Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

locks ?

• 09-03-2005 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    I've just layed my grubby paws on a Specialized Rockhopper 04, for the bargain price of 500 squid. I'm terrified that it's going to be nicked. I cycle from home to college. Home is fairly safe, it's locked in a closet, with two locks on the door. College is not quite as safe.

From googling around, people seem to recommend using two locks. A U-Lock and cable lock. They also make the point that if a thief really wants your bike, they'll be able to get it. Bastards. I'll also look into insurance for the bike.

So what do people do to secure their bikes ? what sort of locks are decent, I don't want one of these ones vulnerable to a Bic pen attack ! Are the locks used on motorbikes a practical option ?

Cheers,
    Gav

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Hi Verb,
    there's been some discussion on bike locks before. Check out these threads, they might give you some pointers.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=177395

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=188451

However, I'd never leave a bike like that locked in a college! Tonnes of bikes go missing from colleges all the time. I have a high end bike and the only place I leave it unattended is in the business park I work in, which has very good security.

KR

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

Verb wrote:
    I don't want one of these ones vulnerable to a Bic pen attack !

Dont look at the Argos catalog then.
    Those Mega locks are good - the yellow and balck cable ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jman0

Verb wrote:
    Hey,
    I've just layed my grubby paws on a Specialized Rockhopper 04, for the bargain price of 500 squid. I'm terrified that it's going to be nicked. I cycle from home to college. Home is fairly safe, it's locked in a closet, with two locks on the door. College is not quite as safe.
    From googling around, people seem to recommend using two locks. A U-Lock and cable lock. They also make the point that if a thief really wants your bike, they'll be able to get it. Bastards. I'll also look into insurance for the bike.
    So what do people do to secure their bikes ? what sort of locks are decent, I don't want one of these ones vulnerable to a Bic pen attack ! Are the locks used on motorbikes a practical option ?
    Cheers,
    Gav

Well, i've learned my lesson:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=223219
    Today i cycle a sh!tty bike, it's just not worth trusting anything of value to me with the general public.
    Insofar as i understand things, you don't need a "bike lock" and infact, it can be argued that such products are just a case of marketing.
    I started a thread on the matter here: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=76598
    Check out the post by "mrdy"
    Seems that the most secure way of securing your bike would be to find some site to buy hardened steel chain of a certain grade then get one of those locks pictured.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Thanks for all those. It looks like I'll be heading into a Locksmiths instead of a bike shop to get a decent chain and lock.

What about camouflaging the bike a wee bit ? I'll probably use electric tape to cover up the decals on the bike, and get it good and muddy. Anyone got any other tips and tricks for making a bike look like ****, without damaging it ?

Gav

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

Take the front wheel off and either take it with you, or lock it seperately somewhere else.

• Advertisement

Nice one, that's doable alright. I can store it in my cubical ! Anyone know where abus locks are sold ?

Cheers
    Gav

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭Alkers

If that has discs you could look into some motorcycle disc locks but I'm not sure how good they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Gav, take some old tubes, slit them along the length, and wrap and tape them to the frame. They do make a bike look really crap & even protect the paintwork, but the downside is weight & that smarter thieves may investigate.

I'd go with one of the new Kryptonite U locks (flat-key version), and a heavy duty cable lock or chain lock.

At the moment I'm waiting for my replacement UPS label to send my current Krypto back to them for replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jman0

googling Boron Alloy chain and looking for uk websites:
    http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/
    They claim this one has a rating of 90 (which would make it harder than a bolt cutters)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,475 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I've just layed my grubby paws on a Specialized Rockhopper 04, for the bargain price of 500 squid.
    Good bike. I have a 2000 Rockhopper, quite happy with it. I changed the tyres to 26x1.3 Continental Sport Contact slicks - very fast.

There is a lock shop on North Frederick St (beside Parnell Sq) which might be able to recommend something. They have house door locks where they are the only ones who can cut keys so should have good bike locks. Only downside is the quality of the lock is proportional to its weight.
    The Rockhopper is relativly light until you add mudguards, lights and locks live I've done.

House insurance can be a pain. Many companies have pathetically low restrictions on the max value of a bike that they'll cover. (I think) I'm with Royal Sun Alliance via Coyle Hamilton brokers.

Enjoy the bike.

• Advertisement

I decided to get a chain and padlock. So got off luas at stephens green and started on the trek up to parnell sq to the locksmith there. Having been boosing the night before and not eaten at all, I was not excited about going all the way up to the top of Nth frederick st. So I swung into the Great Outdoors to see if I could save myself a walk.

And lo and behold, they had the very lock & chain I was looking for ! Couldn't believe my luck. http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=29338
    Costs 80 quid sterling on there and they usually have good prices. It was 90 euro in the Great Outdoors though ! Fantastic.

They have a pretty good bicycle accessory section in there. Whilst there I picked up gloves, pump, patch kit and a decent rear cateye light. Ended up going on down to cycleways anyway to get some semi slick tyres (after I had eaten) and their selection of serious locks was pants.

A good days shop, all in all. I'm ready for my monday morning commute. hehe. Thanks for all the replies.

Gav

Advertisement