Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The long route to Cork

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭NewCorkLad

griffin100 wrote: »
    It won’t be that bad. Rolling start, a long course and lots of space will help with any congestion. Like most big races I reckon only the first buoy will be rough.

Well it turns out i didnt need to worry about the swim :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭NewCorkLad

Just popping in to give a quick update.

Was gutted they cancelled the swim even with my worries over congestion as I hoped to give myself an hour cushion here if my calf prevented me from running, however the right decision was definitly made on the day, however that been said it tok way too long for a decision to be made and communicated out, I was out in the elements for 4 hours freezing my ass off before I got going on the bike.

Enjoyed the first loop of the bike, while it was raining constantly the wind didnt have too much of an effect and my lack of training for 6 weeks wasnt killing me. Made it to Windmill hill in good time and had planned to walk it to not risk my calf but took the turn saw the crowd and said F**k it, got up on my toes until about half way when i either hit one of the manhole covers or some exposed tar and my rear wheel lost all grip. I was lucky to get my foot out in time and walked the rest of the way up. The second loop I felt the wind picked up and the lack of recent cycling started to tell but at this stage I knew I would be happy if I just finished the day so got the head down and finished the loop(got off the bike around the corner from Windmill hill the second time as I dint want to get sucked in again)

Entered the Transition tent and I was freezing, couldnt get warm for a while, I had a spare dry cycling jersey which I put on under my soaked cycling jacket which helped for a while. My plan was to walk the first K, then try a slow jog and hopefully all going well keep that up as long as calf would allow, but as I approached the tent door shaking with the cold I stopped and looked at the rain sheeting sideways I knew if I didnt run I was done, so I set off holding a pace of 7min/km. My new plan was to run till I got warm and then revert to my old strategy, however the energy around town was so good I just kept runnning until 21km at which point I walked for 2 mins and started running again, overall I probably walked under 3 k of the total marathon which under the circumstanaces I am delighted with( first time runnning further than 23k, recovering from a torn calf and no running the previous 6 weeks)

Overall my time was grand but approaching the day it became more about finishing it than acheiving any sort of time. The canceled swim now just means I will need to do another IM but not Ireland again as much as I loved the day, I want to experience somewhere new and if Im doning Ireland again will just do the Hardman.

New plan is 70.3 somewhere with heat in 2020 to see if I can handle the sun and then plan my new IM in 2021.

Gonna take my time as this IM stuff which I love is a huge time commitment and I dont want to miss out at home.

Advertisement