Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Galway Bay Marathon 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭jnk883

rizzee wrote: »
    There seems to be two Run Galway Bay pages on FB, I just read one of the comments there on the link above, saying the page that confirmed it is fake?

''. This is a fake page. Keep an eye on Run Galway Bay for real updates in the next day or so.''

Here's the one I was looking at (no updates yet) : https://www.facebook.com/rungalwaybay/ (RunGalwayBay)

The one above is: https://www.facebook.com/GalwayBayRunMarathon/ (@GalwayBayRunMarathon)

My head hurts!

:confused::confused:

We might find out on the day. Lets turn up and see :D I think after tomorrow we should have a very clear idea. I'd say Wednesday at the latest. I see it as - Government make announcement, Athletics Ireland sync clarification, Galway make their move

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

jnk883 wrote: »
    :confused::confused:

We might find out on the day. Lets turn up and see :D I think after tomorrow we should have a very clear idea. I'd say Wednesday at the latest. I see it as - Government make announcement, Athletics Ireland sync clarification, Galway make their move

In a bit of a pickle myself - have my accommodation to pay for today - great timing!! :o:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

In a bit of a pickle myself - have my accommodation to pay for today - great timing!! :o:D

I paid the extra couple of bob for a 3 day cancellation job. I still may not know 72 hours out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

I paid the extra couple of bob for a 3 day cancellation job. I still may not know 72 hours out :)

Watching RTE at the min, sounds like ill be cancelling that accom now:(

When they talk sport they only ever focus on team sport. We get to wait then

• Advertisement

Just got the email.

Postponed to May 8th 2021 :(:(

Safety first! I'll do a TT on the Friday and head on the session for the weekend :D

And there it goes. Offically cancelled now

With huge regret and following the latest government announcement Run Galway Bay has now been postponed until Saturday May 8th 2021.

Your entry has automatically been deferred to the new date.

If you wish to defer instead to October 2nd 2021 please click below.

As the event was almost sold out please take this as assurance that your deferred entry to May is totally secure.

The safety of our participants and supporters is always our number one priority so we had previously stated that we would follow the latest government guidelines in order to suppress Covid-19. We were hoping that the 2nd wave wouldn’t be as severe as it has turned out to be and now with the government guidelines stating that outdoor gatherings must not be greater than 200 people the event is not viable this October.

We had worked closely with Galway City Council in the hope that a socially-distant compliant event would be possible in October and as such we have ordered everything including t-shirts and medals in anticipation that we could proceed. Instead we are giving those who want to, the opportunity to participate in our VIRTUAL EVENT - details of which will be released shortly.

We know there will be huge disappointment following this announcement and we hope that you will join us on May 8th 2021 or October 2nd 2021 and/or take part in our virtual event.

Thank you for your understanding in these trying times and we hope you and your loved

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭freddie_

It’s strange that they are going to run the event twice next year with dates in May and Oct.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭echancrure

Just got the email.

Postponed to May 8th 2021 :(:(

Safety first! I'll do a TT on the Friday and head on the session for the weekend :D

Same day as postponed Dingle... I rebooked Galway for October; 3 weeks before DCM2021

May doesn't work for me. October will be a push. I have Cork Ironman in August, Berlin in September and Dublin in October. I will be lucky to complete even one of those in one piece haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭ChampionChip

If you done the miles and want a marathon or a half marathon we have one about to launch in Co Antrim at the Down Royal Race course on Oct 24th. 4 laps of a 10k route on roads, well marshalled, safe, flat and easy to get to in Lisburn 30 mins from the border.

Getting it officially measured tomorrow and signed off by the authorities on Friday for the traffic management.

Its the latest in a series of races we have held with govt approval and insured by Athletics NI since July 18th.

Its not affected by the latest govt guidance which relates to social gatherings but not competitive sport.

Opens for entries middle of next week.

Keep an eye on the FB page for details

https://www.facebook.com/ChampionChipIre

• Registered Users Posts: 21 limlad2018

Has anyone requested a refund? I've emailed but no response yet. Not sure if you're entitled to a refund if event is postponed does anyone know?

limlad2018 wrote: »
    Has anyone requested a refund? I've emailed but no response yet. Not sure if you're entitled to a refund if event is postponed does anyone know?

I'm not too sure. I would have a assumed you were, but I did the Virgin Media 10km night run this year and they said automatically entered next year, a virtual race w/medal this year and no refunds (even though I said I "couldn't make it next year")

Could pursue it with a charge back on the credit card but that's a lot of hassle if they wont give a refund its €50 all the same may dosent suit me next year. A sceptic would say they left entry open last few months to get all the entries knowing it was doubtful to go ahead due to covid

Could pursue it with a charge back on the credit card but that's a lot of hassle if they wont give a refund its €50 all the same may dosent suit me next year. A sceptic would say they left entry open last few months to get all the entries knowing it was doubtful to go ahead due to covid

I'd agree with you on that one, most events closed entries to limit numbers with the hope it would go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭ariana`

A sceptic would say they left entry open last few months to get all the entries knowing it was doubtful to go ahead due to covid

Seems to me this is the case. They said themselves in an email 3 weeks ago that if the numbers allowed outdoors were not increased, something which never looked likely to happen, it would not be going ahead and yet entries were still open for this period.

It's good they give 2 date options. I wonder up to what point can we defer from May to Oct :confused:

The email dosent give much other info like an option to drop from full to half which might interest me and others who usually run dublin in October . I'm surprised people aren't going mad about not being offered a refund!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

A sceptic would say they left entry open last few months to get all the entries knowing it was doubtful to go ahead due to covid

Anyone signing up in the last few months will have been well aware that this may get cancelled.

Anyone signing up in the last few months will have been well aware that this may get cancelled.
    So should I get my entry fee back?

So should I get my entry fee back?

I would certainly expect so! Contact the race organiser.

• Advertisement

I asked what are the options regarding a refund & this is the response I received:

Thank you for getting in touch. We are as disappointed as you are that
    we find ourselves in this situation.
    Run Galway Bay can offer you the following options:

1. Your place is automatically deferred to the new date of May 8th,
    2021. If this doesn't suit please choose one of the options below.

2. We can defer you to the October 2nd, 2021 event - if that date suits
    better please email us confirming you want to participate on this date.

3. We can transfer your entry to our sister event the Forest Marathon,
    in Portumna Forest Park on June 12th, if that date works, will you
    please email us to confirm.

4. We understand that the new dates will not suit some people and with
    this in mind, we are willing to switch names and participant details
    free of charge up to October 1st. This allows you to five your place to
    someone else if you wish if you do this please email us with their
    contact details for the new person.

We would like to reiterate we are absolutely devastated that the event
    has to be moved at this late stage. We were working with Galway City
    Council and had hoped that things were going in the right direction to
    allow us to stage a socially distanced event, but the government
    directive is clear and we all have a duty to help contain COVID-19.

Hope to see you at the start line of one of the above events in 2021.

Regards

Angela
    Run Galway Bay

• Registered Users Posts: 7,379 ✭✭✭Trampas

So basically we are keeping your money. Maybe people should remember this when thinking of doing a race organised by this group.

This was never happening unless they got the 10km race as they’d lose money on full. If people thought about it that was very slim.

The organiser is in it for the money. Might say they’re not

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

I asked what are the options regarding a refund & this is the response I received:

Shocking carry on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,942 ✭✭✭✭event

Wow, thats really poor form.

Could go bust next year, what happens to the money then?

Respond to them again and ask for a refund rather than a referral.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I’ve done that, several days ago. No response yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

Perhaps go with the charge back option if your getting no response from them

Murph_D wrote: »
    I’ve done that, several days ago. No response yet.

In the same both, got the email with the options that don't work, haven't heard anything back since. It definitely will make we think about what races I will do going forward

I did...

Thank you for your email. This is a general response to acknowledge that we have received your email. We will answer your specific questions as soon as we can. The following may answer some of your queries - if not we will be in contact shortly.

Why did we wait until Tuesday to confirm that the event is being rescheduled?

Run Galway Bay had prepared an event plan based on the expectation that the positive start to the fight to curb COVID-19 would have allowed more lenient social distancing rules by now. Our plan for smaller groups,
    spread out over a longer period of time was presented to Galway City Council in August and at that time seemed viable. However the positive trend in the fight against COVID-19 did not continue and the most recent Government announcement made it clear that the event could not proceed.

Why are we offering transfers?

The event wasn't cancelled - it has been postponed. This was not a decision made by the event organisers - it is a government directive - which we understand and agree with. We have already paid for most of the race expenses. Our suppliers are being very generous and in most cases have agreed to transfer their services to the new date. We have not asked our suppliers for refunds as we know it could put them out of business. We are asking you, our participants and supporters to do the same for us and work with us to ensure that Run Galway Bay survives this crisis.

What are your options?

We have given three different dates for events in Galway next year and we will also facilitate the transfer of your entry to someone else (Run Galway Bay entries are usually strictly non-transferable). As the three race distances were already nearly sold out there will be a lot of demand for these entries.

We appreciate that this disappointment is particularly harsh after a year of tough training and it's hard to take but we are doing this with everyone's safety in mind, in the best way that we can while also ensuring that we are in a position to continue to put on great runs for you in the months and years to come.

Regards

Angela

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭ariana`

Thank you for your email. This is a general response to acknowledge that we have received your email. We will answer your specific questions as soon as we can. The following may answer some of your queries - if not we will be in contact shortly.

Why did we wait until Tuesday to confirm that the event is being rescheduled?

Run Galway Bay had prepared an event plan based on the expectation that the positive start to the fight to curb COVID-19 would have allowed more lenient social distancing rules by now. Our plan for smaller groups,
    spread out over a longer period of time was presented to Galway City Council in August and at that time seemed viable. However the positive trend in the fight against COVID-19 did not continue and the most recent Government announcement made it clear that the event could not proceed.

Why are we offering transfers?

The event wasn't cancelled - it has been postponed. This was not a decision made by the event organisers - it is a government directive - which we understand and agree with. We have already paid for most of the race expenses. Our suppliers are being very generous and in most cases have agreed to transfer their services to the new date. We have not asked our suppliers for refunds as we know it could put them out of business. We are asking you, our participants and supporters to do the same for us and work with us to ensure that Run Galway Bay survives this crisis.

What are your options?

We have given three different dates for events in Galway next year and we will also facilitate the transfer of your entry to someone else (Run Galway Bay entries are usually strictly non-transferable). As the three race distances were already nearly sold out there will be a lot of demand for these entries.

We appreciate that this disappointment is particularly harsh after a year of tough training and it's hard to take but we are doing this with everyone's safety in mind, in the best way that we can while also ensuring that we are in a position to continue to put on great runs for you in the months and years to come.

Regards

Angela

If there is going to be a lot of demand for these places then you'd expect giving a refund to a portion of people and freeing up more places shouldn't be such an issue :rolleyes:

Advertisement