Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

never realised how self obsessed/consumed people are until now

• 17-08-2019 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭wally1990

I will open with I am an Irish male 28yo but its only hit me how self obsessed/consumed people have become . I had an idea but Christ im seeing it now

So im Sitting poolside in Malta on holiday.

The hotel has a roof top pool overlooking the beach front (beautiful and all that )

For the entire week, the amount of couples posing for photos is taking to another level (mainly French but English and amercian also)

Ages range 20 to 40.
    I know this is driven by social media buts its a worrying trend because its also showing the disregard for other people

For example , a girl and guy will come up and have their partner take about 10 photos of each other posing in all sorts of angles. Revewing reach photo, telling each other to lift this hand or pose in this/that position.

I heard an English girl next to me say to her partner during the photo , ''suck in and lift your glass up more '' wtf

These people are oblivious to everyone around them. Its like just trying to get the perfect photo.

I personally find it uncomfortable to watch but maybe i shouldn't

Ive even seen lads move other guest drinks without permission so they can take photos [how rude touching someones drink]

Yesterday a group of 6 French people turned up and just started pulling all the beds out into their own circle which isnt allowed and blocks the waiting staff from doing.their job. The staff made them move them back and they did a half arse job.

Just to give some context, i serched the hotel on instagram for people tagging it and its all like this.[attached]

Is it an Irish thing maybe ? Or a lad thing?
    The whole self obsession makes me uncomfortable

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭wally1990

Attached examples

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

wally1990 wrote: »

Just to give some context, i serched the hotel on instagram for people tagging it and its all like this.[attached]

Is it an Irish thing maybe ? Or a lad thing?
    The whole self obsession makes me uncomfortable

How did you get to “is this an Irish thing” from what you described?

How did you get to “is this an Irish thing” from what you described?

Might be narrow minded but there has been a few Irish couples and none were doing anything of the sort
    Photos yes but not to the same extent
    obviously it happens with Irish too [eg we see the rise of bloggers etc] but I was just thinking are some nationalities more comfortable with it.

The whole self obsession im seeing is crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 13,668 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

Attached examples

The Maltese Tourism Board couldn't have sold the place any better to me.

I'll have to dust off me passport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭ Mark Delightful Mace

I think most people are aware of this stuff.

Irish people aren't the worst for it. We even let fat people on the telly. I don't really think it's a laddish thing.

Anyway it's the trajectory society has taken since the 40s, accelerating rapidly in the late 60s. This PoV is from the Adam Curtis documentary 'The Century of the Self', which you might be interested in.

• Advertisement

Might be narrow minded but there has been a few Irish couples and none were doing anything of the sort
    obviously it happens with Irish too [eg we see the rise of bloggers etc] but I was just thinking are some nationalities more comfortable with it.

Oh I get ya - you mean maybe it's being an Iriah lad makes you unable to relate to it. Lots of Irish people like that tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

So the Irish thing is being uncomfortable with these photos?

The problem is the way you used “this” in the last sentence, it looks like “this” is referring to the Instagram photographers not your dislike of them, which you mentioned way back.

Is it nice to link to random people's pics just to say they're twats though? Dunno if the examples are necessary really.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,740 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Looks like you might have just got unlucky.

I am just back from Spain, a campsite and I was shocked at just how few people I seen taking photos during the week. Plenty of surfing on phones for sure, but very few people posing for photos. And this is a site with a lot of kids with their parents, and normally patents love to photograph their kids, but not from what I saw.

They simply let them play and enjoy themselves.

Is it nice to link to random people's pics just to say they're twats though? Dunno if the examples are necessary really.

You put it out there and it's in the public domain. I think they are necessary to support the OPs point.

People do seem self obsessed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I agree strongly with this post and i think some of the main reasons for all this is
    1 - Celebrity obsessed cutture that probably emanates out of US, E television station and Kardashian royal family of America. This has fueled the attraction of reality tv and entertainment shows.
    2 - Technology advances of past 15-20 years. Smart fones, social media, etc giving people the power in their hands to deliver themselves to the outside world.
    3 - Greed. Many people now see living their best lives and letting everyone else follow them means they will get paid large amounts of money for doing it.
    4 - Self love and mental health. Everyone now obsessed with themselves and all above points trying to justify it by preaching about their mental health and need to treat themselves well, but in reality they are nasty to others.

There are other reasons that I am not able to describe well enough, and all are inter related.
    I see many negatives in all this but at same time, if we had to live in a world of 1990s now we would all miss our Netflix, Instagram, Twitter, trashy reality shows, multiple foreign trips per year and all the rest.

People I grew up with are very bad for it, especially for it. Southside Dublin protestant private schools were ahead of the curve really. Still generally nice hardworking respectable liberal types as a whole, but definitely more into self image than typical. I myself am unusual in that group as I dislike having my photo taken, even though I'm like totally not kicked or timid or whatever.

You put it out there and it's in the public domain. I think they are necessary to support the OPs point.

People do seem self obsessed.
    No they're not in the public domain. They're publically viewable on Instagram, but that can be changed by the user.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

People are like sheep...just follow the latest trend given to them by "influencers" and advertising.

Nothing that hasn't been done since the invention of radio/TV commercials.

Have a look outside when Wimbledon is on ... Kids playing tennis, have a look outside when the world cup is on...kids playing football, we are influenced by what is thrown in our faces, OP you chose that hotel, based on ...

A) Images that you found online
    B) a recommendation from a friend or online website
    C) complete random selection

People are like sheep...just follow the latest trend given to them by "influencers" and advertising.

Nothing that hasn't been done since the invention of radio/TV commercials.

Have a look outside when Wimbledon is on ... Kids playing tennis, have a look outside when the world cup is on...kids playing football, we are influenced by what is thrown in our faces, OP you chose that hotel, based on ...

A) Images that you found online
    B) a recommendation from a friend or online website
    C) complete random selection

A fried who was recently here in Malta recommended it because it was central and the place was spotless with good staff
    So then I searched it online and it looked nice so I booked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭duffman13

Tbh it's not that bad in Europe compared to Asia, was mind boggling a few years ago when I was there, photoshoots lasting hours was the norm.

We were on a boat going to a different island and a couple from our hotel were sat in front. The girl in question spent over 2 hours on the boat editing a single photo, sucking in her waste and puffing out stuff. It's bizarre but unfortunately appears to be becoming more rampant if anything

• Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

On the money OP.

Young people have no sense of shame or self awareness. Get on a bus/luas/dart and you hear their entire phone conversation...And they don't speak quietly or hold back any information. You'll hear every detail.
    They can't have something to eat without climbing on to a chair to get the perfect angle to photograph their food. Just eat the fcuking thing.... Nobody cares that you are here.
    It's like they believe they are famous and their entire life has to be documented.
    Newsflash....Nobody cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

All those people will look back on their holiday photos saying, here I am at the Eiffel Tower, Colosseum, Big Ben......and will only have their backs to the camera. Either that or looking off into the distance. What is the point in that.

Imagine looking back at your parents holiday snaps when you were a child and seeing 40 different angles of their arse.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,149 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

mfceiling wrote: »
    On the money OP.

Young people have no sense of shame or self awareness. Get on a bus/luas/dart and you hear their entire phone conversation...And they don't speak quietly or hold back any information. You'll hear every detail.
    They can't have something to eat without climbing on to a chair to get the perfect angle to photograph their food. Just eat the fcuking thing.... Nobody cares that you are here.
    It's like they believe they are famous and their entire life has to be documented.
    Newsflash....Nobody cares.

Complely agree. People aren't shy either of pulling all manner of faces while taking selfies of themselves on planes (airports), trains and buses.

• And this kind of media makes up 80% content on facebook. The "creators" of this content pump out this sort of content without any deviation.
    Distinct from Retro Pages, Art & Craft fb Pages,

Now, facebook is ROOTING for more art & craft, retro content etc: I started a facebook page. And then the facebook bots start BOMBARDING me with "viewers of this blaba page haven't heard from you in a while!!!" / "You have'nt updated this page in a while"

FFS facebook... I'm a fooking one man band.

I deleted the facebook page.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Ironically it's the people who don't need to be taking selfies or are into this wave of ostentatious bllsh1t, are the people who stand out the most.

There's a sense of freedom of not being one of the goons addicted to the Zuckerberg cult.

I mean stand out the most as in outside that circle, and not standing out as in being admired.

I suppose there's also a bit of smugness involved in not being on those platforms...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Yes while on holiday in france recently noticed the same thing, the amount if time put into posturing , pouting, setting up photos, retaking photos, unbelievable......definitely not just an irish thing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭Homelander

It's incredibly annoying. Taking photos is fine, but this model-photoshoot crap for social media accounts really gets on my nerves. I was somewhere recently and a queue of people attempting to view something was held up for 5 minutes while this moron got her boyfriend to take I'd say 10 different photos, with different poses and from different angles, completely uncaring of the people waiting.

I was also somewhere recently and I saw a child of about 6 or 7 years old with her own phone snapping selfies with all sort of duck-lip poses and gestures from different angles. It was both hilarious and deeply disturbing.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,149 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Homelander wrote: »
    It's incredibly annoying. Taking photos is fine, but this model-photoshoot crap for social media accounts really gets on my nerves. I was somewhere recently and a queue of people attempting to view something was held up for 5 minutes while this moron got her boyfriend to take I'd say 10 different photos, with different poses and from different angles, completely uncaring of the people waiting.

I was also somewhere recently and I saw a child of about 6 or 7 years old with her own phone snapping selfies with all sort of duck-lip poses and gestures from different angles. It was both hilarious and deeply disturbing.

I saw something similar in Santorini. We were at a well known scenic viewpoint on the island and there was a girl in a white flowing dress and a fedora hogging the view entirely for herself and her photos. She was acting like she was on a professional shoot...it was just her and her fella. Many ridiculous poses were struck in full view of loads of people waiting to get in for their own photos. Zero self awareness in terms of how silly she looked or her selfishness of taking up the whole place for herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

What I saw last week in St Stephens green left me gobsmaked.
    The Falun Gong were sitting in the grass meditating in a circle of around 10. Male and female walked past on the path beside them. She walks into the middle of the circle, sits down, folds her legs and puts her arms out in a meditation pose. The male takes a few pics of her for her insta. Up she gets and off they saunter away.
    I so wanted to punch him in the back of the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭ksceniaonegina

Such a whiny post

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

Humans are creatures of ego whereas low tier men like have no problem admitting that they are losers of society, the good thing about being a loser is that you aren't worried about keeping up a reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Humans are creatures of ego whereas low tier men like have no problem admitting that they are losers of society, the good thing about being a loser is that you aren't worried about keeping up a reputation.

Is that some sort of lame incel post?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

Effects wrote: »
    Is that some sort of lame incel post?

What part of USA do you live in using words like lame?

• Advertisement
Advertisement