant subject matter. About Pitt however - I can agree with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Day-Lewis he isn't.

Haha. **** off you absolute fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭ErnestBorgnine

Haha. **** off you absolute fool.

Go **** yourself you know nothing prick :)

Another clown who can't handle his kiddies films and their stars being critiqued.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note - Don’t think I even need to say why this note is here. Keep it civil.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

Saw it last night as part of the the Cork film festival.
    It's good but not great. To be honest as racing movies go I preferred Rush. This movie didn't disappoint as such, but also didn't live up to the lofty expectations I had for it that the critics created by lavishing so much praise upon it.
    Didn't think there was any need to create a pantomine villian for example as among some of things that didn't sit right with me.

The actual race was done very well even if there was some CGI used for it, but it really let's you get a feel of the atmosphere of the race, even though the tension of which manafactuer is going to emerge victorious is absent.
    Decent performances from the cast as well, particularly the chemistry between Damon & Bale as Shelby and Miles respectively being the main focus of the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I think his has been rename as ''Le Mans 66''. Maybe the thread title should amended.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Was a great film. Will it win Oscars, no. Will you enjoy it, yes! Bale is great craic and Damon does a good job as Shelby. But in the cinema I saw it was called le mans also

• Registered Users Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭seenitall

"Le Mans '66" for Europe, "Ford v Ferrari" for the American market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

Saw this tonight and its an absolute belter of a film. Loved every second of it. It gets stuck in right from the word go and never lets up. Theres not one moment were the pace sags. Its just a proper entertaining movie, and a really good family one at that. Why they felt the need to rename it le mans 66 in Europe is beyond me. But this is a minor gripe. Go see it, it'll restore your faith in movies and for my money its a lot better than Rush.

its a great movie, one for the cinema screen, for a 2 and a half hour movie it didnt feel it. Jon Berthal and Catriona Balfe had good screen presence too. The movie was light enough on the under the bonnet stuff. hope it does well in the box office and sends a signal that audiences like good character driven movies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

silverharp wrote: »
    the gist I got is that its creators against corporations so sounds like it would be plucky underdogs clashing against Ford

You were right.

Just home and still an emotional wreck. This was just a brilliant film.

Advertisement