Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I'm too young for a midlife crisis

• 09-11-2014 11:53pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So, I've very reluctantly started a log over here. Most of you will know how durty this makes me feel - I didn't want to sully my run log by transferring it over here.

Forever the reluctant triathlete, I accidently signed up for Ironman Austria at the beginning of July...someone planted the seed by posting a remaining entry type countdown on Facebook...oh but guess who is not doing the f*cking thing themselves :mad: :P

For some reason, I set Austria 2015 as a goal race a few years ago, before I'd even done a triathlon. So when entries went live my trigger finger started feeling guilty. As a runner who swims and jumps on the bike once every 4 months or so, this is obviously going to be a big change in training and mindset for me.

This isn't a ticking the box exercise, this is a 100%, all in, goal race. So much so, I even went out on the bike today. In November. And it wasn't just a spin down to the local Tesco!!! (now you know BTH)

As far as the bike is concerned, this is obviously going to be my biggest hurdle - I love cycling but it's so time consuming and getting the bike ready for a spin is a real pain in the ass. Then I have to clean the bloody thing when I get back.
    One person who just did an IM this year said to me that I was going to love it, and their reason why? because I love to run...so even when it feels sh*tty at the end, I'm doing what I love to do. Goes along with my claims that this is really just a marathon with a really long warm up. :D

I have an idea of what I want from this (but I'm an IM novice and really have no clue what I'm doing) and a loose idea of how I will be structuring my training week. Undecided on coaching etc
    I am not exactly where I would like to be, but, I am where I am. Would have like my running to be closer to being where I was at my best, or better, but I'm not quite there yet, but that's OK.

Having entered this in July, I was until the last couple of weeks, still unsure whether or not this would be possible or not. Have had some health issues over the last few years but thankfully, I have come through it all. I will still be overcautious when feeling extra tired or run down. I'm a very, very lucky girl to be doing any of this, let alone aiming for an Ironman. So that's something to get me through those long, cold, miserable long bike rides.

Needless to say, this is absolutely, 100% not a midlife crisis.

btw Izoard, what's your IM pb? Just want to know what my ''ah sure that'll do'' goal will be. ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Welcome! Just a few months and 226km from hoochies status :)

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

It's about fecking time you got your arse over here. ;) Welcome, fellow hoochie. :)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Quarter life crisis. *nods sagely* :cool:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Quarter life crisis. *nods sagely* :cool:

Jesus, imagine what a cranky oul moan I'd be at THAT age :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

Welcome. Fantastic journey ahead of you. Look forward to following it with you.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

We've been keeping a seat here for you for ages. Knew you'd turn up eventually. :)

This is going to be an interesting log! Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

So, I've very reluctantly started a log over here. Most of you will know how durty this makes me feel - I didn't want to sully my run log by transferring it over here.

Forever the reluctant triathlete, I accidently signed up for Ironman Austria at the beginning of July...someone planted the seed by posting a remaining entry type countdown on Facebook...oh but guess who is not doing the f*cking thing themselves :mad: :P

For some reason, I set Austria 2015 as a goal race a few years ago, before I'd even done a triathlon. So when entries went live my trigger finger started feeling guilty. As a runner who swims and jumps on the bike once every 4 months or so, this is obviously going to be a big change in training and mindset for me.

This isn't a ticking the box exercise, this is a 100%, all in, goal race. So much so, I even went out on the bike today. In November. And it wasn't just a spin down to the local Tesco!!! (now you know BTH)

As far as the bike is concerned, this is obviously going to be my biggest hurdle - I love cycling but it's so time consuming and getting the bike ready for a spin is a real pain in the ass. Then I have to clean the bloody thing when I get back.
    One person who just did an IM this year said to me that I was going to love it, and their reason why? because I love to run...so even when it feels sh*tty at the end, I'm doing what I love to do. Goes along with my claims that this is really just a marathon with a really long warm up. :D

I have an idea of what I want from this (but I'm an IM novice and really have no clue what I'm doing) and a loose idea of how I will be structuring my training week. Undecided on coaching etc
    I am not exactly where I would like to be, but, I am where I am. Would have like my running to be closer to being where I was at my best, or better, but I'm not quite there yet, but that's OK.

Having entered this in July, I was until the last couple of weeks, still unsure whether or not this would be possible or not. Have had some health issues over the last few years but thankfully, I have come through it all. I will still be overcautious when feeling extra tired or run down. I'm a very, very lucky girl to be doing any of this, let alone aiming for an Ironman. So that's something to get me through those long, cold, miserable long bike rides.

btw Izoard, what's your IM pb? Just want to know what my ''ah sure that'll do'' goal will be. ;)

RQ versus Tango in IM Austria.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

You need to start thinking and training like a tri head now. Will follow with interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Slippery slope.

You'll be messing Adventure Racing in no time ;)

AKW wrote: »
    Slippery slope.

You'll be messing Adventure Racing in no time ;)

Kayaking? Feck that, that's worse than cycling!

• Advertisement

Kayaking? Feck that, that's worse than cycling!

How? There's no cars on the water!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Good that you made the move RQ.

The solution is obvious surely- get a good turbo!

Pros:
    1. Jump on without setting up.
    2. No cleaning involved.
    3. No cars to crash into.

Cons:
    1. The entertainment value of your log is lowered as there are no cars to crash into.

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    The solution is obvious surely- get a good turbo!

Pros:
    1. Jump on without setting up.
    2. No cleaning involved.
    3. No cars to crash into.

What is the one thing worse than cycling outdoors? Cycling indoors. *shudder*

I actually found my turbo wheel at the beginning of September, I say found, I knew where it was, walked past if every day, it's been in the same place for the last 18 months (well, I moved it from one corner of the room to the other once as I wanted to clean the corner, couldn't bring myself to touch it again to move it back). So I cleaned all the dog hair and dust off it...left it out the back...for about two weeks. Remembered it existed, moved it to the shed with my alu road bike (which for the time being is going to be my turbo bike, because, lets be honest, if I put my other bike on the turbo, it is never coming off and actually going out on the road). It's still out there.

Weekend before last, I 'found' my turbo...it took a little longer to clean that off. Dust. Cobwebs. Congealed dog hair. It's now in my line of sight.

Maybe in a month or so I'll set the turbo up, then maybe start using it in January or something. Baby steps and all that... :)

Note to self: Pretty sure turbo wheel was flat. This may put back my first turbo session till February.
    Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Cons:
    1. The entertainment value of your log is lowered as there are no cars to crash into.

How many times have we to go through this? I do not crash into cars, the cars crash into me. The drivers are so astounded by my beauty they try to get as close as they can to me and then BAM!!! Serves me right for being so hot I guess.

Monday AM - Still following my run plan as it was for now. Broke the news of Austria to my run coach on Saturday...surprisingly he was actually OK about it. So we'll be sitting down shortly and making a plan properly. Anyway, plan was 50 - 60 mins easy. Couldn't face my normal Monday morning run so changed the route around a bit. Got back to the office in 45 minutes and an extra 10 minutes for breakfast before work. Hurrah.

Monday PM - coached swim

Tuesday AM - Working from home today. Too lazy to get up early and run before work. Waited till lunch. Plan was same as yesterday 50 - 60 mins easy. Pissing rain. Love it. 55mins easy. Easy pace has sped up in the last few weeks and feeling good at the same HRs. Long time since sub 9's felt that easy on a recovery day (I'm never going to run in km's). Good to be back feeling more comforable at the faster paces.

Tuesday PM - group swim. Months since I swam like that.
    8 x 100
    ( ?? x 25m kick, 25m FC, 25m backstroke kick, 25m FC)
    2 x 50
    2 x 100
    2 x 200
    1 x 300
    1 x 600 ( Led this one out, could have sworn someone said it was a 400 as we headed out so stopped after 16...had to go again for another 8 lengths...on the brightside I beat my 400m TT time from last week over the 400)
    8 x ( 50m SA catch up, 25m FC, 25m catch up) - did 6, got bored, got out.

Monday AM - Still following my run plan as it was for now. Broke the news of Austria to my run coach on Saturday...surprisingly he was actually OK about it. So we'll be sitting down shortly and making a plan properly. Anyway, plan was 50 - 60 mins easy. Couldn't face my normal Monday morning run so changed the route around a bit. Got back to the office in 45 minutes and an extra 10 minutes for breakfast before work. Hurrah.

Monday PM - coached swim

Tuesday AM - Working from home today. Too lazy to get up early and run before work. Waited till lunch. Plan was same as yesterday 50 - 60 mins easy. Pissing rain. Love it. 55mins easy. Easy pace has sped up in the last few weeks and feeling good at the same HRs. Long time since sub 9's felt that easy on a recovery day (I'm never going to run in km's). Good to be back feeling more comforable at the faster paces.

Tuesday PM - group swim. Months since I swam like that.
    8 x 100
    ( ?? x 25m kick, 25m FC, 25m backstroke kick, 25m FC)
    2 x 50
    2 x 100
    2 x 200
    1 x 300
    1 x 600 ( Led this one out, could have sworn someone said it was a 400 as we headed out so stopped after 16...had to go again for another 8 lengths...on the brightside I beat my 400m TT time from last week over the 400)
    8 x ( 50m SA catch up, 25m FC, 25m catch up) - did 6, got bored, got out.

Tsk, tsk....none of that now. We're training for an IM....good habits, and all that, start now and will pay dividends later. Getting you prepared for the start line of Austria will take every meter and every mile possible!!! ;):)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Tsk, tsk....none of that now. We're training for an IM....good habits, and all that, start now and will pay dividends later. Getting you prepared for the start line of Austria will take every meter and every mile possible!!! ;):)

In my defence, usually the pool security guard has already started putting the pool cover on by then, I've worked in gyms I know how it feels when people won't GET OUT at closing time. Just thinking of that poor chap.

In my defence, usually the pool security guard has already started putting the pool cover on by then, I've worked in gyms I know how it feels when people won't GET OUT at closing time. Just thinking of that poor chap.

;) I've got my eye on you. We're gonna make sure you rock up to the IM start line ready to crush it!! My best advice is, get to the pool earlier, or swim faster. :D

;) I've got my eye on you. We're gonna make sure you rock up to the IM start line ready to crush it!! My best advice is, get to the pool earlier, or swim faster. :D

Kids use the pool before us...I was second in the lane for most of the session, can only swim up to 5 seconds faster than the person ahead of me ;)

I've an answer for everything!

Kids use the pool before us...I was second in the lane for most of the session, can only swim up to 5 seconds faster than the person ahead of me ;)

I've an answer for everything!

Listen here, missy. It takes a village to raise an IronHoochie, and we are not gonna let you down. No more skimping on sessions. Embrace every frickin' boring swim set, gut wrenching bike session, and soul destroying run on tired legs....you will be thanking yourself when it's go time. Hate it now so you love it later. :)

^^^that needs to be your signature.

• Advertisement

The hate I/love it thing? Mine or RQ's?

The hate I/love it thing? Mine or RQ's?
    RQ of course. You have motivation coming out your ears already!

Oryx wrote: »
    RQ of course. You have motivation coming out your ears already!

I don't need any motivation :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

About f*cking time this log went up.

Smack talk already - bring it on.

PB is 11:30, but that was on a proper course, equivalent in Austria would be about 11:00...:pac:

Speaking of which, what is your marathon PB?;)

Izoard wrote: »
    About f*cking time this log went up.

Smack talk already - bring it on.

PB is 11:30, but that was on a proper course, equivalent in Austria would be about 11:00...:pac:

Speaking of which, what is your marathon PB?;)

Where you on EPO for this?

Where you on EPO for this?

Deer antler juice, mostly - probably still have some lying around if you want to try it...;)

Deer antler juice, mostly - probably still have some lying around if you want to try it...;)

I won't need it to beat you old chap!

Wednesday - Plan: 15 min w/u > 3 x 1.5 mile w/1 min recovery > 15 min w/d

This is without doubt one of my least, if not, my least favourite session. Don't know what it is about it but mentally it drains me. Give me 6 x 1 mile or 3 x 2 mile and I'll want to double the session but give me 3 x 1.5 mile and I'll die a little inside. Spent the day dreading it and trying to make myself feel too tired to train. Then I thought ''hmmm traffic might be bad, might be too tired after a long drive home from work to do this'' Alas, it was not to be and I got home early. :(

So, off I went....this is meant to be an AT run but I still haven't replaced my HRM battery so this was just done on effort. I've become so used to working off HR that it's hard now to do this on RPE. I've mentioned recently that I feel like it's time to push on from a bit while running but I'm finding it hard to make the move. Still being a bit cautious I guess.

Rep 1 - 11:22 / 7:34 average - felt too comfortable and way below AT pace.
    Rep 2 - 11:21 / 7:34 average - still too comfortable, head whirring - should I be picking this up?
    Rep 3 - 10:50 / 7:13 average - comfortably uncomfortable. Thats a bit more like it.

Actually enjoyed this in the end. The dread is the worst, you always know deep down that the reason you're dreading it is because of the way it hurts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

is that another of those f-ing craft beers??

BTH wrote: »
    is that another of those f-ing craft beers??

Don't mention the c....b..... words or this place will be overrun with them ultra runner types :D

• Advertisement

AKW wrote: »
    Don't mention the c....b..... words or this place will be overrun with them ultra runner types :D

Too late - um1 has been posting to the dark side recently - once Krusty moves over, they will have to shut the hairy-legged forum for good...

Advertisement