Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DNA Analysis

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

I'd hope so, how many people are in the Late Late audience? North of 100? That's a nice way to add to their database of actual Irish based samples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Did they test for haplogroups?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

There was indeed one for everyone in the audience.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭torrevieja

BowWow wrote: »
    Genuine question - Was there one for everyone in the audience?

Yes there was ...

Actually all of my question wasn't answered i asked if people related to you dont do the dna test how will u ever know ? and also asked are u depending on the more people who takes the test ?

• Advertisement

I've suggested you use the search function to read many other threads about DNA on this forum.

I think the answer is pretty obvious: everyone will have a lot of matches, how close they are is potluck. As the years go by, more and more people are getting tested. Every time I log in, I have new matches. But the closest I've found and confirmed is a 3rd cousin.

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I've suggested you use the search function to read many other threads about DNA on this forum.

I think the answer is pretty obvious: everyone will have a lot of matches, how close they are is potluck. As the years go by, more and more people are getting tested. Every time I log in, I have new matches. But the closest I've found and confirmed is a 3rd cousin.

Can i ask Pinky which company you took the test and do the different companies exchange there results with each other ?

I've used FTDNA - there is some exchange between companies but you have to pay to do it. Third party site gedmatch.com is the way to go.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Third party site gedmatch.com is the way to go.

Can you elaborate what you mean by that thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

I've used FTDNA - there is some exchange between companies but you have to pay to do it. Third party site gedmatch.com is the way to go.
    FTDNA is currently accepting autosomal transfers for free.  You get your full list of matches.  They are charging $19 to unlock Chromosome Browser, myOrigins, and ancientOrigins.

This is their new policy as of last month.

• Advertisement

It's a site where you can upload results from the 3 main DNA testing companies.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

dubhthach wrote: »
    I'd hope so, how many people are in the Late Late audience? North of 100? That's a nice way to add to their database of actual Irish based samples.

That studio seats 200, but the main advantage is that the event brought DNA ancestry before a much wider audience so it should generate better familiarity and a wider potential customer base.
    All the DNA companies have serious customer communication issues, their claims are too strong and they obfuscate the results where the sample size is too small.

That studio seats 200, but the main advantage is that the event brought DNA ancestry before a much wider audience so it should generate better familiarity and a wider potential customer base.
    All the DNA companies have serious customer communication issues, their claims are too strong and they obfuscate the results where the sample size is too small.

Well even if they got a 20% return rate that's not bad, an additional 40-50 Irish people in the AncestryDNA database is a start. Given that there was a bit of fun with it (using the currently unreleased "Genetic communities" feature) I imagine they might actually get a better return rate than that. It does help that the postage is free back to Dublin offices of Ancestry in John Rogerson quay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭BowWow

Looked at a recording of the LLS today - very interesting section on DNA and absolutely great marketing by Ancestry.

I'm waiting on my own results at present, but recently got my wife's. Whilst we can get all her European results, on the LLS the 5 people sampled had DNA results narrowed down to province/county. Is this available for all people tested?

Looked at a recording of the LLS today - very interesting section on DNA and absolutely great marketing by Ancestry.

I'm waiting on my own results at present, but recently got my wife's. Whilst we can get all her European results, on the LLS the 5 people sampled had DNA results narrowed down to province/county. Is this available for all people tested?

No. That is a brand new feature still in testing that is not available to customers as yet. But if they're demonstrating it on TV, it can't be far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

I recently paid over 100 Euro to have my ancestral DNA done by a supposedly reputable outfit, only to be told I was "100% European."

That was it.

I have never felt so ripped off. Naturally, my request to get my money back was ignored.

I have not given up.

Can anyone tell me (by PM or on thread) the name of a decent company, and what I am likely to get for my money (and saliva)?

Thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's a site where you can upload results from the 3 main DNA testing companies.

I like GEDMatch. I just really wish some people would fill in their trees or reply to emails. I mean why would you upload your stuff and then not reply to matches?

Their eye colour prediction tool has been creepily accurate in my family's cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Looked at a recording of the LLS today - very interesting section on DNA
    on the LLS the 5 people sampled had DNA results narrowed down to province/county.

I suspect they are being over specific with regard to local pinpointing places of origin. While work is in progress, I do not believe it can yet be narrowed down so precisely.

For genealogical companies, DNA is a potential goldmine, hence the snake oil sales tactics.

tabbey wrote: »
    I suspect they are being over specific with regard to local pinpointing places of origin. While work is in progress, I do not believe it can yet be narrowed down so precisely.

You would be surprised. Studies aimed at narrowing down that precisely have been going on for years. There is already a test out aimed at Brits that appears to be legitimate: https://www.livingdna.com/en-us/uk-regional-breakdown

I recently paid over 100 Euro to have my ancestral DNA done by a supposedly reputable outfit, only to be told I was "100% European."

That was it.

I have never felt so ripped off. Naturally, my request to get my money back was ignored.

I have not given up.

Can anyone tell me (by PM or on thread) the name of a decent company, and what I am likely to get for my money (and saliva)?

Thanks.

What company was it?

• Advertisement

tabbey wrote: »

For genealogical companies, DNA is a potential goldmine, hence the snake oil sales tactics.

From what I've read about "Genetic Communities" feature that's supposedly coming at end of this month (or in early April) is that it's based off using people in their database to find matches in specific region.

So for example in case of Healy-Rae he most closely matched people who had already tested with origins in region that mentioned.

Obviously for most accurate results you are going to need people with at least 4 grandparents (or prefable 8 great-grandparents) from same geographic region. This is one of the criteria for the up and coming Irish DNA Atlas (Royal College of Surgeons involved). To be in that study a person had to have all 8 great-grandparents from a specific geographic region of around 30km across. I couldn't take part myself as I didn't meet the criteria.

Given the age of the participants the average great-grandparent was born in the late 1840's so it will give us an idea of genetic substructure in Ireland around the time of the Famine.

dubhthach wrote: »
    Obviously for most accurate results you are going to need people with at least 4 grandparents (or prefable 8 great-grandparents) from same geographic region. This is one of the criteria for the up and coming Irish DNA Atlas (Royal College of Surgeons involved). To be in that study a person had to have all 8 great-grandparents from a specific geographic region of around 30km across. I couldn't take part myself as I didn't meet the criteria.

I'm the same: 6/8 are in it but there's 2 from another part of the country. I did consider submitting my aunt's DNA without telling her because she does fit the criteria, but then I decided that would be bold.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I'm the same: 6/8 are in it but there's 2 from another part of the country. I did consider submitting my aunt's DNA without telling her because she does fit the criteria, but then I decided that would be bold.

Don't tell her :rolleyes:

I just noticed that the new AncestryDNA "Genetic Communities" feature is now displaying on my profile. I didn't get an e-mail about it and it still says it's in beta. It has me as part of "Irish in Donegal East" and "Ulster Irish" (one being inside the other of course), which are both true, but nothing involving the rest of my tree.

Going back to third-great-grandparents, my tree breaks down as:
    - 9/32 Donegal
    - 6/32 Cork
    - 4/32 Galway
    - 2/32 Mayo
    - 1/32 Roscommon
    - 1/32 Offaly
    - 1/32 Laois
    - 1/32 Cavan
    - 1/32 Derry
    - 5/32 Unknown Irish (3 likely Ulster)
    - 1/32 Scotland

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭hammy007

RGM wrote: »
    I just noticed that the new AncestryDNA "Genetic Communities" feature is now displaying on my profile. I didn't get an e-mail about it and it still says it's in beta. It has me as part of "Irish in Donegal East" and "Ulster Irish" (one being inside the other of course), which are both true, but nothing involving the rest of my tree.

Going back to third-great-grandparents, my tree breaks down as:
    - 9/32 Donegal
    - 6/32 Cork
    - 4/32 Galway
    - 2/32 Mayo
    - 1/32 Roscommon
    - 1/32 Offaly
    - 1/32 Laois
    - 1/32 Cavan
    - 1/32 Derry
    - 5/32 Unknown Irish (3 likely Ulster)
    - 1/32 Scotland

Roberta Estes wrote a good analysis about it:

https://dna-explained.com/2017/03/28/genetic-communities/

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Mez1982

I have 2 genetic communities. Connaught Irish with a 60% likelihood and Munster Irish with a 20% likelihood. My ethnicity showed me as 77% Irish with 20% British thrown in and the rest in trace regions. There's absolutely no indication of where the 20% fits in even though I know 2 of my surnames are English and 1 being Scottish. I'm just hoping that as it's still in the beta stages that I'll eventually find out! One possibility is that my English connections havnt tested yet because this genetic communities update is going by your matches DNA and their trees..

Mez1982 wrote: »
    I have 2 genetic communities. Connaught Irish with a 60% likelihood and Munster Irish with a 20% likelihood.

It's interesting that you have those provinces with lower likelihoods and I just don't have them at all. I have Donegal East with 60 percent and Ulster Irish with 95 percent.

What percentage of your family tree would you say falls into Munster and Connaught categories?

I've just logged in, they have me in two "Genetic communities" namely:

"Irish in Southern Ireland"
    genetic-community.png

and "Munster Irish"
    genetic-community2.png

The labelling on second one is bit off if ye ask me, given it contains all of the historic province of Leinster (eg. south of line Galway -> Dublin).

Now my mother is from North Clare and my father is mix of Belfast and East-Galway/South-Roscommon. Both groups above seem rather vague, doesn't look like I got sub-divided into anything further.

RGM wrote: »
    It's interesting that you have those provinces with lower likelihoods and I just don't have them at all. I have Donegal East with 60 percent and Ulster Irish with 95 percent.

What percentage of your family tree would you say falls into Munster and Connaught categories?

The funny thing is none for Connaught (that I know of). Majority of my mams side would have had Munster origins so I don't understand why I got so little for there and got so much for Connaught! My paper trail goes stops about 1835 or so.
    Also just looking again, Munster spills up to Leinster so my dad's side as far back were Kildare with the origins in Cavan.

• Advertisement

Hopefully they are viewable. Screenshots from tablet

Advertisement