Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurray for Europe! New Bank Holiday proposed

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

murpho999 wrote: »
    It's not an empire and nor is it falling apart at the seams.

It's just that a country that still has an Empire mentality is leaving.

The remaining 27 will be fine.

Immigration is only right wing bluster and not the big problem it's made out to be.
    EU is also totally democratic.

Uh huh like the cancelling of referendums on an EU constitution after it was rejected by French and Dutch voters, or as we know all too well here "you voted the wrong way there lads! Let's try that again"

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭sameoldname

Uh huh like the cancelling of referendums on an EU constitution after it was rejected by French and Dutch voters, or as we know all too well here "you voted the wrong way there lads! Let's try that again"

It was rejected and then changed and clarified. What's undemocratic about that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭Thomas_IV

Correction I should have put citizens(I won't put european citizens as that would give this charade legitimacy ;) Well you've got Hungary and Poland who want no part of Merkels "come, come" policy and could you really blame them? Yet the EU like to chastise them for not being part of the diversity is our strength(who comes up with these bull**** slogans)

Like you leave out the fact an EU army was well in the pipeline before Trump came to office

No consequences have been dished out by the EU towards those countries of which you've only mentioned two, but in fact they are four and with Austria even five.

As I see that it really has no merit to continue this thread with you, you can keep your own world view for yourself as I don't waste my time with running in circles. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I honestly dont know anyone here in the uk on 20 days annual leave.

I do, me, although not for long. Contract mix-up in new job. There are about 100 people working in this place who get 20 days.

It's not an empire and nor is it falling apart at the seams.

It's just that a country that still has an Empire mentality is leaving.

The remaining 27 will be fine.

Immigration is only right wing bluster and not the big problem it's made out to be.
    EU is also totally democratic.

France are leaving the EU? when did that happen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,379 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Both referendums were not legally binding and also were issues for each country to handle not the EU.

Ireland voted a second time on renegotiated treaty with concessions after rejecting the first one. That appears very democratic to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

people were European before the EU and they'll be European when it's gone.

Both referendums were not legally binding and also were issues for each country to handle not the EU.

Ireland voted a second time on renegotiated treaty with concessions after rejecting the first one. That appears very democratic to me.
    It was rejected and then changed and clarified. What's undemocratic about that?

Pretty dubious democracy to me, we had Sarkozy telling us the Irish would have to vote again after the first vote, EU funding for the yes side, these revotes only seem to happen when a stop is put on ever closer union....

Oh yeah and vote yes for jobs!

https://me.me/i/9986450

Aegir wrote: »
    France are leaving the EU? when did that happen?

When Le Pen became President with a FN majority in Parliament. That is the pipedream of the French FN Fascists.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,379 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Pretty dubious democracy to me, we had Sarkozy telling us the Irish would have to vote again after the first vote, EU funding for the yes side, these revotes only seem to happen when a stop is put on ever closer union....

Oh yeah and vote yes for jobs!

https://me.me/i/9986450

Yea whatever, Sarkozy can say what he wants. Ireland still decided itself to get a new treaty, hold a new referendum and we passed it.

I think you should get over at and look at all the good things the EU brings of which there are many. Peace being the main one for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭abcabc123123

9 of May seems like a weird date to have it. It is in commemoration of the Schuman Declaration apparently, but I'd say the 9th is more widely known as being the day that Russia celebrates victory of the Soviets over the Nazis. In Europe though VE day is on the 8th.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭abcabc123123

... think I might get an EU flag to stick in my window now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Thomas_IV wrote: »
    Is it? How do you or would you define American culture for example?

Theres clearly one dominant culture there. Thats also a question, not an answer.

Theres clearly one dominant culture there. Thats also a question, not an answer.

That 'one dominant' culture is European, not just 'WASP'. It doesn't make the other culturers non-existent though.

The EU flag will never inspire the loyalty the Stars and Stripes enjoys because it was never carried into battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato
    Restaurant at the End of the Universe

The EU is a project about power just wrapped up under the guise of a trading bloc/peace project, I'm not the only one to notice ever since the financial crash its really started to flex its muscles.

Amazing really, you can't have a thread about a shagging bank holiday without crap like this being spouted.

It took a while but I don't mind. How does my body look in this light?

donaghs wrote: »
    Our tax system is a big target now. Especially with after losing the biggest ally on this front, i.e. the UK.

Netherlands and Luxembourg are balls deep in the attracting "tax efficient" foreign investment game, too.

The EU flag will never inspire the loyalty the Stars and Stripes enjoys because it was never carried into battle.

Hmmm but then "EU army bad". Does not compute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭ June Lemon Misogynist

Does that mean those (Finland, Spa, Ita) {varies per state/employer}, that already get around 15 public, and maybe 20+ private, will get another one?

Who's gonna pay for the next 6 members joining,
    who have 1/2 (pro-rata) the German GDP, with all these jolly holiers?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,209 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Yeah this whole European identity is a bit too forced and artifical, you would swear they are trying to build another US...

I'd be terrified if these goons ever got an army
    Yes, European army is scary. We should go back to Europe in the early to mid 20th century. Europe had no wars back then.

• Advertisement

Cienciano wrote: »
    Yes, European army is scary. We should go back to Europe in the early to mid 20th century. Europe had no wars back then.

France and Germany are leading the push for this army.... What could go wrong, hope you get put on the frontline

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

It isn't so hard to make Quislings of some Paddies. A day off work once a year and they hoist the blue flag above the tricolour.

When you think of what some Black and Tan torture victims went through for independence! I suppose if a week is a long time in politics, one can easily see a 180 turn in a 100 years.

Hmmm but then "EU army bad". Does not compute.

compute harder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

That 'one dominant' culture is European, not just 'WASP'. It doesn't make the other culturers non-existent though.

There’s no single European culture. Maybe in the Middle and early modern ages there was for elites and the EU hasn’t really tried to recreate that.

compute harder

You want people to fight for a flag which doesn't have an army. OK. That might have made sense inside your head somewhere.

There’s no single European culture. Maybe in the Middle and early modern ages there was for elites and the EU hasn’t really tried to recreate that.

It is typical for right-wingers that their world view is very one-sided and narrow minded. But as I am no right-winger myself, I am not much bothered by the way such people maintain what they believe in even when it is wrong cos they only and always look at the things that divides but ignore the common values.

Europe is the better future for us all, nationalism is the wrong way back into a past which no-one in his right mind would ever want to return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Benny Biscotti

There will be no extra holiday. it's just brexit fodder. They must think there is a 2nd referendum on the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

It is typical for right-wingers that their world view is very one-sided and narrow minded. But as I am no right-winger myself, I am not much bothered by the way such people maintain what they believe in even when it is wrong cos they only and always look at the things that divides but ignore the common values.

Europe is the better future for us all, nationalism is the wrong way back into a past which no-one in his right mind would ever want to return.

It's factually incorrect to say there ever was a single European culture. The Romans had more in common with the Egyptians than the Vikings for example. The peoples of Europe today are MASSIVELY different culturally. The only thing they have in common over people from other parts of the world is watching American TV.

Germans believe in the full application of the letter of every law. Irish don't. Water charges protests there would be unthinkable.

Even Catholicism in Ireland Spain and Poland for example were practiced completely differently. Trying to pretend otherwise is revisionism.

If you've lived in Ireland all your life you can believe we are all the same culturally. But I can tell you are we fcuk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭DS86DS

Oh how nice..... Ireland signs away it's national sovereignty to the EU...,.thus turning Ireland in 2030 into something we don't recognise anymore

But hey who cares about any of that.....we get a day off...yayyyy EU :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

9 of May seems like a weird date to have it. It is in commemoration of the Schuman Declaration apparently, but I'd say the 9th is more widely known as being the day that Russia celebrates victory of the Soviets over the Nazis. In Europe though VE day is on the 8th.

Maybe they're sending a message that they're still around:D

Advertisement