Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The West Wing *Spoilers*

• 18-06-2011 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I've never watched it but I'm looking for a new series to watch after recently finishing The Wire, The Sopranos and catching up on Entourage (now waiting for the new season to be released next month).

Is it worth watching?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Absolutely! It's very clever and quite funny at times. I've watched the whole thing about 3 times and would watch it again. It's quite addictive though so be prepared for some late nights!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭cml387

Limit yourself to two a week.
    You don't need to know that much about American politics.
    It has crackling dialogue.
    It can be overly sentimental and idealistic at times...but

I wish I was able to watch it for the first time again!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I've just noticed there's over 150 episodes with a running time of 40 minutes each :eek:

I'll give it a go anyway!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Excellent series and very addictive if you have the complete set.

As someone else said, limit yourself to a couple a week or prepare for some late nights !

Some great sub-plots in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I watched the box set for the first time 12 months ago. I have since watched it through again. And I'd watch it again in a heartbeat. I loved it. The stories were great (if over dramatic at times). It is quite educational also in a fun way in terms of American politics, which I have since become interested in since watching the show.

For me the characters stole the show. There are some amazing Story lines for the characters and I loved allthe main ones in their own little way.

Josh for me was the funniest albut I have a soft spot for Leo.

As others have said it's addictive and difficult to limit your exposure. I ha some very sleepy mornings in work having had a very very very late night watching loads of episodes in one go because I couldn't turn it off.

Amazing show. One of my all time favourites

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

It would make my top 5, I've watched it through 3 times, definitely give it a shot.

Others in my top 5 are

The Wire
    Six Feet Under
    Band of Brothers
    Breaking Bad

Leo would be my ideal boss.

It would be nice to go in with some mega problem and just say..

"..there's this thing,Leo...."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

it's good for a couple of seasons but after a while it doesn't even try to pretend to be a drama and descends into blatant democratic party propoganda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

You'll notice a change from Season 4 when Aaron Sorkin had left, a lot of the smart snappy dialogue was missing

Still excellent.

It's makes zero attempt to be balanced, you'd swear the Republican party were monsters from Season 1-5.
    The Left Wing

mikemac wrote: »
    You'll notice a change from Season 4 when Aaron Sorkin had left, a lot of the smart snappy dialogue was missing

Still excellent.

It's makes zero attempt to be balanced, you'd swear the Republican party were monsters from Season 1-5.
    The Left Wing

It is a Democrat wet dream to a certain extent,but towards the end it stormed back with a very sympathetic Republican candidate in Alan Alda.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm just working through it at the moment - recently finished season three. It's not the best show I've ever watched, but it's still fascinating viewing, mostly for the dialogue (it amazes me Sorkin wrote the vast majority of episodes in the first few seasons - the man is a walking wit machine).

It does feel stretched at 22 episodes per season would be my main criticism. Definitely felt dragged out in Season 3 at times. And not all the characters work - a main in series one was dropped without nary a reference and with good cause, and I'm not sure what to make of Ainsley Hayes. But it can be very funny at times, most of the cast are superb (Sheen and Janney notable highlights, and Mary Louise Parker gets an awesome supporting role later on) and it's rarely less than unusually smart, intelligent and engaging television. Often times it goes beyond that - the season two finale is some of the most astonishing TV I've ever seen - but so far I'm glad I've committed to the time investment.

I agree with the above, amazing television

For Season Seven
    I read several places that the writers had planned for Arnold Vinick to win the election as viewers would not expect this, not with the writing being so pro Democrat. It's only when the actor playing Leo died they changed the script to let Santos win
    Not sure if it's true but I can believe it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

mikemac this is true - final gift for the fans........and also interesting fact (apparently) - some of the advisors for the last series were actual Obama advisors and as time goes by, the amount of things that happened on the show that have happened since it finished are nuts like
    Mrs. Bartlett appearing on Sesame Street - Michelle Obama has done that!......obviously other stuff too, but that's the nuttiest of them all!

OP, it's a cracking series, Josh is my fav and I loved his 'relationship' with Donna; loved Ainsley, but Mary Louise Parker got on my wick........Janeane Garofalo was excellent in series 7! Happy viewing!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Would recommend The West Wing without hesitation. The first 4 seasons are probably the best TV I've ever seen. After that, you do notice a change, but it was watchable for me up until season 7 and I have to admit I struggled through that one. It wasn't 'the west wing' anymore at that stage, for obvious reasons.

Toby is my favourite character, but without each of the other characters, he'd go down like a lead balloon. I've watched the whole boxset through twice and, like others have said, would do so again any time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Paully D wrote: »
    I've never watched it but I'm looking for a new series to watch after recently finishing The Wire, The Sopranos and catching up on Entourage (now waiting for the new season to be released next month).

Is it worth watching?

Is it what? ABSOLUTELY - no hesitation.
    THEE best TV program ever written - and I say that as a sci-fi fan and as Firefly/Serenity fanatic too.
    The show itself is a master class on how such subsequent things should be made.

Brilliant cast, twice as brilliant writing and great story lines intertwined with great characters and their individual personalities/quirks.

I bought the blue presidential box of the complete series and watch it now at least once a year.
    I've yet to see any others shows match it in awesomeness (but some have come close: The Wire, The Shield just to name two...)

The creators of the show by the way, were inventors of a number of camera techniques that have been copied relentlessly since.
    All would be explained on the extra features of a good complete box set.

Arron Sorkin (original writer) is a god when it comes to writing by the way!
    He left late in the series and sometimes it shows BUT even then, the show maintains its quality nearly to the previous quality - and is still better than others on TV subsequently or at the time.
    As the new writers got to grips with the show and cast, they too once again created some brilliant writing and by the last season nears the end, you can't get the dvd's into your drive quick enough to see whats going to happen next.

Enjoy?
    You certainly will.

For Season Seven
    I read several places that the writers had planned for Arnold Vinick to win the election as viewers would not expect this, not with the writing being so pro Democrat. It's only when the actor playing Leo died they changed the script to let Santos win
    Not sure if it's true but I can believe it
    Yes, thats true - its explained in the extras of the blue presidential box set.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Probably the best dialogue in any show i've ever watched. Season's 1-4 especially had soem fantastic, snappy dialogue. The casting was also perfect. All the main cast were perfect, and i they all did a fantastic job. I've still not seen the last season, but am watching it again, currently on season 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,446 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I bought the box set last year (curse bargain alerts!) and its gathering dust. Haven't watched a single episode. I think this will be my next marathon show. I'll watch the first disc by the end of the week.

Mr E wrote: »
    I bought the box set last year (curse bargain alerts!) and its gathering dust. Haven't watched a single episode. I think this will be my next marathon show. I'll watch the first disc by the end of the week.

Part of me is slightly jealous of you, getting to experience it for the first time :o

(The rest of me is less insane, honest!)

Mr E wrote: »
    ...I'll watch the first disc by the end of the week.
    LOL
    Warning, it will suck you right in and not let you go till the end! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Just started it now, better be good.

I agree with the above, amazing television
    The previous episodes/storyline lead up to that scene and the next scenes itself, were one of the highlights of the entire series.
    Absolute brilliance and SOOO fitting the tune and atmosphere. Pure class.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,636 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Biggins wrote: »
    The previous episodes/storyline lead up to that scene and the next scenes itself, were one of the highlights of the entire series.
    Absolute brilliance and SOOO fitting the tune and atmosphere. Pure class.

I still get chills whenever i watch the ending of 2 Cathedrals(season 2 finale).
    By far the best series on tv, i am yet to find something that equals it and thats coming from another sci fi fandoy that worships firefly, doctor who etc....
    Watch it!!! The writing and characters are so fantastic that if you dont watch it or refuse to you arent a fan of good television in my books

VinLieger wrote: »
    I still get chills whenever i watch the ending of 2 Cathedrals(season 2 finale)....

Aye, still moves me, considering the reason for the Cathedral later in the president life.
    ...And the symbolism, some very strong words (LOL) and meaning of the later scene of a cleaner cleaning up, etc of a single cigarette butt...
    (Trying not to give anything away)
    VinLieger wrote: »
    ...The writing and characters are so fantastic that if you dont watch it or refuse to you arent a fan of good television in my books
    Dito.

I love this one too from Season Five

Pretty haunting.
    Lisa Gerrard is probably best know for her work on Gladiator with Ridley Scott

Another favourite was the nightclub scence and they played the Massive Attack-Angel tune

It's quite long, far longer then this clip. The music works great
    From Season 4

Goes without saying don't play them if you've not seen Season 4 or 5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

3 episodes in and I have to admit I'm not very impressed so far. Way top predictable and cheesy for my liking.

amacachi wrote: »
    3 episodes in and I have to admit I'm not very impressed so far. Way top predictable and cheesy for my liking.

They're just the 'getting to know the characters' episodes. Let it settle in.

Actually the one thing that really annoyed me about the pilot (and the couple of episodes after, I think) was the constant background music. It didn't fit at all. But they fixed that and all was good. There are probably other small things as well that they changed/fixed in the very beginning as well so give it a chance ;)

Yea, the music can be *correction* WAS great at times indeed but the writing... Excellent!
    Remember the lead up to the following scene and the BRILLIANT scene itself?
    (That is very much quoted the world over when people discuss the daftness of some things)

Rhetorical question. How can one forget!
    I miss it now, I'm getting sentimental.
    I might even dig out the boxset yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

IMO quite simply the best TV show ever made. I've watched the entire 7 season run about 4times at this stage and every time i finish i swear i could just go back to season 1 and re-watch it immediately.

Awesome entertainment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭the west wing

The West Wing?? I'm pretty indifferent towards it :D;)

Advertisement