Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The vegged up 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Worztron wrote: »
    Hi auspicious. Is she taking Vitamin B12 supplements? Also, I'd recommend Vitamin D supplements. Eat plenty of fruit, legumes, nuts, seeds (also ground flax/chia for omega3 else take a dha+epa omega3 supplement), green leafy veg, calcium-fortified non-dairy milk e.g. soy, etc.

Thanks for reply Worztron.
    Yes she takes NaturePlus Source Life Women's Once Daily, Vitaplus, Opti3 and Engevtia.
    She doesn't eat a lot of fruit or nuts but wiil take seeds( I heard seed's phytic acid blocks mineral absorption....), lentils and beans and lots of plant milk.
    But with age the appetite diminishes. I don't think she gets enough in.
    Are there any experienced vegans reading this who are a similar age and can recommend a diet?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Regular checkups with the doctor and perhaps a nutritionist would prob help. Perhaps you could make something with nuts or whatever she needs in it to encourage her. Would just be wary at that age setbacks if not dealt with can lead to issues down the line or a lower ability to deal with anything else that may happen, illness, a fall or whatever. Ultimately the same as the rest of us finding something she would be on board will make it easier

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

If she's gone vegan for ethical reasons it's one thing, but if she said she couldn't face eating meat any more (especially if it's red meat), I would really recommend she get her stomach checked out sooner rather than later: "refusing" red meat and can* be a symptom of stomach cancer.

*It isn't always, and it's not the only symptom, nor is it the only reason to stop eating meat, but I'd take it as an alarm bell.

A health check up is never a bad idea anyway. :)

I don't think she'll visit a doctor; stays well away from them and hasn't needed one in thirty odd years as she's in great nick.
    Nutritionist maybe.
    Vegan for ethical reasons yes.
    Stomach cancer is a huge supposition.
    She hasn't had red meat in twenty years. Neither have I. There's no need for it.
    Thanks all. Now please resume posting the great meals.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Sorry, perhaps I haven't said that clearly enough. I definitely wasn't saying that eating meat was necessary, but it wasn't clear from your earlier post that she was a vegetarian prior to that. I'm a vegetarian too, on my way to being a vegan, BTW. I was merely suggesting that if she had gone from being a carnivore to being vegan in the space of six months and if it was because she couldn't face red meat, then it would have been an alarm bell, as that's one (and one only) of the symptoms of stomach cancer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭Worztron

auspicious wrote: »
    I don't think she'll visit a doctor; stays well away from them and hasn't needed one in thirty odd years as she's in great nick.
    Nutritionist maybe.
    Vegan for ethical reasons yes.
    Stomach cancer is a huge supposition.
    She hasn't had red meat in twenty years. Neither have I. There's no need for it.
    Thanks all. Now please resume posting the great meals.

I'd highly recommend a full blood test to be on the safe side.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Double Beyond Burger in London, unreal. A meaty vegan burger. Had vegan gouda, chipotle mayo, pickles etc. Served with rosemary chips.

QN8HI6hl.jpg

These have arrived in Ireland today! In Tesco:

ZA0sSrOl.jpg

I was prophetic at the price, €7.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Lentil stew with green beans.

There was supposed to be mashed turnip with this, but it didn't happen.

The lentils were really tasty and I might keep the leftovers for shepard's pie.

IMG-20181223-195120.jpg

Wholegrain rice, curried tomato lentils, coconut milk borlotti beans and sprouts.
    pic file too big...

Wholegrain rice, curried tomato lentils, coconut milk borlotti beans and sprouts.

pic

• Advertisement

pic

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

Last night I more-or-less followed the Happy Pear chick pea curry recipe except I added four lumps of frozen spinach at the chick pea stage (the CPs were frozen from the last batch I’d cooked).

I had no lime, unfortunately but otherwise it’s a cracking recipe, really filling and warming; served up with parathas. Savage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

469468.jpg

Braised red cabbage with fennel seed and diced pears that were soaked overnight in some port with clove, brown sugar and cinnamon. Also vegan "bacon bits" mixed in (sunflower seeds toasted with smoked paprika and a little oil, stored in a jar).

Mashed potato topped with steamed carrots that were finished in a hot pan with butter and thyme.

Leftover veg curry from yesterday - onion, carrot, chilli, mushroom, garlic, broccoli, ginger, tomato, coconut milk and spices.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

That looks amazing! Nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

469570.jpg

Braised red cabbage and pear, potato cakes, broccoli with spinach, garlic and pesto pasta.

Tasting menu for my veganniversary!

qVTaPTLl.jpg

Starting off strong, loved the pan rolls!

t4SCprOl.jpg

On to the first of the mains. Delicious, okra and pumpkin curry! This dish worked really well, a good bite to the pumpkin, a mild sauce with the tempura okra, really complementary.

f3zrcUtl.jpg

This was easily the best of the savoury food! Hot and sour "vish" and tofu curry, wambatu moju (what?), kale mallung (you're making things up by this point guys), sour lime pickle (really jarring at first, loved it by the end), tomato turmeric coconut dahl, raisin and cashew rice.

Damn it was so good. Get this! It may sound like the menu is having a stroke but it's the best!

KKZbWLV.gif

Look, how is this fair? How can I be expected to go back to normal desserts after having a massive TILE of amazing desserts? Still, we want plates! This was the highlight of the night. Everybody in the place was just staring at it when it came out.

The photo doesn't do it justice so here's a weird gif, massive, amazing, and got to be the best dessert I've ever had. I mean look at that thing.

Places so often fail at desserts for me, they make it too healthy or raw or some crap, make it decadent like this monster please. #saynotofruitsalad

Warm date bibbikan pudding with semolina and raisins, salted coconut caramel and ginger icecream.
    Wattalappan cashew palm sugar biscuits, Earl Grey ice cream.
    Sri Lankan love cake with pineapple and coconut salsa, rose water-pineapple sorbet. I loved that cake the most, so good. Also that mystery pudding thing in the corner with a biscuit in it.
    Pairing each bit with a different sorbet/icecream. There was some sugar sauce on one of those ice creams that was next level, I think it was coconut sugar.
    Cost €40 which was really decent I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

^^ what restaurant was that TA? Looks gorgeous!

Veginity on Dorset street in Dublin, they change menu every week. That was Sri Lankan week and this week coming will be Ethiopian week. They also do brunch and have a takeaway shop called vish shop close by.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

https://ministryofcurry.com/malai-kofta-instant-pot/ - swap the ghee for rapeseed oil to make it vegan. Still ends up tasting buttery/creamy despite having neither.

Ethiopian Week ^ should be good, Ethiopian food is incredibly good and many of the stews* are vegan anyway. There aren't very many Ethopians here to run restaurants full time unfortunately, although I believe there is an Eritrean restaurant in the Midlands - basically the same food.

*its usually multiple stews and bread, but the range and depth of flavour and spicing in the stews is incredible

We visited Bláth na Gréine on Inisheer 2/9/2018. I've done a post about our trip here and a specific review of the café here.

Please support these lovely people when you get chance.
    embraer170 wrote: »
    Thanks, will give the place a go next time I make it over to Inisheer.

The café has reopened. Tell them I sent you! Well, recommended at least.

• Advertisement

Adzuki beans with peas and broccoli and mashed spuds , all carefully seasoned.
    Simpl meal full of protein, nutrition and energy.
    No lips or hooves in it ;)

Adzuki beans with peas and broccoli and mashed spuds and gravy, all carefully seasoned.
    Simpl meal full of protein, nutrition and energy.

Adzuki beans with peas and broccoli and mashed spuds and gravy, all carefully seasoned.
    Simple meal full of protein, nutrition and energy.

I roasted things, simple, delicious, healthy. Over 70g protein.

3ib4sNgl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

I had some (half-price) Good Mood Chilli from Avoca with brown rice, and some hemp seeds sprinkled on top. Very delish, but not photogenic. Think brown and sludgy! :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Feeling too lazy to cook so went to Quay Co-op for nut roast.

IMG-20190408-192455.jpg

Greens, grains, veg. curry( apple, onions, carrots) and seitan ( mushrooms and kindney beans).

Looks brill.

Butter bean curry with red rice.

Fresh lime zest and a bunch of my own coriander leaf added just prior to serving gave it a wow factor.

• Advertisement

Butter bean curry with red rice.

Fresh lime zest and a bunch of my own coriander leaf added just prior to serving gave it a wow factor.

Those butter beans look really big and plump. Where did you get them/ what brand?

Everyone must try avantgardevegan chickpea curry. It's really easy but fantastic. Grounding the mustard seeds after toasting is the key plus the fenugreek spice which I adore.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.avantgardevegan.com/recipes/chickpea-curry/&ved=2ahUKEwiF0svRqcXhAhUdShUIHRf0CzQQFjAAegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw2xhpVGiE1NpqXyFVec_nc-&cshid=1554892690511

I made it without the coconut flour and still tasted great. This is a dish to impress.

Advertisement