Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone X - €20 Prepay Offers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

nanook5 wrote: »
    Dial *#*#4636#*#* and change to LTE only to see if you can pick up 4G signal

Hi see attached, I can't seem to select LTE only....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭biebiebie

For me (and possibly others) this seems to be using only a subset (limited) part of the VF network.

The upshot of this is that I have, just like iD Mobile, a poor signal on my phone.

I have used the Opensignal app (Android) and observe the following.

I am connected to phone masts that are a far distance away. This is despite the fact that there are many other VF phone masts closer to me.

I was reading the terms and conditions before I signed up, and I guess I now understand section 16.

Basically we have to use live.vodafine.ie and not hs.vodafine.ie.

It appears to me that Live uses only a subset of the Vodafone network of phone masts. I guess that HS (High Speed?) offers a wider range (maybe all) of phone masts.

So depending on your physical location, you may find yourself using a weaker signal.

It might also mean that you are connected to a higher contention connection, as more "cheap plans" could be routed through it.

I suppose you may be lucky enough to live\work beside one of the Live phone masts, and you won't see this limitation so much.

Here's the Android app Opensignal.
    Can anyone else test my theory?
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.staircase3.opensignal

Here's the subset of the VF terms and conditions.

http://www.vodafone.ie/terms/pay-as-you-go/#vodafonex-general
    16. The 20GB data allowance can be used to access the internet via the below Access Point Networks only: wap.vodafone.ie & live.vodafone.com. Tethering over the HS APN or any other use of the HS APN will incur OOB charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭DopeTech

biebiebie wrote: »
    For me (and possibly others) this seems to be using only a subset (limited) part of the VF network.

The upshot of this is that I have, just like iD Mobile, a poor signal on my phone.

I am connected to phone masts that are a far distance away. This is despite the fact that there are many other VF phone masts closer to me.

I was reading the terms and conditions before I signed up, and I guess I now understand section 16.

It appears to me that Live uses only a subset of the Vodafone network of phone masts. I guess that HS (High Speed?) offers a wider range (maybe all) of phone masts.

So depending on your physical location, you may find yourself using a weaker signal.

It might also mean that you are connected to a higher contention connection, as more "cheap plans" could be routed through it.

I suppose you may be lucky enough to live\work beside one of the Live phone masts, and you won't see this limitation so much.

ID piggyback​ on 3, not Vodafone.

I find the signal to be fine. The HS apn is only used for tethering. This plan does not permit tethering therefore we do not have use of it. I don't think we're getting a raw deal here, you just might be unlucky in your location.

FrostyJim wrote: »

I find the signal to be fine. The HS apn is only used for tethering. This plan does not permit tethering therefore we do not have use of it. I don't think we're getting a raw deal here, you just might be unlucky in your location.

Yes I know that iD use Three.
    I was just using that as a comparison. (Potentially iD might also be using a subset of Three network and not the full network?)

Like I say this won't affect everyone.
    If you are near a Live phone mast then you wont observe this so easily.

FrostyJim wrote: »

I thought that earlier in the thread said that tethering is working on VF x?

Is the T&C wording not just a specific warning against using tethering via HS.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

The T&Cs say you are not allowed to use the live APN for tetheringn, and should use the HS one which will incure separate data charges (it will not use up the 20gb allowance).

But on an Android phone you can decide to be in breach with these and still use the live APN for tethering (whereas on an iPhone the tethering APN settings are locked by Vodafone and presumably set to the HS APN, but I don't think anyone has tried and confirmed).

I thought that earlier in the thread said that tethering is working on VF x?

Is the T&C wording not just a specific warning against using tethering via HS.?

It's works just fine. But you need to delete the hs.vodafone.ie apn from your phone first. Otherwise they will charge you. When you delete it it forces the phone to use the live.vodafone.ie apn which is what your phone uses for regular browsing on your phone.

If you an Android/windows phone it's straight forward. With iphones they have it locked down a bit more so it can't be removed easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

I'm on android and hs.vodafone isn't in my apn list

Ive got
    Isp.postfone.ie
    Isp.vodafone.ie
    Live.vodafone.com

Tethering fine for me at no cost

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I'd say they could have written whatever they felt like in the T&Cs to keep options for themselves in case the want to charge later, but might not be necessarily enforcing it for now.

I might give it at try on my iPhone in the coming days.

Just tested tethering there and can confirm it worked for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭PAKNET

The various APN's are used purely to allow Vodafone to bill you differently according to what you're doing (mobile, tethering, mobile broadband).

The standard APN for all customers (and hard coded for iPhone users) is live.vodafone.com.
    The tethering APN for all customers (and again hard coded for iPhone users) is office.vodafone.ie.

I believe isp.vodafone.ie is used for broadband and hs.vodafone.ie is used to differentiate the original 3G and the HSDPA+ networks (in essence you could pay for faster 3G). This is effectively redundant now.

I've found OpenSignal cell site maps aren't particularly accurate, or even if they are, it seems to have difficulty in determining which exact mast you are connecting to at any one time.

Also Vodafone have widespread Dual Carrier 3G so your phone can in fact be connected to two different masts simultaneously - this won't show up in OpenSignal.

Further add to the fact that not all sites are 4G enabled (so if your phone is set to prefer 4G at all costs you will connect to the nearest 4G mast, which is not necessarily the nearest mast to you).

Nice explanation there PAKNET.
    Many thanks for the info!

If anyone is thinking of tethering and have a balance on your account then I recommend you check to see if you have been charged.

I personally don't recommend this service for free tethering.
    I have officially been informed that it is not included.

Sorry I cannot divulge the specifics other than I recommend you check this out for yourself if in any doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,897 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

If anyone is thinking of tethering and have a balance on your account then I recommend you check to see if you have been charged.

I personally don't recommend this service for free tethering.
    I have officially been informed that it is not included.

Sorry I cannot divulge the specifics other than I recommend you check this out for yourself if in any doubt.

We all know it's not included. But as long as you only use the live.vodafone.ie apn you won't be charged.

I tested on an iPhone and tethering worked fine with no change to any settings. Was not charged.

Currently testing it out on Android. The Live APN was selected but it seems I'm being charged. Just deleted the HS APN and will check if I'm still being charged in a bit.

Yes that's it!
    Same!
    I have been informed that my phone is automatically changing to HS when I tether and thus being charged!
    Even though I don't want anything other than LIVE.
    I can't understand how that can be?
    It must be the VF network that's routing the tether automatically via HS?
    I don't even have HS setup in my apn!

Any network engineers care to chime in with their valued wisdom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭PAKNET

I've tethered on an Android handset previously on the vodafone network and the tethering data showed up as going through the Live APN. No additional charges.

If you check your handset access point names menu, do you have more than one APN configured? (Note: you might have a second APN for MMS, that's OK).
    If you do, delete it and try again.

There is also the possibility if you originally bought the phone off vodafone that it carries vodafone firmware and they may possibly have hard-coded the hotspot feature to use an APN other than live.vodafone.com within the vodafone firmware. If so you may be out of luck with that particular handset.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

PAKNET wrote: »

There is also the possibility if you originally bought the phone off vodafone that it carries vodafone firmware and they may possibly have hard-coded the hotspot feature to use an APN other than live.vodafone.com within the vodafone firmware. If so you may be out of luck with that particular handset.

On an ex 3 mobile Android phone and not being charged so sounds like a good explanation

PAKNET wrote: »
    I've tethered on an Android handset previously on the vodafone network and the tethering data showed up as going through the Live APN. No additional charges.

If you check your handset access point names menu, do you have more than one APN configured? (Note: you might have a second APN for MMS, that's OK).
    If you do, delete it and try again.

I'm using a SIM unlocked EU phone from Amazon.
    Apn is set for LIVE.
    No other name present in the apn.
    The only thing I can think of is that I downloaded the Vodafone app from Play Store to be able to check my balance etc. Doubt it's that though?

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭mikeoneilly

Can I switch to Vodafone when buying one of their prepay fones online and then sign up for this deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

Can I switch to Vodafone when buying one of their prepay fones online and then sign up for this deal?

Yes. Don't top up until after you've switched to Vodafone X.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Have a nokia windows phone any idea how to avoid the charges ? deal worked like a dream but i was able to use my phone as a hotspot with meteor for free

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I'm 38 but have a valid student card, can I go into the Vodafone shop and not have to mess around with Facebook and age stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Speckydodge

Senna wrote:
    I'm 38 but have a valid student card, can I go into the Vodafone shop and not have to mess around with Facebook and age stuff?

Yeah

Senna wrote: »

IMHO It's probably easier (read less stressful!) to mess with Facebook. Just a guess!

Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oakshade

Senna wrote:

Similar age to you. Went into the store, the guy just took a photocopy of my student card, ported my number and signed me up there and then. Very simple and all done in less than 10 minutes.

P.S. This is a great BA. If you download the My Vodafone app, you get a `fabulous Friday` gift. Last Friday it was 1GB of data! Looking forward to seeing what I get next week.

oakshade wrote: »
    Similar age to you. Went into the store, the guy just took a photocopy of my student card, ported my number and signed me up there and then. Very simple and all done in less than 10 minutes.

P.S. This is a great BA. If you download the My Vodafone app, you get a `fabulous Friday` gift. Last Friday it was 1GB of data! Looking forward to seeing what I get next week.

It's usually a competition of some sort so you don't get something every week but it's nice little bonus all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭noisenotmusic

Just signed up for the Sky Sports pack and have everything sorted except I can only seem to get Pack 1 (Sky Sports 1 & 2) and not Pack 2? The terms & conditions mention you get both.

"Vodafone X with Sky Sports Mobile, which includes 20GB Data, unlimited any network texts, 100 any network minutes plus Sky Sports Mobile TV packs 1 & 2, for 4 weeks."

I'm only actually after Pack 2 as that has the stuff I watch (NFL/WWE).

Advertisement