Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

De Den

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭dom40

I really enjoyed it,Darcy seemed comfortable in the den,Dustin still got it,loved it when he told Zig and Zag to tone down the english accents,great craic cant wait till next weeks episode,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

dom40 wrote: »
    I really enjoyed it,Darcy seemed comfortable in the den,Dustin still got it,loved it when he told Zig and Zag to tone down the english accents,great craic cant wait till next weeks episode,

Dustin was so funny. It was great to see him back.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,391 ✭✭✭✭kippy

owlbethere wrote: »
    Dustin was so funny. It was great to see him back.

As an aside, who is Dustin? (I should probably know this at this stage)
    What has he been doing for the past 15 years or so?
    One would think he would have a great career in comedy and/or some other format (not as Dustin)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,725 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

kippy wrote: »
    As an aside, who is Dustin? (I should probably know this at this stage)
    What has he been doing for the past 15 years or so?
    One would think he would have a great career in comedy and/or some other format (not as Dustin)

He runs RTE, ceo I believe. The Dustin gig is just a bit of fun for him

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Dutchy

Re Viewership -

The Den averaged a highly respectable share of over 25% of TV viewers across most main audiences.

289,000 adults tuned in and re-connected with their youth.

Interestingly, younger adults (15-34 year olds) were also drawn in, with an average of 69,000 viewers. This provided the DEN with a share of over 33% with an audience that would only have been born or in infancy when the original was in its prime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,790 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

No Ted

He had a wee cameo showing up in the background.

Just watched on catchup. Enjoyed it

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I thought this was great.

Like a reunion with people you went to school with decades ago but haven't seen since, It could have fallen flat but they captured a lot of what made The Den such a memorable show.

The hour flew by.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,529 ✭✭✭✭briany

It was about as good as one could realistically hope for. Well, OK, there are a few things they could throw in, but they may lean too far toward nostalgia if they did them.

I thought it was funny that Dustin went back and forth between his current voice and they one he used to use up til around 2000.

A Christmas special would be magical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Sparko

briany wrote: »

A Christmas special would be magical.

Maybe with Podge and Rodge kidnapping Santa again. Although they mightn't want to move P&R back to a more family friendly hour.

Due to travel restrictions they can't travel to the North Pole. Though I guess rescuing Santa is considered essential travel.

I think the worst part of it was the technical issues due to the video calls.
    Though they did get to use the most used question of the year "Are you on mute?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,529 ✭✭✭✭briany

Sparko wrote: »
    Maybe with Podge and Rodge kidnapping Santa again. Although they mightn't want to move P&R back to a more family friendly hour.

They could 'reboot' Podge back to the original with the wonky eye, slight English accent and creepy music.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Skid X wrote: »
    I thought this was great.

Like a reunion with people you went to school with decades ago but haven't seen since, It could have fallen flat but they captured a lot of what made The Den such a memorable show.

The hour flew by.
    I totally agree

Dustin had some brilliant lines as well, some totally off the cuff.
    Ray Darcy is such a great fit for it.
    Loved Dustin taking the hand about Ray Darcy's Saturday night show

Its really fun I will be watching til Christmas.

Finishes at Christmas and I'm 40 in January. Boo, won't get my name in the birthday roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,889 ✭✭✭thesandeman

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Finishes at Christmas and I'm 40 in January. Boo, won't get my name in the birthday roll.

Going by the response here from Boardsies (who are not known for giving favourable reviews for anything RTE do and I include myself in that) this could really take off and you might be featured.
    I think it's the perfect programme for the time slot. Much like The Late Late Breakfast Show etc back in the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

Anyone watch this today? What you think of it?..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

The comeback has been great. So much madness and fun with an abundance of wit and humour from the gang.

They could have really milked the nostalgia stuff but they aren’t for a second.

Pure “switch off” family fun. D’arcy back to his old self laid back enjoying the craic. The tongue firmly in cheek is hilarious to see from Dustin, Zig and Zig and even Ray.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,995 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

jk23 wrote: »
    Anyone watch this today? What you think of it?..

Thought it was excellent. Darcy is a natural at presenting children's programmes.

To thine own self be true

Thought it was excellent. Darcy is a natural at presenting children's programmes.

Woooooo Wtf? Did someone on Boards actually say a positive thing about Ray Darcy????

Yep. Brilliant. Didn't need Joanne? wandering around though. Probably doing her some favour.

This was great, I really enjoyed it.
    Thought Ray was great too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭AJB39

I enjoyed it even more this week then last week. It’s hilarious at times and it’s real escapism. I thought Stephen Fry was a great sport at the end and really embraced the madness. I haven’t seen Ray Darcy so relaxed presenting a programme in a long time. He’s in his element and is really good on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Really enjoyed it this week too. Dustin's Ed Sheeran impression :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

I didnt see last week, but I watched it this evening and I really enjoyed it.

Dustin is still funny
    "Man Doyle!!!!"
    "Sure you didnt know you were going to be on the Telly ??????, otherwise you'd have got the hair done!"

Its weird, my own kids have no interest in it. I look at them and think of older kids too, I don't think they have mental capacity for the level of madness. I'm not sure they can process so many characters going nuts and roaring and shouting at the one time. (I've probably explained that ar$e ways but it makes sense in my head - sorry)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,391 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I didnt see last week, but I watched it this evening and I really enjoyed it.

Dustin is still funny
    "Man Doyle!!!!"
    "Sure you didnt know you were going to be on the Telly ??????, otherwise you'd have got the hair done!"

Its weird, my own kids have no interest in it. I look at them and think of older kids too, I don't think they have mental capacity for the level of madness. I'm not sure they can process so many characters going nuts and roaring and shouting at the one time. (I've probably explained that ar$e ways but it makes sense in my head - sorry)

Yeah, you may be onto something there or maybe we, as kids, had a lot less options to occupy us and/or we were slowly brought into this type of entertainment over those years.
    My nine year old said of last week's episode, 'They are all talking at the same time, so loud and none are making any sense'

Jesus H Christ who named all those Grandkids. Ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,995 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Woooooo Wtf? Did someone on Boards actually say a positive thing about Ray Darcy????

Well the negative side of that is that I think he's rubbish at presenting TV for adults!

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Watched it today for first time. It was great craic. Just noisy and rambling banter. When the birthday shout-outs were rapped you could literally see the appeal to all ages.

Captain pillowcase, is he a Klan member?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,347 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

AJB39 wrote: »
    I haven’t seen Ray Darcy so relaxed presenting a programme in a long time. He’s in his element and is really good on it.

More than just relaxed, you can clearly see that he's actually enjoying it, having a ball himself - by total contrast to his chat show appearances.

• Advertisement

I'm surprised Dustin didn't pick up on Bláthnaid Ní Chofaigh from the birthday list. I presume it was the real B Ní C as her birthday is this week.

Advertisement