Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Dull as ditch water again down the road
    JCX BXC wrote: »
    You realise it's the 5th of January right?

Some of the stages that people go through here with model watching are akin to bereavement!

Aye
    FI hasn't changed validity just because of a strat warm
    If anything it's got worse
    UK met were getting some flack for mentioning an albeit weak Atlantic spell late next week
    Yet it's appearing
    They seem to be solely basing their end of month and February cold spell on the strat and aren't budging,so let's see?
    They're the qualified experienced professional's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Artane2002

It's sunny, I can't believe it, must be a miracle.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 boiledkitten

I would have considered that they were professional as well, but that was before the whole Brexit farce.

British MO looking as mad as the rest of the empire at the moment.😉

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Dull as ditch water again down the road

Aye
    FI hasn't changed validity just because of a strat warm
    If anything it's got worse
    UK met were getting some flack for mentioning an albeit weak Atlantic spell late next week
    Yet it's appearing
    They seem to be solely basing their end of month and February cold spell on the strat and aren't budging,so let's see?
    They're the qualified experienced professional's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Artane2002 wrote: »
    It's sunny, I can't believe it, must be a miracle.

Back to cloudy again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Was sunny for a while this morning but that didn't last long. Back to cloudy conditions again. The winter of never ending cloud so far anyway. The first half of this winter for some places at least must be near record for lack of sunshine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Billcarson wrote: »
    Was sunny for a while this morning but that didn't last long. Back to cloudy conditions again. The winter of never ending cloud so far anyway. The first half of this winter for some places at least must be near record for lack of sunshine.

More stats to come sometime in the stats thread.
    sryanbruen wrote: »
    It's ironic how Cork Airport was the sunniest synoptic station in December 2018 with 35.2 hrs of sunshine whilst Belmullet was the dullest with 11.6 hrs of sunshine. The latter made it not only its dullest December on record (back to 1956) but also its dullest month on record beating the previous record of 15.0 hrs back in December 1993.

Cork Airport's dullest Decembers:

1. 1991 - 17.9 hrs
    2. 1977 - 19.8 hrs
    3. 1987 - 20.5 hrs
    4. 2015 - 24.3 hrs
    5. 1989 - 29.8 hrs

Belmullet's dullest months:

1. Dec 2018 - 11.6 hrs
    2. Dec 1993 - 15.0 hrs
    3. Dec 1974 - 15.8 hrs
    4. Jan 1981 - 16.7 hrs
    5. Dec 1999 - 17.7 hrs

Data comes from Met Éireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

As a lay person my overall feedback from the recent posts on here is that the much discussed SW event will not result in a decent cold spell for Ireland. It appears most of January is going to continue as day after day of this cool cloudy calm weather. I'll drop in here around mid month to see what's happening but until then, no point. The weather is so boring for the next ten days at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

As a lay person my overall feedback from the recent posts on here is that the much discussed SW event will not result in a decent cold spell for Ireland. It appears most of January is going to continue as day after day of this cool cloudy calm weather. I'll drop in here around mid month to see what's happening but until then, no point. The weather is so boring for the next ten days at least.

It’s still early days as to see the effects from the ssw and the early signs looks good, slow but going in the right direction. If the charts keep going the way they are I’d be very happy and excited for a decent cold snap and already there’s a chance for snowfall around the 14th to the 20th if the charts are correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Zero sun down here again.

Just looking at waterfordcityweather and the solar radiation chart is on the floor! No wonder I'm feeling Nordic Noir.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

sryanbruen wrote: »
    More stats to come sometime in the stats thread.

Early days in the month yet but Cork Airport, or any other Cork station for that matter, must be on course for record low monthly sunshine hours.
    Is the Dec 1991 record low total amount that you previously posted the all time low or just for that month?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Early days in the month yet but Cork Airport, or any other Cork station for that matter, must be on course for record low monthly sunshine hours.

Cork Airport's top 10 dullest months on record (not just December):

1. Dec 1991; 17.9 hrs
    2. Dec 1977; 19.8 hrs
    3. Dec 1987; 20.5 hrs
    4. Feb 1985; 21.9 hrs
    5. Nov 1983; 23.9 hrs
    6. Jan 1992; 24.0 hrs
    7. Dec 2015; 24.3 hrs
    8. Nov 1968; 25.3 hrs
    9. Jan 1966; 26.5 hrs
    10. Jan 1968; 27.4 hrs

In the past 27 days (Dec 10th to Jan 4th), Cork Airport has recorded 16.2 hrs of sunshine (including 19 dull days and 14 consecutive dull days up to January 4th) which is just below that of December 1991 as shown above.

Data comes from Met Éireann.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a real nip in the air this evening. feels much cooler than what it is, currently 7C.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Whats going on in Carlow?

20c at 5pm
    19c at 6pm

Very strong warm sector!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Danno wrote: »
    Whats going on in Carlow?

20c at 5pm
    19c at 6pm

Very strong warm sector!!!

believe its a faulty sensor I read on carlow weather twitter.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

believe its a faulty sensor I read on carlow weather twitter.

Either that or the gates to hell have opened there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Greece is having an incredibly cold winter. Parts of northern Greece are currently a crazy -16C. temps in many southern areas of Greece also subzero away from the coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Gonzo wrote: »
    Greece is having an incredibly cold winter. Parts of northern Greece are currently a crazy -16C. temps in many southern areas of Greece also subzero away from the coast.

We can write off this SSW so. Anytime Greece, Turkey, Syria, Egypt and North Africa etc get cold and snow we have a mild Winter. ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Defaulter1831

Calibos wrote: »
    We can write off this SSW so. Anytime Greece, Turkey, Syria, Egypt and North Africa etc get cold and snow we have a mild Winter. ;):D

I've often felt that to be the case too.

I might ask other posters, especially Sryan who is into stats, are there many examples of winters where there was intense cold is southern Europe etc early January and we still ended up with a significant cold spell before 1st March?

I know Sryan you are studying for the LC so don't worry about replies, MT would be a stats expert also.

I generally remember cold south-eastern European winters to be mild winters here. These winters are more common than people realize. Parts of Greece sees heavy snow more regularly than some parts of Ireland.

The island of Corfu received some snow fall over past few days too, a very rare event for that island.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Defaulter1831

Gonzo wrote: »
    I generally remember cold south-eastern European winters to be mild winters here. These winters are more common than people realize. Parts of Greece sees heavy snow more regularly than some parts of Ireland.

The island of Corfu received some snow fall over past few days too, a very rare event for that island.

Agree Gonzo. Attached to the continent and all they need is a northerly/nort westerly/northeasterly/easterly to tap into extreme cold air.

I always think of the Spartans with their babies out on cold mountain tops:D 2 Greeces, see more extremes than we ever do.

• Advertisement

-18C now in northern Greece, has to be a record!, meanwhile parts of western Ireland are 11C.

Tonights -18C in Greece isn't even close to their cold temperature record which currently stands at −27.8 °C.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

A rain-splashed night and squally west mayo offshore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Windy and raw is seen as better than mild and calm according to some here......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Wow the amount of SNOW the last few days around the Alps , Italy and Greece with more on the way.

This twitter account is great for updates
    https://twitter.com/severeweatherEU

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Another really calm day in Dublin.
    Even a bit of sun.
    The calmest stretch of Winter weather I can remember for a long time
    The Winter that keeps on giving.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

I agree. Mild and calm much better if we are not due to be getting any snow and proper cold. Cold and wet from the W and NW can do one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

Another miserable cloudy day

There are no mountains any more, no land. Just dark thick cloud smothering all..... the rain that insists on dripping on your head at the door is an icy shock. It is beginning, this slow winter of ours , sliding towards ice. Tipping towards torrential deluges. It is beginning. West Mayo offshore island

deep breath as we plunge towards wild winter. shivers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Groundhog day. Day after day the same thing. This Winter so far has been a weather enthusiasts nightmare. Although has been interesting following the development's in the strat.

Advertisement