Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway United 2015 season - MOD Warning in Post #1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Great heart shown by the lads, fully deserved the win after going down to ten men early enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Galway WFC lost 1 0 to Wexford yesterday, decent effort against the top team in league, just missing the killer punch up front.

• Advertisement

Went down 2 nil to Cork last night, Longford at home Friday and its one to get 3 points out of hopefully...

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

I was at the Drogheda game and was impressed by Curran's goal, but it looks even better when watching it back on that video (above).

A result in Cork was always going to be a big ask, but as youngrun said, three points against Longford should be achievable if the team plays well.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Paddico

City played hoof ball night according to a friend of mine but GU were quite poor enough he also said.
    Hope you get the points against Longball FC on Friday

Paddico wrote: »
    City played hoof ball night according to a friend of mine but GU were quite poor enough he also said.
    Hope you get the points against Longball FC on Friday

Cork fan over in the soccer forum said we were unlucky to be beaten by two and had chances but lacked a final ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

3 red cards in 5 games is definitely not a recipe for success.

3 red cards in 5 games is definitely not a recipe for success.

Nor is an inability to defend set pieces.

Sickener conceding in last minute . 2 reds is not good to put it mildly. Cunningham looked good when on. Think we more depth in squad. going to be a tough season.

youngrun wrote: »
    Think we more depth in squad.

Having enough numbers is enough of a challenge, never mind depth. Only 5 subs travelled to Cork, because that was every played that was available.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Why do you keep posting links to Galway United FC? Anyone who follows them on twitter can see the posts there.
    We all need to click your links anyway to see what you refer to.

biko wrote: »
    Why do you keep posting links to Galway United FC? Anyone who follows them on twitter can see the posts there.
    We all need to click your links anyway to see what you refer to.

Are you not seeing the previews?

The match report from Tuesday and the match programme preview are the only recent ones that require clicking on to see what it's about.

Plenty of people have a passing interest or are not on twitter, or are on it, but aren't glued to it, like myself.

I wouldn't post the links if I didn't think people were seeing what was in them without clicking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

I think that only works on mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ah that clarifies it.
    You probably need to be on mobile and also logged into twitter.

biko wrote: »
    Ah that clarifies it.
    You probably need to be on mobile and also logged into twitter.

Weird, I was not on mobile an not logged into any twitter account. Might be browser specific or something.

Or it might be a feature of certain skins... I dunno really...

I think that only works on mobile.

I'm not on mobile Alessandro.

Either way, if people don't see it, there is no point in posting them. It was just an attempt to generate some debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭bobbyss

The match report from Tuesday and the match programme preview are the only recent ones that require clicking on to see what it's about.

Plenty of people have a passing interest or are not on twitter, or are on it, but aren't glued to it, like myself.

I wouldn't post the links if I didn't think people were seeing what was in them without clicking.

Thanks for posting. I am not on twitter (or any of that jazz) so it is appreciated. Just hope that the season is not going to go the same way as before. Friday evenings would be too depressing for that. Only saw a few clips and have not been to Deacey Park this season so far but from what I saw they seem like a bunch of U 19s. Why can't a Sheik give us a dollop and a five year plan with a view to conquering Europe. Or conquering Connaught for starters. (How dare Sligo come to Galway and push us around the place)

bobbyss wrote: »
    Only saw a few clips and have not been to Deacey Park this season so far but from what I saw they seem like a bunch of U 19s.

Absolutely not the case. They are more than competitive in the Premier Division, their discipline just isn't there yet.

v Bohs, nothing between the teams, two set pieces, 2-0 loss.

v Drogheda, early goal, were going well, referee was conned into sending off Oji early in the match. They still held on for the win and it could have been 2 or 3-0.

v Cork, they did nothing of note until they were gifted a goal from a corner 10 mins from HT. Their 2nd was another goal conceded from a corner.

v Longford, 3rd home game in a row United scored first. Going well, then Walsh was sent off on 25 mins. Not sure if warranted or not. Will wait for Soccer Republic. A goal from set pieces at the end of each half sank them.

If they were like a bunch of u19s Drogheda, Cork and Longford would have routed them. Look what Cork did to Limerick? Apart from the goal, there was not much in it in Cork.

Not to mention a 1/3 of the squad was missing for that game.

There is obviously a huge problem with defending set pieces, but if they manage to sort that out, they'll trouble anyone in the division.

There is obviously a huge problem with defending set pieces, but if they manage to sort that out, they'll trouble anyone in the division.

I hope you are right civis liberalis, I hope you are right. I also hope they get points as well as troubling anyone too. What is the average age of the teams sent out? They looked to me quite young. If they are very young this will inevitably tell against them. 'You can't win a league with youngsters you know'!!!

My heart gets heavy when I think that until November we will be looking at the bottom of the league, looking for other results to go our way. We have the third biggest city in the country and we have always been struggling. Why is that? What do the stats say about the average position of United since they joined the LOI way back? In the bottom three? I don't know. But it's not in the top three for sure. How can smaller places like Sligo, Drogheda, Dundalk be much better than us over the years. Waterford United in the good old days were kings of Ireland. We all crave United to do well. Wouldn't it be great if we were THE TEAM! Deacy Park a fortress!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭ratracer

have not been to Deacey Park this season so far but from what I saw they seem like a bunch of U 19s.
    Deacy Park a fortress!!
    :(

It's a bit hard to make Deacy Park a fortress if fans don't turn up!!

I would also agree with civis_liberalis that despite the results so far, it might not take too long to turn results around. Midfield and upfront United are ok. Jason Molloy can be quite good, but also quite lazy.

There are problems at the back that really need to be addressed though. By the end of the match on Friday night United looked like a tired team. The red cards really took a toll on the lads left on the field. Curran and Keegan had to change their game plan form early on, and holding onto a 1-0 lead with 10 men again was always going to be an uphill battle. Tony Cousins really used the width of the park to good effect after the sending off this week.

In both cases of the early red cards, the centre halfs were left in exposed positions because of the players overplaying the ball in midfield and losing possession, easy red card decision for the refs!! We have a 'keeper who stays rooted to his line, which doesn't help, and every time there is a setpiece against us, there is almost a sense of dread around the ground. But these can be worked on, hopefully sooner rather than later. I think our best hope for the season would be mid table and a decent Cup Run.

Hopefully the attendance at EDP will increase as the season progresses!

Come on United:o

What is the average age of the teams sent out? They looked to me quite young. If they are very young this will inevitably tell against them. 'You can't win a league with youngsters you know'!!!

Only 3 players would be eligible for the FAI u19 league (which GUFC are barred from), but the average age is still quite young. Around 22.5 years old. Only three players are over 25 and the oldest of them is 29.
    We have the third biggest city in the country and we have always been struggling. Why is that?
    How can smaller places like Sligo, Drogheda, Dundalk be much better than us over the years.

Football in Galway is hamstrung by people in power who put their own interests above all else.

We have Ruud Doktor, the FAI High Performance Director trying to sort Irish football out, preaching player development and player pathways etc, and Galway FC/United which the FAI orchestrated, is a team with no underage squad.

• Advertisement

Only 3 players would be eligible for the FAI u19 league (which GUFC are barred from), but the average age is still quite young. Around 22.5 years old. Only three players are over 25 and the oldest of them is 29.

With such a young squad we are doomed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement