Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair transplant diary (ongoing)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

I did a lot of research on it, Pete Davidson was tAking it. He said he could only have sex once a day but it saved his hair. Imagine that when you are going out with Ariana Grandia. Some get people get zero sides. Some get permanent sides after being on the drug or it can take years to recover from. I was very close to getting a prescription but decided it wasn’t worth it.
    I surprised they haven’t been able to reformulate it to. have less sides/risks.

not defending fin here but Davidson does admit to having mental health problems too which have an effect on sex life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭ Desmond Full Conduit

I'll be trying topical fin before I ever consider pills. With pills, data suggests microdosing as little as 0.05mg can be beneficial for hair loss with a smaller serum dht reduction

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

I'll be trying topical fin before I ever consider pills. With pills, data suggests microdosing as little as 0.05mg can be beneficial for hair loss with a smaller serum dht reduction

So how much is one pill? Is it 1 mg?

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭suave.4u

I was on genetic fin for 8 years. Recently moved to Proscar. From what I have read and from my experience, proscar is better than 1mg fin.
    Side effects include watery semen. Also I tried to stop it and for the first 3-4 days had trouble sleeping and had a mild headache. After that things were ok.
    Also on loniten now (5mg split into 4). Stopped using regaine foam/liquid and I feel loniten is better.
    Also use derma roller twice a week. It does atleast give an illusion of more bouncy hair.

So how much is one pill? Is it 1 mg?

Depends, in Ireland it is cheapest to buy Proscar which is a 5mg pill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭1922

Has anyone had any joy with micro needling lads?

Heard good things about it

1922 wrote: »
    Has anyone had any joy with micro needling lads?

Heard good things about it

I've been doing it weekly to a depth of 1.5mm for about 7-8 weeks. Overall I would say I haven't lost ground, and perhaps there are signs of improved density, but no overall gains to the hairline.

I would say it is a low-risk option which has shown promise when paired with minoxidil.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭mikeoc85

Hi guys, I posted in another group also, but this was actually the one I meant to post into. Just had the procedure done with a clinic in Istanbul. Just a small synopsis for anyone that’s on the fence, here’s an unbiased opinion.

Basically had been looking at this for a few years, had actually paid a small deposit with another clinic but from reading posts here and speaking to another friend I changed my mind last minute and booked somewhere else.

I’m not sure if this post will help anyone, but I had real anxiety before booking. Couldn’t make up my mind where to go ant the more I read the more confused I was, coming on boards and other forums helped a lot so thanks for that.

So anyway, I booked in with a place a few days ago and got out to them at the first available date because my head was wrecked just reading and thinking about it. Day of procedure I was picked up at 8am from hotel and brought to clinic. Had bloods taken and pictures taken and then consultation with the head doctor. He drew the line he thought was best and I went with it as it was close to what I wanted anyway. In hindsight I kind of wish I moved this down a milimeter or two but I also wanted it to be age appropriate. I asked about single hair follicles being used at the hairline and he assured me of course.

Then you meet the team and lie down to have the procedure done. First is the injections which is the most uncomfortable part of the procedure. After that they make the extractions and there were 3 other people working on these grafts as they were being extracted. I didn’t have a huge amount so afterwards I had a glass of water. At this point I asked how could they differentiate between single hair grafts and double and triples and they showed me, it looked like you could see the individual ones and the triples etc.

So then we started on the insertion, I went for DHI and it felt like it was a pen that was pumping my skull but I can’t be sure on this tbh. The whole procedure was pain free and the only uncomfort was the injections. After that I was ready to go. I had temples done and they had told me from photos it’d be 2000-2500 grafts but they ended up taking 2250.

It’s only been a few days but it was all much more straight forward than I thought, I’d probably compare it with going to the dentist for a long appointment. Everyone was friendly and helpful and the only concern I have at the moment is whether my hairline is what I’m happy with. I have attached my a photo below.

Let me know what you think guys, good or bad as I have personally found this group incredibly helpful. And anyone that has any questions, please let me know and I’ll answer asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭suave.4u

suave.4u wrote: »
    I was on genetic fin for 8 years. Recently moved to Proscar. From what I have read and from my experience, proscar is better than 1mg fin.
    Side effects include watery semen. Also I tried to stop it and for the first 3-4 days had trouble sleeping and had a mild headache. After that things were ok.
    Also on loniten now (5mg split into 4). Stopped using regaine foam/liquid and I feel loniten is better.
    Also use derma roller twice a week. It does atleast give an illusion of more bouncy hair.

one thing that I did not add was that at the rate I was going, I would have lost a lot more if I hadn't started fin. It has stabilized my hair loss for the last cuple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭HBC08

mikeoc85 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I posted in another group also, but this was actually the one I meant to post into. Just had the procedure done with a clinic in Istanbul. Just a small synopsis for anyone that’s on the fence, here’s an unbiased opinion.

Basically had been looking at this for a few years, had actually paid a small deposit with another clinic but from reading posts here and speaking to another friend I changed my mind last minute and booked somewhere else.

I’m not sure if this post will help anyone, but I had real anxiety before booking. Couldn’t make up my mind where to go ant the more I read the more confused I was, coming on boards and other forums helped a lot so thanks for that.

So anyway, I booked in with a place a few days ago and got out to them at the first available date because my head was wrecked just reading and thinking about it. Day of procedure I was picked up at 8am from hotel and brought to clinic. Had bloods taken and pictures taken and then consultation with the head doctor. He drew the line he thought was best and I went with it as it was close to what I wanted anyway. In hindsight I kind of wish I moved this down a milimeter or two but I also wanted it to be age appropriate. I asked about single hair follicles being used at the hairline and he assured me of course.

Then you meet the team and lie down to have the procedure done. First is the injections which is the most uncomfortable part of the procedure. After that they make the extractions and there were 3 other people working on these grafts as they were being extracted. I didn’t have a huge amount so afterwards I had a glass of water. At this point I asked how could they differentiate between single hair grafts and double and triples and they showed me, it looked like you could see the individual ones and the triples etc.

So then we started on the insertion, I went for DHI and it felt like it was a pen that was pumping my skull but I can’t be sure on this tbh. The whole procedure was pain free and the only uncomfort was the injections. After that I was ready to go. I had temples done and they had told me from photos it’d be 2000-2500 grafts but they ended up taking 2250.

It’s only been a few days but it was all much more straight forward than I thought, I’d probably compare it with going to the dentist for a long appointment. Everyone was friendly and helpful and the only concern I have at the moment is whether my hairline is what I’m happy with. I have attached my a photo below.

Let me know what you think guys, good or bad as I have personally found this group incredibly helpful. And anyone that has any questions, please let me know and I’ll answer asap.

Congrats,
    Who did you go with?

• Advertisement

HBC08 wrote: »
    Congrats,
    Who did you go with?

Thanks HBC08, not sure what it’ll turn out like, I went with Dr Cinik in Istanbul. I looked at the Athens clinic you went to based off your results but they were booked up, along with Bruno in Portugal. The reason I picked Dr Cinik in the end was because someone I know went there and had great results. I read a lot of your posts here and agree with you that you are minimising your risks by going to a surgeon only clinic. I would have done this but after buying a house, finances just wouldn’t allow anything above 5k.

I would say I’m very happy with everything regarding how the doner and recipient areas look thing now. The only thing I’m concerned about is my hairline. He drew mine on, I asked to go a little lower but he really didn’t want to, at the time I was nervous and there was so much to take in that I didn’t push back. I understand why, as too low may look unnatural but I’d have preferred a millimetre or two lower. Any idea what this will look like in 12 months?

I've seen some great jobs from Cinic.
    Was it Dr Cinic himself who did it?
    How much did you pay?

Thanks HBC08, not sure what it’ll turn out like, I went with Dr Cinik in Istanbul. I looked at the Athens clinic you went to based off your results but they were booked up, along with Bruno in Portugal. The reason I picked Dr Cinik in the end was because someone I know went there and had great results. I read a lot of your posts here and agree with you that you are minimising your risks by going to a surgeon only clinic. I would have done this but after buying a house, finances just wouldn’t allow anything above 5k.

I would say I’m very happy with everything regarding how the doner and recipient areas look thing now. The only thing I’m concerned about is my hairline. He drew mine on, I asked to go a little lower but he really didn’t want to, at the time I was nervous and there was so much to take in that I didn’t push back. I understand why, as too low may look unnatural but I’d have preferred a millimetre or two lower. Any idea what this will look like in 12 months?

IMO I often see results where they have brought it too low. Keeping it higher with greater density is better

IMO I often see results where they have brought it too low. Keeping it higher with greater density is better

Yea I agree, I suppose I’m 35 and it’s better for it to look natural. I kept the middle part and didn’t want to go lower than that, but would have liked to have gone a tiny bit lower in the temples. I can’t find any pictures online of people with that hairline though so it’s hard for me to imagine it

I've seen some great jobs from Cinic.
    Was it Dr Cinic himself who did it?
    How much did you pay?

No, I had initially requested him but then decided that the tech that was doing the extraction was also going to do the incesions with the dhi pen and if Cinik done it then it’d have to be fue. So I just went with the tech. To be fair, and I’m no expert, but if the tech has a few years experience and has been doing 4-5 a week then they’re going to be good unless it’s a complicated job. From what I could gather, Cinik sees you and then relays some info to the team. I’d assume if he seen you had a difficult hairline he may put a more experienced tech on you. All it would take is one or two botch jobs to surface with photos on the internet and his business would be ruined. I’ve seen the odd bad review about all clinics but it seems to be that it was a density thing or the hairline wasn’t exactly how they wanted, which obviously isn’t ideal but it’s not ruining your head either. Also in some of these cases I wonder how well they looked after their hair once they had it done. I’ve seen on forums people said they smoked straight after or wore baseball caps a few days later, obviously that’s not going to help. Again I’m not pro or anti turkey, if I could have afforded a reputable surgeon for 10k then I would have done it.

I paid €2500 for DHI and they quoted 200-2500 grafts but took 2250’which I was happy with. As little as possible was my preference.

No, I had initially requested him but then decided that the tech that was doing the extraction was also going to do the incesions with the dhi pen and if Cinik done it then it’d have to be fue. So I just went with the tech. To be fair, and I’m no expert, but if the tech has a few years experience and has been doing 4-5 a week then they’re going to be good unless it’s a complicated job. From what I could gather, Cinik sees you and then relays some info to the team. I’d assume if he seen you had a difficult hairline he may put a more experienced tech on you. All it would take is one or two botch jobs to surface with photos on the internet and his business would be ruined. I’ve seen the odd bad review about all clinics but it seems to be that it was a density thing or the hairline wasn’t exactly how they wanted, which obviously isn’t ideal but it’s not ruining your head either. Also in some of these cases I wonder how well they looked after their hair once they had it done. I’ve seen on forums people said they smoked straight after or wore baseball caps a few days later, obviously that’s not going to help. Again I’m not pro or anti turkey, if I could have afforded a reputable surgeon for 10k then I would have done it.

I paid €2500 for DHI and they quoted 200-2500 grafts but took 2250’which I was happy with. As little as possible was my preference.

I know a few Irish lads who went there and they all had good results.
    As regards the hairline its much better imo to go too high than too low,it's looks a good age appropriate hairline to me.
    Also many people feel it's a bit high in the days after surgery, once it grows in it'll look good.
    Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,499 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Interesting, I was getting the 5mg and having a nibble off it every morning aiming to take about a quarter each day. This time I have 1mg capsules and will be taking every 2nd day.Lots of evidence to show now that it's not nessesary to take 1 mg a day and the reduced dose reduces sides aswell.

1/4 of 1mg a day would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

Yeah I would rather get multiple transplants then take Finasteride, there are some potential serious effects with it, it definitely works for most though, it’s just a matter of risk/reward

But you could just try it for a month and see if you get the side effects, and if you do, get off?

:confused:

Hey pal

I had mine with Dr Cinik about 14 weeks ago, first week of August.

I also asked him to go lower. He pushed back and insisted it was low enough.

This is how it looks now - sorry the pic is so big. I am pleased and think he was probably right.
    Endpv27XYAApvAi?format=jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

Yea I agree, I suppose I’m 35 and it’s better for it to look natural. I kept the middle part and didn’t want to go lower than that, but would have liked to have gone a tiny bit lower in the temples. I can’t find any pictures online of people with that hairline though so it’s hard for me to imagine it

Have you heard of the rule of thirds? A key principle of facial proportion is based on the "golden proportion," a concept that has long been recognized in architecture and art. It states that a well proportioned face will be divided into equal thirds when horizontal lines are drawn through the forehead hairline, the brow, the base of the nose, and the edge of the chin.

A good surgeon will know this and should try to recreate that in your hairline. If you are curious to know whether you have good proportion you can take a selfie and then using an equal sized arrow insert three from the chin going upwards through the nose and to the hairline. That should give you peace of mind about your hairline if you so wish to do it.

• Advertisement

Monokne wrote: »
    Hey pal

This is how it looks now - sorry the pic is so big. I am pleased and think he was probably right.

Yours has come out so well. By any chance did it in any way resemble my new hairline when first done or was your straighter?

Have you heard of the rule of thirds? A key principle of facial proportion is based on the "golden proportion," a concept that has long been recognized in architecture and art. It states that a well proportioned face will be divided into equal thirds when horizontal lines are drawn through the forehead hairline, the brow, the base of the nose, and the edge of the chin.

A good surgeon will know this and should try to recreate that in your hairline. If you are curious to know whether you have good proportion you can take a selfie and then using an equal sized arrow insert three from the chin going upwards through the nose and to the hairline. That should give you peace of mind about your hairline if you so wish to do it.

I hadn’t but I’ll check that out. Thanks :) My concern wasn’t to lower the middle of my hairline but I would have liked it a little straighter to the temples. Maybe I’m being overly critical though

Hey pal

Yours has come out so well. By any chance did it in any way resemble my new hairline when first done or was your straighter?

Below are mine and yours, they look fairly similar.

Sorry for the massive pics guys!

EhLQluQWAAEK5VC?format=jpg
    533693.jpeg

Below are mine and yours, they look fairly similar.

Yeah they look very similar, it's hard to tell from the angle of yours. Do you have any from directly in front? I'd be very happy if I end up with your hairline, right now it's probably the only thing keeping me from beng completely happy with the whole procedure.

I'll check google photos and see.

EngLXpJXIAQAUkV?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Your first photo above, your hairline looks perfect, and it seems like he made your new hairline the exact same? It looks like he's given me the exact same as you...which is great as I'd be delighted with your hairline. Did you get bad swelling? my face has ballooned in the past two days.

I got my temples filled in - one side was further receded than the other. This is before the head was shaved and a pic of what it actually looked like before I got it done:
    EngS3FyXEAEI6IO?format=jpg&name=4096x4096
    EngS3F1XIAI4_N4?format=png&name=900x900

Ah ok, I can see what ya mean now, thats why there were strands but they weren't thick. In fairness it was very minimal but the results of yours so far look great.

• Advertisement

Yeah it wasn't that bad, I just wanted to move the hairline forward. I basically wanted the Jurgen Klopp job :D

Advertisement