Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible to work part time as a community pharmacist?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Iodine1

I don't think you should do either as you are clearly not interested in the actual, you are just looking for a handy number. Do follow something that you are interested in, and it will be easier, and the hours won't matter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭bo0li5eumx12kp

karlitob wrote: »
    Stop taking about what you don’t know. Chartered physiotherapists do not have ‘extremely limited’ hands on skills. That’s a ridiculous and stupid statement all in one. We practice evidence-based treatment. Not like the quacks who do a weekend course and all of a sudden guess what every patient gets for treatment on Monday morning.

Look back on what you said - ‘I cant hold a candle to physios’ on anatomy etc. You’ve just said that you have limited knowledge of anatomy and physiology yet for some reason can apply treatments based on anatomy and physiology to patients.
    If you can’t diagnose a patient how can you treat them.
    If you aren’t a ‘uni-based physio’ (in fact you’re not a physio at all as you’re not Coru registered) how do you know what the course syllabus.

What muscle ‘shock’ component? Cupping?

So, I'm to assume you're a registered physio under Coru?

You qualified in what year?

Let's just skip over the cert vs degree physical therapist debate for a moment....

Your undergrad physio qualification, assuming it was completed in Ireland? (either TCD, RCSI, UL or UCD presumably).
    Work load/intensity, how would you have rated it?

Of course every student is different but, would you say much like the description of pharmacy undergrad, 9 to 5 was for lectures and tutorials, evenings and weekends was for study?

I mean naturally there's some study during that time period but, I'm mean is it all consuming as the pharmacy undergrad has been described as being?

I stress again, extra-curricular time is simply something that I can't afford to compromise hugely - thus getting insights into just how intense these programs are is of course important.

So, the fact I advertise and practice as an MSK therapist despite no iscp membership or coru registration, I mean, it is what is; but overlooking that for the moment to focus answers specifically on what constitutes a physiotherapy undergrad....?

Cause getting perspective here is basically the objective.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭karlitob

So, I'm to assume you're a registered physio under Coru?

You qualified in what year?

Let's just skip over the cert vs degree physical therapist debate for a moment....

Your undergrad physio qualification, assuming it was completed in Ireland? (either TCD, RCSI, UL or UCD presumably).
    Work load/intensity, how would you have rated it?

Of course every student is different but, would you say much like the description of pharmacy undergrad, 9 to 5 was for lectures and tutorials, evenings and weekends was for study?

I mean naturally there's some study during that time period but, I'm mean is it all consuming as the pharmacy undergrad has been described as being?

I stress again, extra-curricular time is simply something that I can't afford to compromise hugely - thus getting insights into just how intense these programs are is of course important.

So, the fact I advertise and practice as an MSK therapist despite no iscp membership or coru registration, I mean, it is what is; but overlooking that for the moment to focus answers specifically on what constitutes a physiotherapy undergrad....?

Cause getting perspective here is basically the objective.

There’s no ‘cert v degree’ debate. There’s only registration with Coru.

It’s not very clear on what you’re looking for.

If you’re a thicko you’re not getting far in either course. If you want to do well, work harder. Less well, work less hard. If ‘extra/curricular’ is important to you, then college isn’t for you, regardless of course. Of course you have to work evenings and weekends. What planet are you on. If you think you can earn a professional undergraduate degree by only working 9-5 you’ve a rude awakening in store. If you think asking a physio what pharmacy is like; or a pharmacist what physio is like, then you’re definitely on the wrong track.

The course syllabus for both courses is on each of the colleges website.

I reckon the best thing for you to do is to work as an over the counter assistant in a pharmacy and at the weekend you can do a massage course then you can advertise yourself as a quack - I mean MSK therapist (though I often wondered how you can leave the nervous system out and only focus on muscles and bones. It’s almost like the move themselves. Or that the muscle and the bone feel pain independent of the body).
    That way - you get the best of both worlds. And none of us need to count you as a peer.

Iodine1 wrote: »
    I don't think you should do either as you are clearly not interested in the actual, you are just looking for a handy number. Do follow something that you are interested in, and it will be easier, and the hours won't matter.

Well it's actually the opposite, I've an overwhelming interest in both, in particular cellular function as regard innervation and gene expression, which dictates MSK well being, long term neurological well being, is basically the entire focus of pharmacological drug therapeutics both historical and future based treatments - most specifically more contemporary intra-cellular effectors - and most importantly, I unquestionably believe that whilst medicinal chemistry and pharmaceutical based therapeutics provide untold relief, long term cellular optimization will be found in a modality thus far not even explored.

Sorry for that mouthful but, what I wish to convey is that, the actual concepts underwriting both the basis for MSK physiotherapeutics and pharmaco based drug therapies - they fascinate me;

What academia delivers in terms of tuition however, it's established information.

You could say for intents and purposes that, I can't allow myself to be constrained by a learning regiment which is challenging, beneficial - but alas, taught to 100's of students every year with little in the way of establishing innovation - certainly not facilitated at an undergrad level at least.

I outline this because, I'm asking time from both physios and pharmacists browsing this forum to contribute insight as to attaining those base qualifications, the intensity, workload etc - so as I can basically get a better day job.

But a day job relevant to my interests, whilst not limiting my pursuit of innovation relative to those interests.

And I guess if contributors are going to make time to provide this valuable insight, it's important they understand it's not just to some dude that's looking for a, "handy number", but rather get a relevant day job that pays the bills like we all must, whilst not interfering with additional pursuits, understandings and acquisition of novel information that pertain directly to that very area.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

None of the health sciences are easy degrees, all of them are intense. None of them lead to easy jobs.

All I can speak for is Pharmacy. For me it was 9-6 Monday-Friday and probably another 20 hours a week study time.

Is it possible to work 20 hours a week as a Pharmacist? Yes, you can get a contract for 20 hours somewhere, you can also locum and work when and where you want. The work is volatile, it's almost dead at the moment and hourly rates have crashed out. Working as a Pharmacist is not a handy life no matter how many hours you do weekly. It's extremely stressful, especially locum work & lunch breaks are non-existant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭karlitob

Well it's actually the opposite, I've an overwhelming interest in both, in particular cellular function as regard innervation and gene expression, which dictates MSK well being, long term neurological well being, is basically the entire focus of pharmacological drug therapeutics both historical and future based treatments - most specifically more contemporary intra-cellular effectors - and most importantly, I unquestionably believe that whilst medicinal chemistry and pharmaceutical based therapeutics provide untold relief, long term cellular optimization will be found in a modality thus far not even explored.

Sorry for that mouthful but, what I wish to convey is that, the actual concepts underwriting both the basis for MSK physiotherapeutics and pharmaco based drug therapies - they fascinate me;

What academia delivers in terms of tuition however, it's established information.

You could say for intents and purposes that, I can't allow myself to be constrained by a learning regiment which is challenging, beneficial - but alas, taught to 100's of students every year with little in the way of establishing innovation - certainly not facilitated at an undergrad level at least.

I outline this because, I'm asking time from both physios and pharmacists browsing this forum to contribute insight as to attaining those base qualifications, the intensity, workload etc - so as I can basically get a better day job.

But a day job relevant to my interests, whilst not limiting my pursuit of innovation relative to those interests.

And I guess if contributors are going to make time to provide this valuable insight, it's important they understand it's not just to some dude that's looking for a, "handy number", but rather get a relevant day job that pays the bills like we all must, whilst not interfering with additional pursuits, understandings and acquisition of novel information that pertain directly to that very area.

You’re a plank. I’d hate to work with you. And I’d never send a patient to you.

Not once in crappy posts (this thread or the other threads where you’re asking the same stupid questions) have you ever mentioned or asked about patients. Some people don’t really care, some people prefer the academia and put up with patients; but I’ll tell you this - underneath all of it (yes even underneath gene expression) it’s about helping people with the tools of your trade. All professions rely in some way on the other. You won’t make it very far - as you’re a plank.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Lads,

Stop engaging with this troll, who managed to completely piss off pharmacists in his last thread and looks like doing the same to physics here.

You’re a plank. I’d hate to plank work with you. And I’d never send a plank patient to you.

Not once in plank crappy posts (this plank thread or the other plank threads where you’re plank asking the same stupid plank questions) have you ever mentioned or asked about plank patients. Some plank people don’t really plank care, some plank people prefer the plank academia and put up with plank patients; but I’ll plank tell you this - underneath all of it (yes even underneath plank gene expression) it’s about helping plank people with the tools of your plank trade. All plank professions rely in some way on the plank other. You won’t make it very plank far - as you’re a plank.

A "plank", hmm?

Japnese-Man-Laughing-Funny-Gif-Picture.gif

This hilarious thing here is, I'm genuinely trying to acquire information to make an informed choice on the optimal career path.

Wouldn't get far?

I left a lucrative career in a respected profession (which I already have an honours university degree in, without every once staying longer than 6 pm in the evening on the way to acquiring), specifically to pursue these interests, as I feel in many respects, they're the future.

So I'm just trying to get a little feel for the pharmacists working life (including degree acquisition), and the coru registered physios working life (including same).

And thus far several responses have been great - but this is my last opportunity to revisit uni so, given the time and financial involvement in such a huge life decision, it's gotta be a one informed from every perspective.

None of the health sciences are easy degrees, all of them are intense. None of them lead to easy jobs.

All I can speak for is Pharmacy. For me it was 9-6 Monday-Friday and probably another 20 hours a week study time.

Is it possible to work 20 hours a week as a Pharmacist? Yes, you can get a contract for 20 hours somewhere, you can also locum and work when and where you want. The work is volatile, it's almost dead at the moment and hourly rates have crashed out. Working as a Pharmacist is not a handy life no matter how many hours you do weekly. It's extremely stressful, especially locum work & lunch breaks are non-existant.

Hey that's cool. Thank you, I appreciate the perspective.

In contrast, granted I'm a "quack" MSK therapist but, this current line of work isn't remotely stressful.
    So I know you're not commenting on the physio working life but, from your post I'm strongly inferring that - "pharmacy, long or short hours - intense, stress etc".

Thus it would appear that perhaps physio will ultimately be a better fit for me....

At least that's what I'm inferring from your feedback.

I'm not gonna base my entire decision on it of course but, it's another viewpoint and that's what this thread is all about so thank you.

You’re a plank. I’d hate to work with you. And I’d never send a patient to you.

Not once in crappy posts (this thread or the other threads where you’re asking the same stupid questions) have you ever mentioned or asked about patients. Some people don’t really care, some people prefer the academia and put up with patients; but I’ll tell you this - underneath all of it (yes even underneath gene expression) it’s about helping people with the tools of your trade. All professions rely in some way on the other. You won’t make it very far - as you’re a plank.

PS - what is this about "asking about patients"?

What exactly does that have to do with the price of cabbage?

I said in the other thread I acknowledge some may find it difficult.
    I'm not among them.
    For me it's easy.

What else is there to know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Where are you looking at doing physio? For the 4 yr course it’s fairly full time for the first two years. Third and fourth year would have a bit more self directed time and research project etc, so still a lot of hours, just not necessarily in college.
    Clinical placement is 30 ish weeks, full time work, no pay, and lots of study at weekends and evening times.

Physio degree courses are based almost entirely on evidence based practice. A lot of what you’ve said you do at the moment Is out of date and not evidence based, so it might be worth reading up a bit to update your knowledge of what’s involved.

jlm29 wrote: »
    Where are you looking at doing physio? For the 4 yr course it’s fairly full time for the first two years. Third and fourth year would have a bit more self directed time and research project etc, so still a lot of hours, just not necessarily in college.
    Clinical placement is 30 ish weeks, full time work, no pay, and lots of study at weekends and evening times.

Physio degree courses are based almost entirely on evidence based practice. A lot of what you’ve said you do at the moment Is out of date and not evidence based, so it might be worth reading up a bit to update your knowledge of what’s involved.

RCSI or Trinity.

It's been outlined I'd be entering in 2nd year as a graduate applicant.

https://www.physio-pedia.com/Evidence_Based_Practice(EBP)_in_Physiotherapy

"The most common management of back pain and sciatica is to prescribe analgesics and advise rest and to treat acute attacks with bed rest"

Yeah I guess, I do march to the beat of my own drum in many respects, cause so much about contemporary treatment to me is questionable - but that's a conversation for another day.

I did try and download the physio timetable from the UCD website,

https://www.ucd.ie/students/generalreferencetimetable.html

djjdt3x.png

That's all the modules

lpCChbS.png

I think this is, 3rd year?
    4th year?

It's hard to tell or gauge intensity - seems chill enough I guess?

Versus pharmacy 3rd year RCSI,

gYT4vND.png?1

https://www.rcsi.com/dublin/undergraduate/pharmacy/course-details

Is it just me or does that seem a little more full on?

Looks like a first year timetable to me, from what i can make out.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

Do none of the college offer a talk to current students day?
    We have that I love my course but I wouldn't be long to tell people if they want a doss don't bother.
    Timetables are deceiving in some lecturers don't keep you the full hour.
    But over all if you're travelling any kind of distance it'll be more full on hours wise. Either way expect your week to be full on especially if working.
    I'm sitting as a 1.1 student at the min, honestly without much effort about a week of study before my exams, but I genuinely love it and find it fascinating. If you're like that you'll be grand if not you'll need to put in more work.

Try find the courses on insta and ask the account mod some questions I'm sure they'd oblige.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Iodine1

Well

You could say for intents and purposes that, I can't allow myself to be constrained by a learning regiment which is challenging, beneficial - but alas, taught to 100's of students every year with little in the way of establishing innovation - certainly not facilitated at an undergrad level at least..

So what you are really saying is you have no interest in the course, just getting a qualification to get a handy but well paid job and that you can work part time in. Yes I understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

So what you are really saying is you have no interest in the course, just getting a qualification to get a handy but well paid job and that you can work part time in. Yes I understand.

Isn't that most students now though. So many people in my year want to get out and do the aul 9-5, think there's one or two other than myself want to go full corporate 70+ hour week kind of deal.

If nothing else this has been entertaining

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

It is possible... I currently work 49 hours a month as a community pharmacist - one day a week 9am-7pm and one weekend day of 9am-6pm per month.

In a case of never being happy it kind of limits me as I don’t particularly enjoy working as a pharmacist but if I was to go back and retrain I wouldn’t be able to work such limited hours and earn enough to make it worth my while. First world problems

If by "no interest" you mean, heavily involved in cellular mechanics, neuroscience, keeping up to date with latest cellular interventions on an industrial level and latest MSK/neurological modalities, applications and treatments for high time/effort expenditure with zero remuneration - whilst additionally performing a 20 to 25 hour work week, limited hours, specifically to facilitate advancement in those interests....

Then yes I suppose I have "no interest".

PS - you are an egg.

Mjolnir wrote: »
    Do none of the college offer a talk to current students day?
    We have that I love my course but I wouldn't be long to tell people if they want a doss don't bother.
    Timetables are deceiving in some lecturers don't keep you the full hour.
    But over all if you're travelling any kind of distance it'll be more full on hours wise. Either way expect your week to be full on especially if working.
    I'm sitting as a 1.1 student at the min, honestly without much effort about a week of study before my exams, but I genuinely love it and find it fascinating. If you're like that you'll be grand if not you'll need to put in more work.

Try find the courses on insta and ask the account mod some questions I'm sure they'd oblige.

What course exactly are you doing/have you done?

Did you mention it was law or something?

You do realize I'm referring specifically to the health sciences of either pharmacy or physiotherapy?

• Advertisement

It is possible... I currently work 49 hours a month as a community pharmacist - one day a week 9am-7pm and one weekend day of 9am-6pm per month.

In a case of never being happy it kind of limits me as I don’t particularly enjoy working as a pharmacist but if I was to go back and retrain I wouldn’t be able to work such limited hours and earn enough to make it worth my while. First world problems

Again, this sound tailor made for me, and exactly the insight I'm looking for.

And you can pay the bills okay with income proportional to this roster?

Did you find it difficult to establish such a part time position?
    Or just offer your services in that capacity and it came along easy enough etc?

What do you not enjoy about being a pharmacist?
    You get to keep up with latest drug developments, got full background training in everything pertaining to pharmacy/pharmacology/drug therapeutics obviously ("the scientists of the high street, as one website quotes"), and work in a pleasant environment dispensing invaluable information to the public;

So I'm to take it that perhaps even with a limited 2 day schedule, perhaps you still find it an overly intense job role perhaps? Too much responsibility/stress?
    Working day is too long?
    Or as others say, no lunch/bathroom-breaks, just sucks?

In contrast to the working life, how did you find completing the pharmacy undergrad itself?
    Really full on/intense course and requires utmost dedication?

For all intents and purposes, just let's say I have an evening job that I have to work 6 to 10 pm every evening in, and 3 hour per day weekends also - as that's the typical additional time commitment I require.

Would you say doing that in addition to a pharmacy university program may be.... just too much work, potentially compromise exam outcome etc - as pharmacy simply requires that level of time dedication?

I suppose just to clarify exactly what I'm trying to determine here from this thread, the bolded text above sums it up pretty well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

“A pleasant environment”
    This is where you are wrong. Standing all day, no breaks, constant queues of people with no appointment needing your attention while the phone is ringing and a barely trained counter assistant needs your supervision. Mending tills, trying increase sales revenue, speakng with a GP about a dose of a drug, trying to placate an angry customer who needs a refund on perfume. Oh and the one staff toilet needs mending and you are “in charge” so need to get that fixed ASAP. And hurry up with that Methadone as the addicts are due in the next 5 minutes.
    There are some lovely small village pharmacies which are nicer to work in but they are generally owner-occupied and don’t need a second pharmacist.
    Spend a day work-shadowing a pharmacist and then come back to me with your pleasant environment.
    I worked in community pharmacy when i was first qualified and would not go back to it now for double the salary.

“A pleasant environment”
    This is where you are wrong. Standing all day, no breaks, constant queues of people with no appointment needing your attention while the phone is ringing and a barely trained counter assistant needs your supervision. Mending tills, trying increase sales revenue, speakng with a GP about a dose of a drug, trying to placate an angry customer who needs a refund on perfume. Oh and the one staff toilet needs mending and you are “in charge” so need to get that fixed ASAP. And hurry up with that Methadone as the addicts are due in the next 5 minutes.
    There are some lovely small village pharmacies which are nicer to work in but they are generally owner-occupied and don’t need a second pharmacist.
    Spend a day work-shadowing a pharmacist and then come back to me with your pleasant environment.
    I worked in community pharmacy when i was first qualified and would not go back to it now for double the salary.

Interdasting.

Honestly I've always got a real upbeat, busy, energetic feel from community/shop pharmacists when I show my face in the place.

I say that as I'm serious trying to question whether this is a case of "one mans poison is another mans pleasure".

But for the chill-life, naturally there's been several accounts that, community pharmacy isn't really it.

In terms of setting up that "shadow" situation, to really get emphatic answers to at least the working life question, I think that's what needs to be done.

Probably have to wait a month or so until corona restrictions ease but, I mean what - I assume I call ahead, outline I'm a graduate considering returning to study pharmacy etc....... or that gets setup, how exactly would you recommend?

Cause of course I can't imagine any pharmacist is about to let some random dude from the street in back amongst all their controlled drugs.

I don't attend any specific pharmacy either so don't have a rapport such that someone I know would/could really help me out there either.

So - call ahead, explain, ask - to set that up?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Again, this sound tailor made for me, and exactly the insight I'm looking for.

And you can pay the bills okay with income proportional to this roster?

It works for us - my husband works full time and we have young children so it’s a good balance for us at the moment
    Did you find it difficult to establish such a part time position?
    Or just offer your services in that capacity and it came along easy enough etc?

I worked as a locum/part-time pharmacist for years and basically picked and chose when I wanted to work. It wouldn’t be for everyone but worked out well for me
    What do you not enjoy about being a pharmacist?
    You get to keep up with latest drug developments, got full background training in everything pertaining to pharmacy/pharmacology/drug therapeutics obviously ("the scientists of the high street, as one website quotes"), and work in a pleasant environment dispensing invaluable information to the public;

The job is pretty tedious day to day. While there will be a handful of new drugs which come along each year the vast majority of the time you’re dispensing the exact same small cohort of drugs to people who have had them for years already... there’s not much sense of making a difference on a daily basis. The general public can be draining to work with also! There is so much bureaucracy and paperwork with the HSE too which takes up a huge portion of time
    So I'm to take it that perhaps even with a limited 2 day schedule, perhaps you still find it an overly intense job role perhaps? Too much responsibility/stress?
    Working day is too long?
    Or as others say, no lunch/bathroom-breaks, just sucks?

I don’t think it’s too intense at all to be honest - I work somewhere which is adequately staffed, nice boss, grand clientele... it’s just not very satisfying. No lunch and bathroom breaks does suck but I’m used to it, and again because I work part-time it’s not too taxing.
    In contrast to the working life, how did you find completing the pharmacy undergrad itself?
    Really full on/intense course and requires utmost dedication?

The course is very interesting and engaging. I really enjoyed it and the breadth of knowledge gained. I’ve lost a lot of it now as it’s just not needed for the day to day role of community pharmacist as it exists in Ireland currently. It’s definitely intense... the course structure has changed since I qualified but we would have had 35 hours or so contact hours a week and then all the actual work to do outside of that
    For all intents and purposes, just let's say I have an evening job that I have to work 6 to 10 pm every evening in, and 3 hour per day weekends also - as that's the typical additional time commitment I require.

Would you say doing that in addition to a pharmacy university program may be.... just too much work, potentially compromise exam outcome etc - as pharmacy simply requires that level of time dedication?

That seems like a lot to fit in around the course. I would not have fancied having to work those hours alongside it

I just read about your issues with time commitments. I don’t think you could do very well in a physio course while working those hours. I don’t doubt that you could scrape by. I also think you couldn’t work those hours while on placement

It works for us - my husband works full time and we have young children so it’s a good balance for us at the moment

I worked as a locum/part-time pharmacist for years and basically picked and chose when I wanted to work. It wouldn’t be for everyone but worked out well for me

The job is pretty tedious day to day. While there will be a handful of new drugs which come along each year the vast majority of the time you’re dispensing the exact same small cohort of drugs to people who have had them for years already... there’s not much sense of making a difference on a daily basis. The general public can be draining to work with also! There is so much bureaucracy and paperwork with the HSE too which takes up a huge portion of time

I don’t think it’s too intense at all to be honest - I work somewhere which is adequately staffed, nice boss, grand clientele... it’s just not very satisfying. No lunch and bathroom breaks does suck but I’m used to it, and again because I work part-time it’s not too taxing.

The course is very interesting and engaging. I really enjoyed it and the breadth of knowledge gained. I’ve lost a lot of it now as it’s just not needed for the day to day role of community pharmacist as it exists in Ireland currently. It’s definitely intense... the course structure has changed since I qualified but we would have had 35 hours or so contact hours a week and then all the actual work to do outside of that

That seems like a lot to fit in around the course. I would not have fancied having to work those hours alongside it

Great reply - best one so far to be fair.

It reflects much more how I kind of perceived a pharmacists work to go to be honest.

Yeah coursework, 35 contact hours plus study on top of that - that's intense, no question - I mean I guess pharmacy is a prep for both dispensary and industry so you'd expect going the dispensary route there's gonna be a lot of information that, like you said, just doesn't get applied on a day to day basis.

I suppose the other side to it is, as seems to be the case with the majority of uni courses, the aim is to teach "critical thinking" by putting students through their paces in a variety of modules and disciplines, despite the potential lack of relevance to the practical day to day job role.

I'm sure there's something to be said for that on some level.

Around my area, like everyone else I drop in and out to different pharmacies for various items but, one pharmacist in particular clearly enjoys keeping up with the particulars of industry progression, drug mechanics and effects and seems to basically flow through the work cause, despite being basically ran off his feet in the busiest pharmacy in town, seems to make it look effortless.

But again I'm sure that varies from one personality to the next;
    One persons "ran off your feet" is another persons "water off a ducks back".

35 contact hours plus study time (actual work, as you say).... 5 years.... plus additional commitments..... yeah, that's gonna be rough.
    And again, that resonates with me as simply the reality I'll be facing with a pharmacy undergrad.

Way I'm thinking now is, physio.... hell I know dudes did that course and worked PT or coaching almost every evening of the week (i.e. heavy commitments in addition to hours + course work), partied, and still came out with a 2:1, 1:1

f12Dtum.gif

I just read about your issues with time commitments. I don’t think you could do very well in a physio course while working those hours. I don’t doubt that you could scrape by. I also think you couldn’t work those hours while on placement

It's the travel associated with 6x 5 week terms of placement that concerns me.

If I was station in St James's for each placement, hey that'd be aces. It's basically a stones throw from where I plan on living if based in RCSI or Trinity.

But from what I understand, hell they can even send you overseas for placement, or anywhere in Co Dublin or around the country.

Again, I know dudes who have done that and still kept up with additional commitments dudes that do physio via being sports heavy, tend to do.

They manage.

Pffff - hard to tell.
    I'm not gonna spend the rest of muh life working off a witchdoctor weekend cert so at some point I'm gonna have to anti up and simply commit to either pharmacy or physio.

To physios reading, would it be out of the question you could comment on the contact hour vs course work vs placement time commitments you experienced/remember whilst doing your course?

Bear in mind, much of the "extra-curricular" investigation pertains directly to cellular function, nervous system so, it's not like it's entirely unrelated to health science based physio.
    In fact the fact that physio has a large neurological component in addition to MSK is one of main attractions about that undergrad.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,064 ✭✭✭✭Water John

“A pleasant environment”

In fairness, any retail job has most of these responsibilites and functions. The major diff would be, you're dealing with peoples health issues.

It's the travel associated with 6x 5 week terms of placement that concerns me.

If I was station in St James's for each placement, hey that'd be aces. It's basically a stones throw from where I plan on living if based in RCSI or Trinity.

But from what I understand, hell they can even send you overseas for placement, or anywhere in Co Dublin or around the country.

Again, I know dudes who have done that and still kept up with additional commitments dudes that do physio via being sports heavy, tend to do.

They manage.

Pffff - hard to tell.
    I'm not gonna spend the rest of muh life working off a witchdoctor weekend cert so at some point I'm gonna have to anti up and simply commit to either pharmacy or physio.

To physios reading, would it be out of the question you could comment on the contact hour vs course work vs placement time commitments you experienced/remember whilst doing your course?

Bear in mind, much of the "extra-curricular" investigation pertains directly to cellular function, nervous system so, it's not like it's entirely unrelated to health science based physio.
    In fact the fact that physio has a large neurological component in addition to MSK is one of main attractions about that undergrad.

Both of those colleges are associated with hospitals in different parts of the country, so I’d say you’d be likely to get at least one, And possibly several placements outside of Dublin. Placements usually allocated based on clinical need first, geographical preference second.

It doesn’t matter what work you do in your spare time really, or what it relates to, you’ll still need to put in a lot of hours study in evenings and at weekends. I have had recent contact with physio students. The ones who do well on placement go home after a seven hour day on site and out in a few hours of study. The ones who do badly do not. In general.

• Advertisement

Both of those colleges are associated with hospitals in different parts of the country, so I’d say you’d be likely to get at least one, And possibly several placements outside of Dublin. Placements usually allocated based on clinical need first, geographical preference second.

It doesn’t matter what work you do in your spare time really, or what it relates to, you’ll still need to put in a lot of hours study in evenings and at weekends. I have had recent contact with physio students. The ones who do well on placement go home after a seven hour day on site and out in a few hours of study. The ones who do badly do not. In general.

When I studied physio, I worked every weekend, Saturday and Sunday, full days. I often had to cut this back while on placement. I couldn’t have worked evenings as well and got a decent degree. An awful lot of my class mates worked summers only.

What college did you complete your degree at?

The timetables seem to vary pretty dramatically tbh, this is one I need clarified cause, way I worked it during my own undergrad was, got the majority of my work done during free hours.
    Like I said, I don't ever recall staying later than 6 pm unless thesis completion or the week or two before exams.

Looking at the modules from UCD at least, stength and condition, MSK, neurology - these are gonna come easy to me.

Medicinal chem via pharmacy however - that's something I'd have to sit down and work as have limited exposure to actual molecular structuring etc.

As the other poster commented on pharmacy, can you comment on your number of contact hours including tutorials, labs etc? All in?
    Not including "the actual work", i.e. study time.

Advertisement