Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

sheds manufacturer recommendations / advice

• 06-04-2011 10:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭

can anyone recommend a shed manufacturer, was thinking of pricing something like a 3 bay leanto type shed, not slatted just something for machinery and maybe a dry pen for cattle, what kinda money would it be just to purchase steel and cladding without having it erected?? was initially thinking of adding extra column onto old hayshed and leanto but i wonder would it be as well to start over, would you have to get planning for a shed like this. I see loads of lads advertising sheds on donedeal but its hard to trust these lads when you dont know them..
    here is an image of something like what i was thinking
    http://www.donedeal.ie/donedeal/classifieds/viewFullPhoto.jsp?cid=3398507&ad=1402660
    also can anyone with these type of sheds, are they suitable for machinery or does alot of rain still blow in the front?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Hi Vander,

I built a 3 bay x 2 bay shed this year, so 45 x 30, which is prob a bit wider than what you want. Its not an A frame design, I guess its a 'leanto' type design? As in 15' high one side, 12' at the back. Two of the (ten) bays are open. They have sheeting down to about 10' I think and then gates closing em.
    The other eight bays have mass concrete walls 5' high, and then sheeting down to meet it. It just has a gravel floor.

I bought all the bits and pieces seperate - and then a neighbour put it up.

I'll have a look tonight at the various receipts, and will send em onto you. If they're any use to you, they might not be...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Hi Vander,

I built a 3 bay x 2 bay shed this year, so 45 x 30, which is prob a bit wider than what you want. Its not an A frame design, I guess its a 'leanto' type design? As in 15' high one side, 12' at the back. Two of the (ten) bays are open. They have sheeting down to about 10' I think and then gates closing em.
    The other eight bays have mass concrete walls 5' high, and then sheeting down to meet it. It just has a gravel floor.

I bought all the bits and pieces seperate - and then a neighbour put it up.

I'll have a look tonight at the various receipts, and will send em onto you. If they're any use to you, they might not be...
    sound thanks, did you have the steel galvanised by the way? ya im kinda open to suggestions but looking for a kinda cost efficient solution, the toruble with adding on hayshed and leanto extra column is that the rest of the shed will need reroofing in a few years time anyway..priced sheeting for the extra column last year and i think it was in or about 3 grand so not too cheap either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭towzer2010

Hi Vander

I'm in the process of putting up a shed like that one. Its three bay (47 x 25) and I bought it in kit form last year and that included everything down to the nails for the sheeting. Only getting round to putting it up now. I didnt get it galvanised because it will be mainly used for turf and machinery. It cost me 5300 incl vat but they wanted 1500 to put it up so I've got a local handy man to help me instead. We just put in the pads yesterday.

Dont know yet if a lot of rain will blow in the front but I hope not. I didnt go for planning permission because I think I'm exempt. According to the County Council website the following buildings are exempt.

"Buildings and Structures
    The provision of the following types of agricultural buildings and structures
    is exempted development:

Type 1
    A roofed structure housing cattle, sheep, donkeys, horses, deer or rabbits,
    provided that its floor area does not exceed 200 square metres and that the
    total floor area of all Type 1 structures within the farmyard complex (or 100
    metres of it) does not exceed 300 square metres;

Type 4
    A store, barn, shed, glasshouse etc. not exceeding 300 square metres in floor
    area and not used for housing animals or storing effluent provided that the
    total floor area of all Type 3 structures within the farmyard complex (or 100
    metres of it) does not exceed 900 square metres; "

towzer2010 wrote: »
    Hi Vander

I'm in the process of putting up a shed like that one. Its three bay (47 x 25) and I bought it in kit form last year and that included everything down to the nails for the sheeting. Only getting round to putting it up now. I didnt get it galvanised because it will be mainly used for turf and machinery. It cost me 5300 incl vat but they wanted 1500 to put it up so I've got a local handy man to help me instead. We just put in the pads yesterday.

Dont know yet if a lot of rain will blow in the front but I hope not. I didnt go for planning permission because I think I'm exempt. According to the County Council website the following buildings are exempt.

"Buildings and Structures
    The provision of the following types of agricultural buildings and structures
    is exempted development:

Type 1
    A roofed structure housing cattle, sheep, donkeys, horses, deer or rabbits,
    provided that its floor area does not exceed 200 square metres and that the
    total floor area of all Type 1 structures within the farmyard complex (or 100
    metres of it) does not exceed 300 square metres;

Type 4
    A store, barn, shed, glasshouse etc. not exceeding 300 square metres in floor
    area and not used for housing animals or storing effluent provided that the
    total floor area of all Type 3 structures within the farmyard complex (or 100
    metres of it) does not exceed 900 square metres; "

thanks towser
    do you mind me asking who you bought off?
    when you say you put in the pads do you mean the bases for the pillars?

sound thanks, did you have the steel galvanised by the way? ya im kinda open to suggestions but looking for a kinda cost efficient solution, the toruble with adding on hayshed and leanto extra column is that the rest of the shed will need reroofing in a few years time anyway..priced sheeting for the extra column last year and i think it was in or about 3 grand so not too cheap either

No galvanise - I used railway tracks, not the H iron rails.
    The shed is mainly for hay / straw / feed / general rubbish. The sheep are in there for maybe 4 - 6 weeks when lambing, thats it. So it doesnt have to put up with much muck or abuse really.
    The sheeting for the shed cost me 3400euro. Cant remember the spec, it wasnt the cheapest stuff, it was dept. spec sheeting as far as I remember.

• Advertisement

towzer2010 wrote: »
    Hi Vander

Just looking at some figures I have here in excel (good ould excel) And its looking like a grand more than what you have there Towzer :(

My costs are
    Railway rails 1300
    Timber 1200
    Misc items 400
    Sheeting 3400

That comes to 6300, plus

Ready mix 1000
    Electrical 1100

So thats 8400 for the shed itself.

thanks towser
    do you mind me asking who you bought off?
    when you say you put in the pads do you mean the bases for the pillars?

Hi Vander

I got it off a crowd called S & M Sweeney. They are based in Crossmolina in Mayo. I dont have the main number but they are listed in the golden pages. They were advertising in the Farming Indo at the time and they were cheaper than everyone else I tried (one in offaly, one in leitrim and one in roscommon). Cant complain about the quality of the stuff because it looks great so far. We'll see when it goes up I suppose.

I do mean the bases for the pillars. I'd say pads are the wrong word but the man who was doing it for me kept calling them that and I picked it up.

thanks lads
    its not bad though to have a shed up and finished for that John, when towzer has electrics etc there probably wont be much between them cost wise, towser is your one a straight leanto like johns or has it that kinda canopy at the front?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Would you not be better off going for a standard H RSJ rather than killing your self with old railway lines?

the canopy that was used on a lot of the "lean to" buildings are not really mush use depending on your location and the direction of the wind. A lot of rain can blow in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Would you not be better off going for a standard H RSJ rather than killing your self with old railway lines?

the canopy that was used on a lot of the "lean to" buildings are not really mush use depending on your location and the direction of the wind. A lot of rain can blow in.

I've seen sheds standing for over 100 years on railway girders and the girders are as good as they day that they were put up.

I've seen sheds standing on H girders for less than 25 years and guys have had to build up a concrete base around the girder because it has rusted through.

Railway girders will last longer then the shed itself.

• Advertisement

We have a few sheds in my home place built in the 70s, that were built with railway lines, and they're still good. Like Reilg said, I have seen a few newer sheds that used the H iron, and they looked worse.

I got a few prices, off a few lads, and they provided breakdowns. And there wasnt that much in the difference between H iron and the railway lines as far as I can remember. Not enough to make me think about using em anyways... But I'd have to check again to see whatthe difference was.

As for killing myself - I got someone to put it up, so it didnt affect me at all. And he said I should get the railway lines too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

reilig wrote: »
    I've seen sheds standing for over 100 years

God you must be getting on a bit. Time for you to retire :D

thanks lads
    its not bad though to have a shed up and finished for that John, when towzer has electrics etc there probably wont be much between them cost wise, towser is your one a straight leanto like johns or has it that kinda canopy at the front?

It has a 6 foot canopy on the front like the photo you put up earlier.

Username_john if I have it all finished with concrete around it and walls built up to the sheeting for the same as you I'd be fairly happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Yep, we have a shed that's over 40 years old, made from railway girders. Still perfect. Thers's just so much metal there that, even when it rusts, the rust provides a protective layer.
    The reason they weren't allowed on dept spec buildings under the Nitrates Directive is that there is no control over the quality of them. To allow them, the dept would have had to inspect them each individually to give approval.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Figerty

Gvie Coley Rock in Gort a call,, Did a shed for me, Can only speak highly of him.

Figerty wrote: »
    Gvie Coley Rock in Gort a call,, Did a shed for me, Can only speak highly of him.

thanks Figerty
    did he erect it for you as well or just supply
    these lads advertise in journal alot whether they are any good, like the look of this shed though
    http://www.dunvale.ie/index.php?p=1_13

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Maybe a few of us could get together, go to Dublin with a truck and 'lift' a few luas rails! My grandad built a shed with tram tracks from Dublin, one of them has a date 1896 on it.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

these lads advertise in journal alot whether they are any good, like the look of this shed though

I know this chap for over 20 years. We bought plenty of stuff off him over the years. He knows what he's at.
    If you want to PM me you're more than welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I've seen sheds standing for over 100 years on railway girders and the girders are as good as they day that they were put up.

I've seen sheds standing on H girders for less than 25 years and guys have had to build up a concrete base around the girder because it has rusted through.

I know I have haysheds up for 50 years with railway lines I was referring more to using them as roof beams as opposed to uprights.

Welding them is also a pain in the hole... :)

lads got a rough price from one gang for a 60x30 shed, roughly 8 grand, thats non galvanised with .55mm cladding which is light enough
    erection would be extra 2 grand
    galvanising would be extra 2500
    two doors either end would be 1000

what do ye reckon, its abit dear is it? thought the galvanising was a good bit extra as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

lads got a rough price from one gang for a 60x30 shed, roughly 8 grand, thats non galvanised with .55mm cladding which is light enough
    erection would be extra 2 grand
    galvanising would be extra 2500
    two doors either end would be 1000

what do ye reckon, its abit dear is it? thought the galvanising was a good bit extra as well

Vander. I'm afraid I cant offer much advice only that I wouldnt bother getting the RSJ's galvanised. Treat them with primer and protection at the butt of the concrete. This is where they will rot first. I was told to do this by the local builder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Vander. I'm afraid I cant offer much advice only that I wouldnt bother getting the RSJ's galvanised. Treat them with primer and protection at the butt of the concrete. This is where they will rot first. I was told to do this by the local builder.

If you are within 10 miles of the sea, you definitely need galv.
    I'm 3 miles in from shore. 22 year old shed without galv is now fairly eaten with rust. Tops of uprights and outside ends of roof beams.

RobinBanks wrote: »

ya its tempting because of the price but you can see the sea from my place and its hard to keep the rust away so hard to know

Tora Bora wrote: »
    If you are within 10 miles of the sea, you definitely need galv.
    I'm 3 miles in from shore. 22 year old shed without galv is now fairly eaten with rust. Tops of uprights and outside ends of roof beams.

yep thats the trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Dupont

steel fab (i think thats the name) in brookeboragh in fermanagh. seen a shed they done for a mechanic,it was top class work was 80X60 he said they stood all the steel uprights and truses and braces in 2 hours,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Steel-framed-building-barn-workshop-garage-/260765272797?pt=UK_BOI_Containers_Pre_Fab_Buildings_ET&hash=item3cb6d24add

wonder would this be a cheap way of doing it, heaps of uk manufacturers selling on ebay, willing to ship over and galvanise, you would need to get cladding yourself here

He both suppled and erected and left a first class job. I can't speak highly enough. He gave me a price and stuck to it and did it to grant spec.

Essentially I got the steel shed erected and roofed along with one sliding door included.

Again, I can only say he was first class.

thanks Figerty
    did he erect it for you as well or just supply

You need galvanise and need it erected with out the base steel being exposed with only the minimal drilling or grinding done. Cutting short on the price now will leave you short on the life of the shed in the long run.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Steel-framed-building-barn-workshop-garage-/260765272797?pt=UK_BOI_Containers_Pre_Fab_Buildings_ET&hash=item3cb6d24add

wonder would this be a cheap way of doing it, heaps of uk manufacturers selling on ebay, willing to ship over and galvanise, you would need to get cladding yourself here

Figerty wrote: »
    He both suppled and erected and left a first class job. I can't speak highly enough. He gave me a price and stuck to it and did it to grant spec.

Essentially I got the steel shed erected and roofed along with one sliding door included.

Again, I can only say he was first class.

ya rang him..he was to call...about 2 weeks ago :rolleyes:
    will give him another shout and see whatt he story is next week maybe

• Advertisement
Advertisement