Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moycullen N59 roadworks

Options
  • 18-03-2015 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

the delays on the n59 in the morning on the way to your 9am start at work or college are brutal ...

why they need to start before rushour morning traffic, as opposed to starting at 9am, is beyond me. well no - i suppose it's not. it's obviously cheaper that way directly. but indirectly, i wonder what all the late arrivals to work are costing the city ?

Comments

Leave earlier?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SameHorse

Leave earlier?

no **** einstein.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭what_traffic

SameHorse wrote: »
    the delays on the n59 in the morning on the way to your 9am start at work or college are brutal ...

why they need to start before rushour morning traffic, as opposed to starting at 9am, is beyond me. well no - i suppose it's not. it's obviously cheaper that way directly. but indirectly, i wonder what all the late arrivals to work are costing the city ?

The earlier they start the earlier they will finish the scheme? Or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SameHorse

The earlier they start the earlier they will finish the scheme? Or am I missing something?

evidently, yes. each day - start an hour later, finish an hour later - scheme still finishes at the same time. Hourish-long morning tailbacks avoided. or each day - start an hour later, finish at the same time - scheme finishes later, but hourish-long morning tailbacks have been avoided for the duration of the scheme, which is set to take approx 11 months. Better something takes approx 2 months longer with no obscene tailbacks every weekday morning. You won't find the people living beyond Moycullen complaining. but like I said to begin with, it's obviously cheaper to finish it 2 months sooner. I'm only wondering what the indirect, knock-on costs are owing to a work force and student demograph caught in that tailback every morning for the guts of a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommybojangles

Getting seriously done by this as well

• Advertisement

Should they have built the Moycullen bypass first?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

SameHorse wrote: »
    I'm only wondering what the indirect, knock-on costs are owing to a work force and student demograph caught in that tailback every morning for the guts of a year.
    I don't think your boss will allow you to be 20 mins late every day until roadworks are over. The workforce will adapt and change their driving schedule to arrive to work on time. I assume this goes for students too.

So the impact you wonder about will not be as high as you may think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Where exactly are these road works? Is it a stop/go system?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

snubbleste wrote: »
    Where exactly are these road works? Is it a stop/go system?

In Moycullen village itself, mainly on Galway side of crossroads.
    Yes there is a stop-go system (manual and automatic depending on traffic volumes) but it is gone in the evenings and weekends.
    It's not too bad once you know the routines and the workarounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Should they have built the Moycullen bypass first?

Surely a bypass would be a poorly thought out waste of resource. What moycullen needs is an integrated transport plan to include cycling, pedestrianisation and public transport such as light rail :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

zarquon wrote: »
    Surely a bypass would be a poorly thought out waste of resource. What moycullen needs is an integrated transport plan to include cycling, pedestrianisation and public transport such as light rail :rolleyes:

Light rail - that's a great idea for a small village. What would ya call it?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭stef22

got seriously tired of traffic and found the perfect solution , a motorbike !
    will never commute again by car .

Light rail - that's a great idea for a small village. What would ya call it?

MART :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,262 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

They start at 6.30am these days

When will those roadworks be finished?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭tphase

I heard they will stop temporarily on December 11th and resume in the new year

• Registered Users Posts: 25,669 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

They look far from complete the last time I passed through. I would estimate 2-3 months more.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Sean55

At night the haphazard and sloppy placement of cones, lack of illuminated directional arrows and absence of flashing markers is causing much increased risk. Time for whoever is supposed to monitor these contracts to take a bit of action.

http://galwaybayfm.ie/extra-monitoring-n59-roadworks-undertaken/

Advertisement