Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taskmaster (Greg Davies sets some comedians daft challenges!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭appledrop

Oh it definitely subjective, I loved Charlotte Ritchie.

No one this season stands out, even Frankie who you would think would be amazing isn't as good as expected.

Yep one of worst tasks I have ever seen.

The egg tasks wasn't great but not as bad as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,165 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

What a poor episode. One of the worst in the shows history I reckon.

I find Mae so bland and so boring. All the determination of Ed Gamble with absolutely none of the charm or humour. Reckon they'll cruise to series winner with a show or two to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Did you? I found her sound and a bit of craic but rather timid, out of her comfort zone and no real imagination towards any task really.

Actually think Frankie, Ivo, Jennie & Kiel are good auld craic..... Mae is shite i've said but i also think the tasks are below standard, if not outright poor at times, which ultimately affects things too.

I'd say Frankie has mellowed. If we had the same Frankie Boyle of MTW days then he'd be up there as one of the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,759 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I don't think Frankie has mellowed.... New World Order proves that.

Unfortunately the format just doesn't suit him.

He has a great acerbic wit often focusing on politics and social class, and doesn't really line up with TM.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 33,137 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah they've definitely stated in interviews that he did the show because his kids really wanted him to do it. His style and comedy has definitely come through more in the prize tasks and a few comments in the studio, but doesn't really translate into the tasks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,332 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Looking at the Taskmaster-Reddit, people seem a lot more vocal /critical of this season compared to previous ones. Maybe because season 14 was so good and between Mae being so competent and the tasks being overly complex/harsh and lots of disqualifications it's just not as exciting.

Apart from maybe Ivo and Frankie, there's very little chemistry between the group but I do wonder how much is down to the editing. Based off the Podcasts so far they all supposedly got on brilliant

I don't get Ivo at all, I know some of you seem to love him but he just seems so uncomfortable at times with tasks like egg one, obviously finds some things difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

All seasons have had their hit and miss moments but this one is terrible. Not gonna watch rest of it. First time I've given up on one, hopefully they get back on track next season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,165 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

If anything, this series illuminates more than any that the success of a season is almost entirely down to the contestants. The tasks can be brilliantly devised for comedy and entertainment but without the right people, it doesn't make a blind bit of difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭pjcb

Ivo and frankie were guessing the flavours all wrong and then sorted out the numbers thing and suddenly had the right flavours in the right order

Cause of how it was edited. It took them 42 minutes and they showed about a minute of their attempt

Better episode tonight and the live task was very good but I don't think I'll be rewatching this season anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,752 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Enjoyed tonight's episode after last week's one (which was poor).

Nice to see Ivo thinking outside the box on the egg task. The food one with the times and claps was good too.

Finally the 1st episode I've enjoyed this series, I actually gave out to my husband for putting it on but was pleasantly surprised.

Junior Taskmaster will have Rose Matafeo as the Taskmaster and Mike Wozniak as the Taskmaster's Assistant.

As much as I wasn't really planning on watching it (because the studio sections will likely be annoying as kids never know when to shut the hell up, especially ones who want to be on TV), but Mike Wozniak being the Little Alex Horne might just sway me. That's an inspired choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,113 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Watched the latest episode last night. Agree with others. Best of the season so far.

Much better episode. Frankie and Ivo were terrific. Frankie telling Kiell that "the energy of the universe encompasses everything and weighs more than your f*cking bowl and spoon" was definitely the biggest laugh I had all series.

A hell of a contrast to Greg asking Mae what went wrong and they said "Jelly started breaking".... Thanks for that comedic retort, Mae....

Frankie, Ivo and Kiel were brilliant, I like watching Mae at tasks but they add absolutely nothing to the studio parts. It's a bit awkward at times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Kiel was one I was worried about as he is best known as a comedy actor delivering other writers funny lines which often doesn't translate well to this format - and I was also conscious that his fellow Ghosts crew LollyA, Charlotte Richie and Katy Wix weren't particularly memorable contestants.

But he's been terrific all the way through.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,248 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

He has a weird innocence thing going on that I like. It’s hard to describe but he’s been good.

I think Ivo was robbed in this episode. I thought his plan with the bricks was fine as the stuff to be weighed was still on top of the jelly and adding weight on top of it (not like Jenny's which wasn't touching it at all). He made a great point about how him using the umbrella to make drinks was more unique than Frankie and Jenny who both made clothes from theirs. And Mae's drawings of pineapples should have been, as best, counted as 1 pineapple.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,752 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Gotta agree on Ivo he was good this episode deserved far more points, Maes pineapple drawing was nonsense no way should those have counted.

Frankie had some great bits in the studio.

I really should have had a few less joke scandals and not ended up in this position ha ha

Post edited by gmisk on

Pretty good episode. All were entertaining, even Mae was decent for a change i thought. I thought her pineapple drawings were a great idea tbh! It was in a similar vein to Frankie’s heaviest thing - thinking outside the box!

A lot of people giving out about Mae's pineapple idea but had no issue with Frankie for the jelly task

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Schorpio

The thing that grated me about Mae's pineapple drawings was the lack of consistency from Greg.

The 'banana' sign was not allowed - on the basis that there was an actual banana available. In the pineapple task, there were additional pineapples available, but Mae missed them. As I see it, that's on Mae.

Points-wise, it makes no difference (think Mae would have gotten 4, instead of the full 5), but it just irks me that the banana sign was brought up in the studio and Greg still went against his previous ruling.

Greg definitely allows things based on fairly dodgy and inconsistent reasoning a lot of the time. My issue with Mae's pineapple thing is that it wasn't really "thinking outside the box" in a clever, interesting or funny way. Whereas Frankie's jelly task was a lot more lateral thinking, different definition of a word, and it was funny.

You can't really be a huge stickler for the rules in the show, but at the very least if you're doing something outside the box, make it entertaining so it's worth it. The only funny part of Mae's bit was when they dropped Alex's pen in the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,759 ✭✭✭✭Basq

These tasks are the poorest yet!

• Advertisement

The tasks aren't that great, but Frankie and Ivo are really saving it. I think this is actually one of the best episodes of the series.

Advertisement