Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

According to Nick L, this month's ECM seasonal update shows an easterly December, an anticyclonic January whilst a positive NAO February. Would be decent if it were to verify I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Artane2002

sryanbruen wrote: »
    According to Nick L, this month's ECM seasonal update shows an easterly December, an anticyclonic January whilst a positive NAO February. Would be decent if it were to verify I have to say.

3 more days until we can see them, hopefully December looks as juicy as it sounds. These are his current thoughts for winter
    Anyway, I'm giving a presentation tomorrow on a winter forecast so here goes. Front-ended cold winter with a largely blocked pattern through December and January, mild more likely going into Feb. Negative QBO is transitioning into a positive one through winter which isn't good for cold, but we are now at the very bottom of the solar cycle which plays very much into our favour for a colder winter. ECMWF seasonal* supports this, but then again the UKMO and CFS do not..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

How accurate was the ECM seasonal last year in comparison to the CFS?
    If that is the Nick L, i think it is, he is one of the better contributers on netweather, he is not prone to hyperbole, or letting personal preference get in the way- which often leads to a lot of hopecasting rather than forecasting over on netweather.

How accurate was the ECM seasonal last year in comparison to the CFS?
    If that is the Nick L, i think it is is, he is one of the better contributers on netweather, he is not porone to hyperbole, or letting personal reference get in the way- which often leads to a lot of hopecasting rather than forecasting over on netweather.

In its November update, it was near perfect for a long range forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

In its November update, it was near perfect for a long range forecast.

Good stuff. By the way was the QBO in 2010 similar to what it is now- esaterly but projected to go westerly during winter. Also isn't there a lag effect to consider before it transitions from one state to the other?

• Advertisement

From my own interpretations of the ECM tri-monthly MSLP anomalies:

October update of the ECM seasonal model for Nov-Jan and Dec-Feb show a lot of easterly potential but the high is slightly anchored over towards eastern Europe than directly over Scandinavia, this could be quite problematic and easterly winds just missing the UK and Ireland.

Z10UXia.png

CdxkrRY.png

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Mount Vesuvius

Umm potential battleground scenarios there. Fingers crossed.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Username kinda checks out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Loughc wrote: »
    Username kinda checks out.

Ah now, two of these on the one page! *Importing new sence of humour*

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Ah now, two of these on the one page! *Importing new sence of humour*

*sense :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I normally don't like battle ground scenarios , due to the fact we are always looking across the sea at Brittan wining the battle,and us looking out the window at pouring rain

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

ZX7R wrote: »
    I normally don't like battle ground scenarios , due to the fact we are always looking across the sea at Brittan wining the battle,and us looking out the window at pouring rain

Did we not have a famous win in 1982?

ECM seasonal model monthly charts are out publicly now, they're exactly what others have been saying, very easterly December, anticyclonic January whilst westerly/unsettled February. November also looks like there's some easterly or northerly potential. Looks a lot like Winter 1996-97 to me.

November:

42QudbY.png

December:

wRMn3x8.png

January:

20jUUqr.png

February:

S6jS2p5.png

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Mount Vesuvius

I'd prefer the January set up, as the Scandinavian high anomaly is better positioned for us to ward off high attacking westerlies. ie better chance of slider lows.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I remember a few years ago everyone went nuts over the OPI (October Pattern Index) as an indicator of the upcoming winter; haven't heard much about it in recent years so I'm assuming the correlation there turned out to be a bust and therefore not useful to us?

I remember a few years ago everyone went nuts over the OPI (October Pattern Index) as an indicator of the upcoming winter; haven't heard much about it in recent years so I'm assuming the correlation there turned out to be a bust and therefore not useful to us?

They still are going nuts over it on Netweather.

The OPI for October 2014 was the second most negative on record so brought a lot of hype for Winter 2014-15 in the possibility of a very negative AO thus increasing the chances quite highly of a cold Winter. That wasn't what happened in the end, though not as stormy as its predecessor, 2014-15 was another stormy and zonal Winter (if a little on the chilly side for a zonal dominated Winter). That's the history that I know anyway of it. I wasn't here the days when it was being discussed. I tried estimating the OPI last year for my Winter methodology tables and forecasting 2017-18 because I thought it was a good methodology despite the 2014-15 failure.

Here's the graph of the OPI and Central England Temperature relationship for interest.

GWp55X1.jpg

Here's a tweet I found in relation to the AO.

https://twitter.com/longrangesnow/status/1050723650536538112

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Did we not have a famous win in 1982?

Yes, but I have been waiting 36 years for another...

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

MT Cranium's initial thoughts for Ireland's Winter 2018/2019 look promising for cold and snow fans, these thoughts were posted this morning on his daily outlook thread.............................:)

D

I have been working on a winter outlook. Early indications suggest it could be quite a cold winter but I think it would be prudent to set late November as a check-in time for any later revisions and a better idea of the details. This will give me a chance to check some developing guidelines for what I suspect may be developing. In any case, I don't expect this colder regime to make much of a showing before late November at the earliest. So the best way to put this is, potential for a cold winter, waiting to see if trends develop as expected that will give better confidence in that rather unusual outlook (unusual for me anyway, I guess it is the annual event for the tabloids).

• Advertisement

MT Cranium's initial thoughts for Ireland's Winter 2018/2019 look promising for cold and snow fans, these thoughts were posted this morning on his daily outlook thread.............................:)

D

I have been working on a winter outlook. Early indications suggest it could be quite a cold winter but I think it would be prudent to set late November as a check-in time for any later revisions and a better idea of the details. This will give me a chance to check some developing guidelines for what I suspect may be developing. In any case, I don't expect this colder regime to make much of a showing before late November at the earliest. So the best way to put this is, potential for a cold winter, waiting to see if trends develop as expected that will give better confidence in that rather unusual outlook (unusual for me anyway, I guess it is the annual event for the tabloids).

derekon wrote: »

D

He posted the full early thoughts on Netweather and man, that is one heck of an intriguing forecast.

He posted the full early thoughts on Netweather and man, that is one heck of an intriguing forecast.

Thanks Sryanbruen, i will check it out! Folks, he goes under the name Roger J Smith over there on Netweather!

D

Hi Sryanbruen, would you have a link to his early thoughts ? I cannot find it on the Netweather forum !

Thanks

D

Hi Sryanbruen, would you have a link to his early thoughts ? I cannot find it on the Netweather forum !

Thanks

D

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/72635-the-seasonal-forecast-thread/?do=findComment&comment=3911916

It is a delicious outlook :D

The most interesting part I found personally was:
    Parts of eastern Canada may be unusually mild with the storm track tending to run north from near Cape Cod into eastern Quebec province.

A very mild eastern Canada could be excellent news for cold in Europe. For one example, notice the very warm area over eastern and northern Canada in November 2010 below (which is likely what people on here were referring to last year when they said "Canadian Warming"?).

6REVVg0.png

Artane2002 wrote: »
    It is a delicious outlook :D

I would say its a VERY delicious outlook!! :D MT is usually very accurate and it would appear we are in for a far from boring winter if his forecast verifies!!

D

• Advertisement

I would say its a VERY delicious outlook!! :D MT is usually very accurate and it would appear we are in for a far from boring winter if his forecast verifies!!

D

I decided to reread his winter outlook from last year and I was amazed by how accurate it was considering it was a long range forecast. He nailed the January stormy periods that he predicted, which is the part I found the most amazing because he gave exact dates from 2 months out! I'm going to take a look at more of his winter LRFs.

Advertisement