Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Looking for advice on pannier bags- absolute newbie!

• 25-01-2019 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm looking for advice on pannier bags; my wife has a Specialized hybrid bike and she needs to get a pair of rear pannier bags for an upcoming trip she has planned. The bike is already fitted with a rear carrier, see photos. Are the bags a standard size, can I just go ahead and order anything within my budget or is there anything in particular I need to consider. The bags will be used infrequently so I don't want to spend a fortune but I'd like to have something that will last. I don't buy that much bike stuff but when I do I usually use chainreaction so any recommendations from there would be very welcome, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,264 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I use one of these https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/altura-sonic-25-waterproof-pannier-2017/rp-prod164150

I think it came with bits for different sized racks, but the only thing I had to adjust was the bar to stop it swinging out. More expensive than some options, but cheaper than ortlieb. Waterproof for me so far. The only thing I thought was a bit "cheap" of them was they don't provide a shoulder strap for off bike use.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I use the Altura Dry Line urban ones a lot. Can't fault them other than they don't have a carrying strap for over the shoulder as noted above. Also have their top of the line Orkney panniers. They may have come with a strap, but they are used infrequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭Ryath

That altura one isn't that well priced considering that's the price just for one. Ortlieb really are the best they will last pretty much for ever.

Depending on how much she want's to carry. I'd go for one of these. I have the front rollers myself they can hold more than the 12.5l advertised. I've done severaldays camping with very careful packing. That's with one pannier pretty much full with sleeping bag and gas stove. Have done a few nights B&Bing it with just one pannier. She may need the bigger ones but the problem with more space is you tend to fill it and bring more than you need.

Will probably still pick up the back rollers at some stage I will need the space if I take a trip to europe and I'm hoping to do some touring with my daughter this summer so will need the space to carry her stuff too.

Ortlieb Front rollers

Ortleb back rollers

Not sure if your rack can take panniers you'll all most certainly have to take that spring clamp of to have room to hang the pannier brackets. It will depend on how thick the bars are on it too.

I'd suggest replacing those raceblades with full mudguards too. They give much better protection and aren't fiddly and move around like the race blades. SKS Chromoplastics are probably the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,264 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'd just add the Altura one I have is big - I actually have to watch overfilling it for balance and rack weight limit (I've a lightweight rack). I keep my u lock in a rubbish old pannier bag on the other side for a little bit of counterbalance, and also I don't have to open or close the main bag at the bike rack.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I've Ortlieb back rollers which I find great, although the plastic clip / buckle is now beginning to degrade after several years of use.

I've used them on about 4 different racks, including diffferent brands and never had an issue in terms of sizing etc. there's an adjustable catch (for want of a better word) which allows for different types of racks I guess, as well as adjusting for whether the bag is on the right or left side of the rack.

anyway, CRC don't sell them so my one piece of advice is to go for waterproof! in the long term it gives you so many options for what you want to use them for - I now carry my laptop to & from work every day with no concerns whatsoever.

• Advertisement

Ryath wrote: »
    Not sure if your rack can take panniers you'll all most certainly have to take that spring clamp of to have room to hang the pannier brackets. It will depend on how thick the bars are on it too.

just on this point, I've what looks like an identical rack with the spring clamp and can get 2 back rollers on it no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭jack of all

Great stuff, this is exactly the kind of info I'm looking for, I'm in work now so I'll have to wait til this evening to process it, thanks for your help everyone, much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I have a brand called Vincita , its grant but what drives me nuts is that they have a bonkers centre of gravity if you have to prop the bag on anything. If I was buying one again I'd go for something that doesn't taper and is more squared off.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

I also wouldn't focus too much on CRC, there are plenty of good websites for buying this stuff if you shop around, I'm sure people here would be happy to advise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Ortileb back roller classic are, IME the absolute best. Very good clip on system, extremely durable and completely water proof.

Expensive, but if you give them a little care they will last forever and if any of the buckles etc degrade it's cheap and easy to get new ones and replace.

They are a bit expensive though, but totally worth it.

• Advertisement

Ortileb back roller classic are, IME the absolute best. Very good clip on system, extremely durable and completely water proof.

Expensive, but if you give them a little care they will last forever and if any of the buckles etc degrade it's cheap and easy to get new ones and replace.

They are a bit expensive though, but totally worth it.

have you replaced some? looking at a couple of videos on youtube and it does look easyish if you get the right type of buckle - not so much if you don't!

This is all good stuff, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

have you replaced some? looking at a couple of videos on youtube and it does look easyish if you get the right type of buckle - not so much if you don't!

Yeah, it was handy enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

To counter the Ortileb fans, Timbuks would be my go to.

https://www.timbuk2.com/collections/pannier-bike-bags

• Registered Users Posts: 28,322 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

To counter those with lots of money, I got these last year, and have got a good year of commuting out of them with no issues;

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/ROCKBROS-Waterproof-Pannier-Bag-Cycling-Travel-RearSeat-Carrier-Bag-18-27L-UK/252976497146?hash=item3ae69301fa:m:m2hnhdiaR9nPViXclFxU2Og:rk:3:pf:0

To counter those with lots of money, I got these last year, and have got a good year of commuting out of them with no issues;

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/ROCKBROS-Waterproof-Pannier-Bag-Cycling-Travel-RearSeat-Carrier-Bag-18-27L-UK/252976497146?hash=item3ae69301fa:m:m2hnhdiaR9nPViXclFxU2Og:rk:3:pf:0

I'vewith your suggestion Andrew, they looked like great value, I'll let you know how I get on!. Thanks to you and everyone else for their advice.

@ AndrewjRenko

My panniers arrived today, I was little worried that they might not fit the carrier on the bike but they're perfect. We're delighted with them and looking forward to testing them out next weekend, hopefully the weather might improve by then! Thanks for the recommendation.

We used the Rockbros for the first time this weekend. The weather was awful on Saturday and pleased to say they passed the water resistance test with flying colours. Very happy with them so thanks again AndrewjRenko

Advertisement