Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

F.E.A.R...you've got the fear

• 25-01-2020 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭

So I was sitting comfortably on the dry January wagon until yesterday after a particularly stressful day at work I thought **** this for a laugh and leapt head first off the wagon into drunkenville where I was warmly welcomed.
    Today however I remember why I decided to take a break from the booze. It's not even the physical aspect of a hangover that gets to me, that's the easy part, for me it's the fear. It seems no matter how many times I've been drunk and gotten through the fear unscathed, every time I experience it seems to be the worst time.
    I work with a girl who has only ever been drunk once. She told me she woke up the next day and felt awful so said to herself, well I'm never doing that to myself again and has literally not touched a drop since.
    Impressive.
    Why do mental hangovers get worse the more you have them, surely you should be used to it and able to dismiss it as a simple hangover.
    What's the worst hangover/fear/drunken debacle you've ever found yourself in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

For each a road
    For every-man a religion
    Find everybody and rule

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

You just forget. The cycle goes: work, gym, eat right, feel good. Get bored. Go on the gargle. Wake up, feel crap, eat crap, ask yourself what was all that about. Stay off it for another few weeks until you forget again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

You just forget. The cycle goes: work, gym, eat right, feel good. Get bored. Go on the gargle. Wake up, feel crap, eat crap, ask yourself what was all that about. Stay off it for another few weeks until you forget again.

Absolutely spot on. I was working out loads, sleeping great, making smoothies in my shiny new nutri-bullet, smiling at strangers and generally feeling good until boredom crept in and I told myself to kiss and make up with alcohol, he's not so bad, he's your buddy, he's your pal! Then the wiley **** sucker punched me right in the 'nads (I'm a woman so may not be anatomically correct);)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

I gave up drinking almost six years ago because I kept making bad decisions drunk and waking up with that fear.

For a long time I identified as an alcoholic, a label I don’t generally apply to myself these days. Today, I reframe then question from “Am I an alcoholic/ Do I have a drinking problem?” to “Does the impact of alcohol have more benefits or drawbacks to my life?”

It definitely had more negative effects than positive, so I stay away.

KiKi III wrote: »
    I gave up drinking almost six years ago because I kept making bad decisions drunk and waking up with that fear.

For a long time I identified as an alcoholic, a label I don’t generally apply to myself these days. Today, I reframe then question from “Am I an alcoholic/ Do I have a drinking problem?” to “Does the impact of alcohol have more benefits or drawbacks to my life?”

It definitely had more negative effects than positive, so I stay away.

Respect... really tip my hat to anyone who has enough tenacity and self awareness to recognise that and take action. Fair play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Porklife wrote: »
    I remember why I decided to take a break from the booze.

Fantastic expectations
    every time I experience it seems to be the worst time.

Amazing revelations

Bobblehats wrote: »
    Fantastic expectations

Amazing revelations

:) really made me smile

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

You’re right to be paranoid OP. I mean those photos. And also you shouldn’t have said those things

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MrAbyss

we have all been there to some degree. better to stay clean.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MrAbyss

Fantastic expectations

Amazing revelations

Finding Everybody and Realizing...*you got the FEAR...*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Madge2007

The writer Jack London called that feeling "the Noseless One" who walked hand in hand with John Barleycorn aka alcohol. He describes that feeling yur on about OP soooooo well. Pure undiluted FEAR! Been there. No likely :(

I work with a girl who has only ever been drunk once. She told me she woke up the next day and felt awful so said to herself

Final execution and, resurrection
    well I'm never doing that to myself again and has literally not touched a drop since.

Free expression as revolution.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,259 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Fear is not worrying about what you might or might not have done last night. No one cares.

Real fear is just a sense of pure and utter dread that you can't explain and has you lying on the floor thinking you are dying.

Finding everything and realising. It’s your round bud

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Fear is not worrying about what you might or might not have done last night. No one cares.

Real fear is just a sense of pure and utter dread that you can't explain and has you lying on the floor thinking you are dying.
    Yeah the word has been misappropriated in the last few years to just being afraid that you've made an arse of yourself. I prefer the Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas definition.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Fry up half a pig in a frying pan, have a shower, a good vigorous ****, then go back to sleep for a few hours. You’ll be flying it when you wake up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Got a bad belt of the fear a few years back. Drinking was never the same again unfortunately. Was like it was ingrained on my soul and the head never forgot. Now I'm classed as a light weight and go home early. Shame really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

I usually try to go back to the last pub i was in the night before early the following day and suss out is the fear im having deserved,9/10 its not. Few drinks really does tell the fear to **** off too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

MrAbyss wrote: »
    Finding Everybody and Realizing...*you got the FEAR...*

Fück Everything And Run

Or

Face Everything And Rise

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

F.E.A.R.?

340?cb=20081217175224

• Advertisement

Madge2007 wrote: »
    The writer Jack London called that feeling "the Noseless One" who walked hand in hand with John Barleycorn aka alcohol. He describes that feeling yur on about OP soooooo well. Pure undiluted FEAR! Been there. No likely :(

Well jeepers ****ing creepers..you dub something"the noseless one" no wonder you're scared ten ways to Sunday! Thanks alot "Jack" and **** you too Mr. "Barleycorn"

Got a bad belt of the fear a few years back. Drinking was never the same again unfortunately. Was like it was ingrained on my soul and the head never forgot. Now I'm classed as a light weight and go home early. Shame really

Go home lightweight!!

Fry up half a pig in a frying pan, have a shower, a good vigorous ****, then go back to sleep for a few hours. You’ll be flying it when you wake up.

Vigorous ****....man, sometimes I wish I had a dick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Madge2007

Well jeepers ****ing creepers..you dub something"the noseless one" no wonder you're scared ten ways to Sunday! Thanks alot "Jack" and **** you too Mr. "Barleycorn"

Love this 😂

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

Went drinking on a Friday and ended up back at a friends apartment with a girl. I was mouldy drunk and couldn't find my wallet and got verbally aggressive, accusing of her of taking it etc. She went home upset and my friend found it eventually, I left behind the curtain on the window sill in the room we were both in.

Woke up next day at 10 am and started drinking again immediately, was at it all day and ended up in friends apartment all night again. Went home next day and this time didn't have the crutch of alcohol to save me because I had to work on the Monday and commute there.

Never felt such awful guilt on the Sunday. Called in sick that Monday morning because I didn't get a wink of sleep, tossing and turning and generally just feeling like the world was ending, pure sweats and physiological warfare. It was the worst hangover I ever had in my life, the guilt was overwhelming and I felt like crying every time I thought about it. Didn't get back into work until the Thursday and even then I still felt terrible, it wasn't until the following week I started to feel normal.

When you're on a multiple day bender blacking out and start withdrawing even the slightest bit of bad behaviour will make you feel like you murdered someone and hid the body. I wouldn't say my behaviour was slight, I was a dick and the fear made me pay the price for it. Avoid multiple day benders, they will destroy your soul! Ain't worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Go home lightweight!!

I do at about 12 most drinking nights

peddlelies wrote: »
    Went drinking on a Friday and ended up back at a friends apartment with a girl. I was mouldy drunk and couldn't find my wallet and got verbally aggressive, accusing of her of taking it etc. She went home upset and my friend found it eventually, I left behind the curtain on the window sill in the room we were both in.

Woke up next day at 10 am and started drinking again immediately, was at it all day and ended up in friends apartment all night again. Went home next day and this time didn't have the crutch of alcohol to save me because I had to work on the Monday and commute there.

Never felt such awful guilt on the Sunday. Called in sick that Monday morning because I didn't get a wink of sleep, tossing and turning and generally just feeling like the world was ending, pure sweats and physiological warfare. It was the worst hangover I ever had in my life, the guilt was overwhelming and I felt like crying every time I thought about it. Didn't get back into work until the Thursday and even then I still felt terrible, it wasn't until the following week I started to feel normal.

When you're on a multiple day bender blacking out and start withdrawing even the slightest bit of bad behaviour will make you feel like you murdered someone and hid the body. I wouldn't say my behaviour was slight, I was a dick and the fear made me pay the price for it. Avoid multiple day benders, they will destroy your soul! Ain't worth it

Hi... you're me...glad you've met yourself:)

Vigorous ****....man, sometimes I wish I had a dick

Hence the cucumber in cling film?

Hence the cucumber in cling film?

You knowz it! Orgasmic..I mean organic cucumber...nom

• Advertisement

I don't want that anywhere near my sammich.

Advertisement