Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Blogging chat on Reddit

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Pseudorandom

Any reason for the strictness of access on the ibloggerchat? I've never posted in any of the threads but like reading them (pure nosiness). I didn't PM wendydoll for access because she was pretty clear that only people who normally post & chat will be allowed. Just wondering if since the big fuss has died down a bit there's probably less likely to be a bunch of trolls & could the subreddit be made open again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭ Alberto Purring Pasta

The public thread is still open and can be used for discussion. I think it's strict because the amount of trolls and threats people were getting and to be honest it's pretty unfair to expect to be given access to view a discussion you don't want to take part in

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Yeah, especially considering trolls have threatened to expose a good couple of members real identities and inform their employers, it just has to be this way.

The only way to get in is by making contributions on the public thread and I think that’s more than fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SpillingTheTea

I think it’s fair tbh. I mean I get that people lurk and that’s grand but the public one is grand for that. I think the fact that the trolls ruined it for everyone and it just a precaution and they every right to do that, especially for the regular posters on the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Pseudorandom

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    Yeah, especially considering trolls have threatened to expose a good couple of members real identities and inform their employers, it just has to be this way.

Wasn't aware of that - makes a lot more sense now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Lead

WhiteRoses wrote: »

The only way to get in is by making contributions on the public thread and I think that’s more than fair.
    That’s mental. Some people are just nasty ássholes :(

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Emmser

Deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Emmser wrote: »
    The private chat isn't possible to get into anymore unless you are very very well known to the moderators. I was in it and contributing daily, only to wake up one morning to find myself gone. It happened lots of others too. I'm definitely not a troll or argumentative. I tried contact the moderators to ask why but was blocked.

It's definitely a lively forum in comparison to boards or even the public one and everyone is pleasant there. It's a pity it had to go private in the first place.

But my point being, it's very hard to get into to, near impossible, and when in it, you can be removed without any explanation. You're far better trying to contribute here on boards. It's definitely less of 'a click'.

It's not a clique at all Emmser. I don't know why you were removed as I wasn't around at the time and the mods don't talk about their decisions to other people which I think is very fair but I wouldn't call 150+ people cliquey.

It's not a clique at all Emmser. I don't know why you were removed as I wasn't around at the time and the mods don't talk about their decisions to other people which I think is very fair but I wouldn't call 150+ people cliquey.

By 'clique' I meant a group of people with shared interests and people deciding who gets in, stays in or are let go. I meant no insult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭ Alberto Purring Pasta

People were randomly removed the night private posts were copied and pasted in the public thread threatening to doxx people. That meant the private group had a mole and the moderators are working through accounts to readd them when we could be sure the poster was genuine, but TBH bad mouthing the group is a sure fire way to stay excluded

• Advertisement

People were randomly removed the night private posts were copied and pasted in the public thread threatening to doxx people. That meant the private group had a mole and the moderators are working through accounts to readd them when we could be sure the poster was genuine, but TBH bad mouthing the group is a sure fire way to stay excluded

I didn't think I bad mouthed the group. I feel hurt by that comment. I won't comment any further and if I can delete, I will. I don't want back in the private group but I certainly don't need any hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,966 ✭✭✭wyrn

I know Emmser deleted her post but just on the post about being well known to mods - I don't have the same user name on Reddit as Boards. I'm only in the iBloggerChat because I commented on posts rather than lurk. I didn't even post all that much or make any stand out posts, but I was active.

wyrn wrote: »
    I know Emmser deleted her post but just on the post about being well known to mods - I don't have the same user name on Reddit as Boards. I'm only in the iBloggerChat because I commented on posts rather than lurk. I didn't even post all that much or make any stand out posts, but I was active.

I'm not really sure how it works so maybe I'm best sticking to boards. I've deleted my Reddit account and must catch up on all the housework, tv episodes etc. I've missed since getting sucked into the world of Reddit; it should come with a health warning! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭wendydoll

Don't think it's clique at all. It's not like I have a very long post history on blogging over here. Maybe 6-7 months. People don't want to be doxxed and their careers threatened.

To be honest with you Emmser, I wasn't the one that deleted you so I wasn't in the position to re add people that I didn't delete. There was over 50 people deleted over the last week or so, I received multiple messages from people asking to get back into the private chat, many from people that rarely commented, only there for a snoop and then I was still receiving requests to join from random people as well as regular users in the public thread wanting to get onto the private group.

The public thread is still available and the same things are being discussed on both the public and private thread. Its up to the users on the public thread to keep it active and up to date, the same way the users did before the private page was set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,966 ✭✭✭wyrn

Emmser wrote: »
    I'm not really sure how it works so maybe I'm best sticking to boards. I've deleted my Reddit account and must catch up on all the housework, tv episodes etc. I've missed since getting sucked into the world of Reddit; it should come with a health warning! :)
    Oh I know what you mean. I'm addicted to checking the Wedding subreddit and looking at all the dresses and reading the wedding dramas.

wyrn wrote: »
    Oh I know what you mean. I'm addicted to checking the Wedding subreddit and looking at all the dresses and reading the wedding dramas.

I only had weddingsonline when I was getting married but I was sucked into all the 'real weddings'! What's better is when you see someone you know: my friend worked for a wedding magazine and told me 9/10 people actually send in their wedding photos and info and ask to be published!

wendydoll wrote: »
    Don't think it's clique at all. It's not like I have a very long post history on blogging over here. Maybe 6-7 months. People don't want to be doxxed and their careers threatened.

To be honest with you Emmser, I wasn't the one that deleted you so I wasn't in the position to re add people that I didn't delete. There was over 50 people deleted over the last week or so, I received multiple messages from people asking to get back into the private chat, many from people that rarely commented, only there for a snoop and then I was still receiving requests to join from random people as well as regular users in the public thread wanting to get onto the private group.

The public thread is still available and the same things are being discussed on both the public and private thread. Its up to the users on the public thread to keep it active and up to date, the same way the users did before the private page was set up.

That's fair enough Wendy. Sure I can tag along in here and maybe ye'd visit from time to time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭sunbeam

That's awful about the doxxing wendydoll. I was also locked out of the private group but can understand why you did it. I'm happy enough to stick to here and the public thread anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭forumuser

wendydoll wrote: »

I was removed from the private group and asked to be added again, I'm guessing I was removed for being a lurker (not a snooper) rather than a contributor which is fair enough. I rarely post because I have nothing to add, usually because someone else has already said what I thought! And unfortunately that's not likely to change.
    But I don't think the public group & the private group are the same at all, there are some really knowledgeable contributors that no longer post on the public group and I think it suffers because of that. It's a pity that trolling ruined a really great forum.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I was added to group but completely lost in reddit! So no worries if I’m deleted, I’ll stick to here. What’s doxxing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭toodleytoo

pc7 wrote: »
    I was added to group but completely lost in reddit! So no worries if I’m deleted, I’ll stick to here. What’s doxxing?

If you need any tips feel free to PM!

Doxxing is when someone reveals a posters real identity online.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭danmanw8

anna080 wrote: »
    It'll take me 10 years to navigate that site so see ye there next year

Funny, I usually use that site and find boards confusing :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 21 CallmeKeano

fg1406 wrote: »
    I now ill probably get a slap on the wrist for this but since the other thread was closed down under threat of legal action, maybe we could take our discussion to another forum where we can discuss such issues freely. One beginning with R and ending with T where we could set up our own Irish Blogger sub? The Irish media might pick up on it more too since a main Irish paper nicks half their online content from that site anyway.

good call I rather that site myself moved across years ago and only check in here from time to time now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 IrishinOz

Has it been closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Cutie 3.14

IrishinOz wrote: »
    Has it been closed?

I was thinking the same, I loved reading that thread!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Cutie 3.14 wrote: »
    I was thinking the same, I loved reading that thread!!

Reddit archives threads after 6 months so I’m assuming that’s what happened there. No harm really, the place was populated by trolls. The closed group is still there though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭aoife1991

Reddit archives threads after 6 months so I’m assuming that’s what happened there. No harm really, the place was populated by trolls. The closed group is still there though :)

I was kicked out of the closed group the first time they closed it and haven't been left back in. I'm at a bit of a loss now cos I loved having someone to vent about bloggers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

aoife1991 wrote: »

I was kicked out of the closed group the first time they closed it and haven't been left back in. I'm at a bit of a loss now cos I loved having someone to vent about bloggers

Why did they kick you out?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

aoife1991 wrote: »

Ye can always set up another group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭aoife1991

GingerLily wrote: »
    Why did they kick you out?
    I don't post much on boards, I was reading the threads but wasn't an active participant so they wouldn't let me back in. I gave my boards username to the mods but *shrugs*

Advertisement