Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Drew Harris appointed Garda commissioner.

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭DONTMATTER

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    He was involved in tearing down the mess you spoke of and establishing the PSNI, which improved things vastly. Hopefully he can do the same with the Gardai, who are similarly in need of a demolish and refurb job.

The IRA, I might remind you, also murdered Irish citizens (including Gardai) on both sides of the border including his father and also engaged in torture, criminality and other human rights abuses. Any dislike he holds towards that organization is entirely warranted and shared by the vast majority of decent people on both sides of the border.

It has been fun to watch shinnerbot heads explode over this on twitter though.

So IRA murder = bad, ruc murder = ah shure they've changed now.

Sure all the files have been buried/destroyed and they would hardly give an auld republican joe soap access to them anyway :D

It's gas though, we shouldn't trust this man because he has in the past been associated with an organisation that did horrible things, nothing to say hedid them just that he was associated.

The same posters saying this would post here 24/7 if an election was called tell9ng us all why we should vote for ST. An organisation FULL of people who have associations to an organisation that murdered innocent people and who have members today in the public eye linked to said murders.

But we should trust them.because they are "good republicans "

Oh it's all hilarious to you isn't it? The Dublin and Monaghan's victims families have been fighting for justice for years, they've been abused and silenced, the files have disappeared, no investigation in to it but that's all ok, it gives you a good laugh.

archer22 wrote: »
    Having people trying to murder them and their families every time they stepped outside the door might have influenced their behaviour a bit.

The ruc and loyalists fought side by side, don't forget that loyalists were bombing Nationalist areas in 1966!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,402 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

DONTMATTER wrote: »
    If you're going to denyt the files went missing even then we're completely wasting our time.

Well all we have is your word for it because everytime you have been asked for evidence you have refused to provide it!

Also can you please post any evidence that the gent in question was involved in any of the nefarious activities you are alluding to or are you just tarring everyone with the same brush?

Well all we have is your word for it because everytime you have been asked for evidence you have refused to provide it!

Also can you please post any evidence that the gent in question was involved in any of the nefarious activities you are alluding to or are you just tarring everyone with the same brush?

Like I said, this is like denying Gerry Adams was in the IRA. Look it up if you want, I'm not going to spoonfeed you. Especially as you laugh at the victims families.

• Advertisement

Oh it's all hilarious to you isn't it? The Dublin and Monaghan's victims families have been fighting for justice for years, they've been abused and silenced, the files have disappeared, no investigation in to it but that's all ok, it gives you a good laugh.

Nothing funny about that at all old chap, the funny part (for me) is the way you keep basically tarring this man for crimes you have no proof he committed!

Should we all hate every SF member because they are associated with an organisation that killed innocents? Should no SF member ever get a job in the public service because of this?

For some reason it wont allow me to reply to thos post
    Like I said, this is like denying Gerry Adams was in the IRA. Look it up if you want, I'm not going to spoonfeed you. Especially as you laugh at the victims families.

No one is saying Adams wasn't in the IRA but I guarantee if you start a thread claiming that then you will be hounded for evidence.

I'm also not laughing at anyone but You, your constant refusal to back up any/all claims that you make is what's funny.

Nothing funny about that at all old chap, the funny part (for me) is the way you keep basically tarring this man for crimes you have no proof he committed!

Should we all hate every SF member because they are associated with an organisation that killed innocents? Should no SF member ever get a job in the public service because of this?

Look again:

"Sure all the files have been buried/destroyed and they would hardly give an auld republican joe soap access to them anyway :D"

You're making a laugh of them. They've been pushed around and silenced for years, still no investigation.

No one is saying Adams wasn't in the IRA but I guarantee if you start a thread claiming that then you will be hounded for evidence.

I'm also not laughing at anyone but You, your constant refusal to back up any/all claims that you make is what's funny.

Read what you posted again. It's ****ing disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

I hope someone from ROI will take his place as Deputy CC of PSNI.

I don't know how the small print is phrased, but in order to get the PSNICC job, applicants need to have served at ACC or above outside of NI. Obviously part of the reform process, to try to avoid the "Normal For Northern Ireland" institutional culture from getting too whiffy. Drew Harris, for example, isn't eligible for the Top Nordie Job, as while he's worked in other UK forces, it was at a (slightly!) more junior rank.

Whether or not it's possible under the current regs, it might in time become seen to be a good career move to go back and forth between the two services on this island, especially in the upper echelons.

• Advertisement

Look again:

"Sure all the files have been buried/destroyed and they would hardly give an auld republican joe soap access to them anyway :D"

You're making a laugh of them. They've been pushed around and silenced for years, still no investigation.

No

Im.laugjing at YOU not TJEM

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Any evidence that Gerry Adams was in the IRA?

I condemn all murders from anyone, the IRA, British army, SinnFéin whoever! I already said that I was against murderers pages ago!

We need justice for all the victims, appointing a former ruc man won't help open up the case for the families of the Dublin and Monaghan bombings for example.

Spook_ie wrote: »
    I have no doubt that if someone said Martin McGuiness and Gerry Adams were IRA leaders you'd be asking for proof.
    No because of course they were in the IRA, I don't have proof though. The denials of British security forces involvement in the Dublin and Monaghan bombings is on the same scale as I said.

reminds me of BucksFizz and Making Your Mind Up

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    He was involved in tearing down the mess you spoke of and establishing the PSNI, which improved things vastly. Hopefully he can do the same with the Gardai, who are similarly in need of a demolish and refurb job.

The IRA, I might remind you, also murdered Irish citizens (including Gardai) on both sides of the border including his father and also engaged in torture, criminality and other human rights abuses. Any dislike he holds towards that organization is entirely warranted and shared by the vast majority of decent people on both sides of the border.

It has been fun to watch shinnerbot heads explode over this on twitter though.

You have a point about the IRA etc but equally I never again want to hear anyone from Fine Gael moaning about the Provisional IRA again when they run off and appoint a man who's day to day business involved working in an organisation that was colluding in the murder of our citizens. It makes a mockery of all the jumping up and down Varadkar and his party colleagues tend to do about SF.

Likewise, people can fairly criticise Adams and co, but the difference is that Adams is an Irish citizen elected by other citizens, he wasn't some functionary appointed from on high.

The Gardai are in serious need of deep reform, I don't think drawing from another poisoned well is the route by which to achieve that.

No

Im.laugjing at YOU not TJEM

The files have gone missing preventing any justice being found, you were laughing about that, hence laughing at them.

Spook_ie wrote: »
    reminds me of BucksFizz and Making Your Mind Up

The point flew right over your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

FTA69 wrote: »
    The Gardai are in serious need of deep reform, I don't think drawing from another poisoned well is the route by which to achieve that.

This sums up my own feeling about it, in all honesty. I don't know much about this individual and I sincerely wish him well and hope that he manages to sort out the unimaginable clusterf*ck omnishambles which is our police service, but it feels like he's starting the job with a cloud already hanging over him due to his former membership of what was in essence a state-sponsored terrorist group. The thing is though, he could easily have been one of the good people who joined it in the hopes of trying to fix that clusterf*ck, and I don't know enough about him as an individual to say one way or another. So let's give him a chance and hope for the best.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

A certain poster on here, yes. Think we know who.

6541 wrote: »
    I also wonder is he a member of the Orange Order. If so he needs to declare this.

why?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

bubblypop wrote: »
    why?

So he can book some leave for the marching season ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Anyway just to say, we are talking about the South here. He will get the message I hope that cops are just not patrolling anymore at all, well at least in Dublin. Disgraceful in a capital city. But I blame the Supers, they are the managers, but the tail seems to wag the dog, or maybe it is just precedent. I dunno.

There does not have to be a blanket police presence, but SOME presence would be reassuring. It is so obvious by its absence and I don't know why that is.

There was a Garda Audit released last week which answers the question of why they are not a visible force on the streets - only 44% of Gardai are actually in roles where they face the public.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/only-44-gardai-direct-contact-12642952
    Fewer than half of gardai available for duty are engaged in visible policing, it has been revealed.

An audit discovered just 44% of fully-trained officers are involved in direct contact with the public.

The figure was uncovered by an RTE Freedom Of Information request and is understood to be in contravention of the force’s own policing plan.

It is also against recommendations by the Garda Inspectorate which said there should be the maximum number of officers dedicated to conducting high-visibility patrols.

The Garda Internal Audit Committee, which carried out the report, described the number as “low”.

On top of that the audit found that 6,000 odd juvenile offenders were never prosecuted by the Gardai, its pretty shocking stuff as it sends the message out that they can do anything and get away with it
    Meanwhile, preliminary findings of an audit found the Garda never pursued between 6,000 and 7,000 juvenile offenders who committed crimes from 2010 to the end of last year.

The children and teens were deemed unsuitable for admittance into the juvenile liaison system due to the seriousness of the offences involved.

Garda authorities are set to discipline the officers involved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I look forward to the high-vis sash making an appearance on the uniform.

The appointment reinforces the positive nature of the relationship & the level of meaningful cooperation that now goes on between AGS & PSNI. A Patten-style teardown & rebuild is what's needed in this jurisdiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,272 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I never thought I'd see the day an ex RUC guy would be top dog in the Guards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Some of the reactions to this appointment put me in mind of Blazing Saddles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

They should have appointed Padraig Nally as Garda Commissioner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Dr Brown wrote: »
    They should have appointed Padraig Nally as Garda Commissioner.
    And what's wrong with Conor McGregors credentials??

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

bubblypop wrote: »
    why?

because they represent views and cultural ideals that were (and in some cases still are) hostile toards all things irish.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Mikenesson

I'm optimistic about this

He seems to be a top man

Has to be a big improvement after Callaghan and Sullivan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Taytoland wrote: »
    For God and Ulster Drew!

Funny you say that.

Drew Harris is part of an agenda to integrate unionists into a United Ireland.

This follows a former unionist being appointed to the Seanad.

No doubt Varadkar can then use this as balance when he goes into coalition with Sinn Féin.
    Actually quite clever.

Times they are a changing.

Do Dhia Agus Éireann mo chara.

The fact is this man was part of the sectarian RUC, he colluded and effectively was part of a terrorist organisation.
    His father was killed because of that.

He most likely helped in the murder of innocent Irish people for the British state just like Fg and Labour and covered them up if even necessary.

People are very naive if they anything will happen to Gerry Adam's or from the Smith Wick tribunal just because he's the new commissioner.
    Nothing will.

However, he'll be branded a traitor by unionists.

If he is willing to swear an oath of allegiance to Ireland and shows up his predecessors then I'm happy.

Hope he does a good job.

• Advertisement

Aegir wrote: »
    wrong way dear chap.

Best dig out those union flags you've been keeping in store for all those years.

God save our gra.............

Sure Aegir,

Britain is breaking up. Becoming weaker and weaker.

Support for a united Ireland is growing everyday.

Unionists are taking positions in the Irish civil service and Oireachtas, swearing allegiance to Ireland and moving on from the past.

And you believe, an old lady in London with magical powers is going to conquer Ireland ....... with her sword.

Hard to believe there was a time when Irish unionists or the UK were actually respected in Dublin.

Advertisement