Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas 2019 purchases

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Quality Street downsized again for Christmas this year - from 720g to 650g – with more chocolates and fewer toffees
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/sep/09/happy-christmas-shrinkflation-trims-quality-street-again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Jude13

Im out. voting with my pocket.

But then read the article, "jumbo 2kg tin", Im back in

• Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Are the current tubs in the supermarkets smaller than last year? They look the same to me, not that I've picked any up yet.

Anyway, we organised the santa shop over the weekend, ordered online from Smyths & already got a call this morning before we left looking to organise delivery, so thats the main bit out of the way. Just to pick up a few small stocking fillers for them now & then move on to the extended family list which is restricted to our one another, our parents & nephews.

edit.
    Just read the article, no toffee deluxe!??! Not impressed with that change at all, that was one of my favourites & usually one of the first to go in our house.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

DvB wrote: »
    Are the current tubs in the supermarkets smaller than last year? They look the same to me, not that I've picked any up yet.

Anyway, we organised the santa shop over the weekend, ordered online from Smyths & already got a call this morning before we left looking to organise delivery, so thats the main bit out of the way. Just to pick up a few small stocking fillers for them now & then move on to the extended family list which is restricted to our one another, our parents & nephews.

That is super organised!

The oldest Elf saw a bike she liked over the weekend so think that's the first big present organised.

Will have to get a wiggle on to catch up some on here :):D

TRS30 wrote: »
    That is super organised!

The oldest Elf saw a bike she liked over the weekend so think that's the first big present organised.

Will have to get a wiggle on to catch up some on here :):D

We do the same every year. Got caught badly when they were younger & left it until closer to christmas & couldnt get the one thing our little lady really wanted, the look of disappointment on her face christmas morning when she realised she wasnt getting what she has asked santa had me determined that wouldnt happen again. So we tend to get their santa list early, they're used to it & so far havent changed their minds on anything big enough to matter.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

otnomart wrote: »
    Quality Street downsized again for Christmas this year - from 720g to 650g – with more chocolates and fewer toffees
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/sep/09/happy-christmas-shrinkflation-trims-quality-street-again

I'm actually devastated by this. Quality Street are my favourite. :(

They need to stop with the shrinking and removal of sweets.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Loughc wrote: »
    I'm actually devastated by this. Quality Street are my favourite. :(

They need to stop with the shrinking and removal of sweets.

I remember someone put up a picture awhile ago of the Roses tin from the 80's beside a current one and the difference was :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I just posted the same article in the chat thread. I'm actually devastated about the toffee deluxe - it's my favourite, along with the fudge. Next, they'll go the route of Roses with the massive wrappers :(

CheerLouth wrote: »
    I just posted the same article in the chat thread. I'm actually devastated about the toffee deluxe - it's my favourite, along with the fudge. Next, they'll go the route of Roses with the massive wrappers :(

Ditto.
    I love the toffee's, & fudge, its what sets Quality Street apart from the others, roses, heroes etc. be a real shame to see them change that dynamic as it works so well.

Cadbury and Oreo have teamed up to create the ULTIMATE Christmas biscuit assortment
    I know Oreo are like Marmite in that some people hate them... but I do like them !
    https://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/food/food-news/oreo-cadbury-biscuits-bm-508263

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

Cadbury and Oreo have teamed up to create the ULTIMATE Christmas biscuit assortment
    I know Oreo are like Marmite in that some people hate them... but I do like them !
    https://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/food/food-news/oreo-cadbury-biscuits-bm-508263

My husband will lose his reason when he sees these :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

jellybear wrote: »
    My husband will lose his reason when he sees these :D

And me. Drool.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I'm not that pushed about the normal Oreos, but the chocolate-covered ones are amazing!

Scarinae wrote: »
    I'm not that pushed about the normal Oreos, but the chocolate-covered ones are amazing!

YES!!! Serious game changer.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

I saw posted somewhere that boots online have the All is Bright Yankee Candle for €13, and its on 3 for 2 so of course I had to order them. Not sure yet if they are a pressie for me or for others.

Anyway, we organised the santa shop over the weekend, ordered online
    Hat off to you, Sir !
    That's great organisation right there !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Any good recommendations for reasonably priced christmas decorations online?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,149 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Any good recommendations for reasonably priced christmas decorations online?

What exactly are you looking for?

What exactly are you looking for?

Bits and Bobs mainly, unusual things you wouldn't fine in woodies or Homestore etc.

Bits and Bobs mainly, unusual things you wouldn't fine in woodies or Homestore etc.

For a tree? Mantlepiece, wall, stairs, external?
    A little narrowing of what you're looking for would help greatly.

• Advertisement

For a tree? Mantlepiece, wall, stairs, external?
    A little narrowing of what you're looking for would help greatly.

not trees, tree decs or outdoor lights, I suppose homeware stuff and maybe nice animated characters and villages etc?

LOL sorry nothing in particular just a good site with loads to offer, you know the stuff you dont need but buy anyways that sort of stuff... man i'm awful at explaining myself:o

• Registered Users Posts: 30,149 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

:p
    not trees, tree decs or outdoor lights, I suppose homeware stuff and maybe nice animated characters and villages etc?

LOL sorry nothing in particular just a good site with loads to offer, you know the stuff you dont need but buy anyways that sort of stuff... man i'm awful at explaining myself:o

If I'm being honest I find shops change from year to year. I know I liked The Range a few years ago.
    Just go onto websites and type in Christmas and see what comes up.
    You may also find nice things in local gift shops or places like Carraig Donn.

I would hold out a while yet because special offers often appear in November. Especially with places like Woodies.

Funnily enough the homeware section in some of the Dunnes Stores have had some lovely bits the last few years, we've picked up some really nice bits n bobs in both Blanchardstown & Donaghmede SC's.

Yeah I do like the in store stuff in a lot of our stores (Dunnes, The range, Homestore etc) I was just was looking for online stores that maybe I and others are unaware of that specialize in christmas dec.

Yeah I do like the in store stuff in a lot of our stores (Dunnes, The range, Homestore etc) I was just was looking for online stores that maybe I and others are unaware of that specialize in christmas dec.

All kidding aside google is your friend ;)

I will do my research and report back any cool sites I find!:D

Take a look at Käthe Wohlfahrt.
    I have been in their shop while on holidays in Heidelberg and (v sadly) managed to talk myself into not buying anything, just because it was Summer and I had no space in my luggage.
    https://kaethe-wohlfahrt.com/en/home/

Take a look at Käthe Wohlfahrt.
    I have been in their shop while on holidays in Heidelberg and (v sadly) managed to talk myself into not buying anything, just because it was Summer and I had no space in my luggage.
    https://kaethe-wohlfahrt.com/en/home/

Great exactly what I was on about, had a quick look and already saw a few things I like like this https://kaethe-wohlfahrt.com/en/Christmas-World/Music-Boxes/Santa-s-Sleigh-Ride.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭Eleysian

Aldi have Christmas Craft kits coming in on Thursday, September 19th. Could be fun to put away until a bit closer to Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,519 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Great exactly what I was on about, had a quick look and already saw a few things I like like this https://kaethe-wohlfahrt.com/en/Christmas-World/Music-Boxes/Santa-s-Sleigh-Ride.html
    Oh great item, and website recommendation!

Advertisement