Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Screws for joists and noggins.

Options
  • 20-09-2020 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭

Evening all, my floor upstairs squeak so bad, after investigation I found out it's not the 18mm wooden floorboards but the nails in the noggins that are squeaking like f.%$.
    My plan is to remove floorboards where its squeaking and put in screws to strengthen up the joists and maybe a section of new noggins depending on results.
    Is there special type screws for this, like stronger than normal and a certain length, also do I need to pre drill.
    Cheers.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Phil.x wrote: »
    Evening all, my floor upstairs squeak so bad, after investigation I found out it's not the 18mm wooden floorboards but the nails in the noggins that are squeaking like f.%$.
    My plan is to remove floorboards where its squeaking and put in screws to strengthen up the joists and maybe a section of new noggins depending on results.
    Is there special type screws for this, like stronger than normal and a certain length, also do I need to pre drill.
    Cheers.

floor boards

https://www.popularmechanics.com/home/interior-projects/how-to/g1546/7-ways-to-silence-your-squeaky-floor/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Most screws now are stronger than you need. Try cutting through a few with a hacksaw to see how hard modern steel screws really are.

You don't need to predrill but if you do you may increase the accuracy of placing the screws. What I normally do and have seen others do is drive 5x 120mm screws at an angle straight though the side of the noggin. If you have access to the far side of the noggin the same screws will do the job.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

predrilling will help

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

flooring screws, or deck screws or structural screws.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

With shrinkage, the noggins will have all be a tad shorter than needed to stop movement.

If you are screwing them tight to the joists, you will get away with a few, until the pull is too much, something will give...
    Best thing is maybe two together and add a shim or wedge on every third one..

Modern design screws are so much better. Before power tools arrived, (flathead) screws were designed to go in easily with a manual screwdriver, with the result that they come out easily too.

whizbang wrote: »
    With shrinkage, the noggins will have all be a tad shorter than needed to stop movement.

If you are screwing them tight to the joists, you will get away with a few, until the pull is too much, something will give...

Have you ever actually built anything or just making this up ?
    What would give ?

He's tightening noggins FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

If 10 noggins have shrunk by 1mm each, thats a pull of 10mm on the last joist.

Thats plenty enough to pull the nails out, and crack a plasterboard ceiling fixed underneath.
    Could easily be 3mm for each of 20 joists too. Thats in the ballpark of popping the ceiling down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 253 ✭✭Xtrail14

Ease back on patie

Advertisement