Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Evil 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

I'd love to do it again -
    But (unpopular opinion) I dislike Blessington and West Wicklow for long spins. Nice areas, but don't add much to a spin concentrating on climbing, other than irritating distance.

I thought the route last year was faultless, and thoroughly enjoyable .

I'll probably do any route but perhaps I've cycled around Blessington too much in the winter rain to appreciate it!
    Is it against the rules to do the reverse route of last year (perhaps)?

Arron, is west Wicklow the Wicklow Gap?

We, by the looks of it (if we use route 2) are only using a small section of lake drive and then going over Gap road and from what i can see on Strava, not many boards members have gone over, including myself.

And that is the same for a couple of the climbs i've put on it.

The reason i changed the route again is because it has changed every year since 2012.
    If anyone else would like to do the same route as last year, let me know and ill put it in the poll.

The reason i've only done the Wicklow 200 once, is because the route hasn't really changed apart from the start/finish location but the main climbs have stayed the same.

Is it against the rules to do the reverse route of last year (perhaps)?

Last years route, reversed :)
    You would be going down the Wall, Cunard road so it would be easier.
    https://www.strava.com/routes/16411507

This year we will be doing a much harder loop around Laragh.
    Not only is the climb out of Avoca in it but we will also be doing the Shay Elliot, Slieve Mann combo at the end of that loop instead of at the start as we did last year.
    It makes a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Strava links not working for me....What climbing are in both versions?
    Interested but have to work out my 2019 calendar as of yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Sunsets On Tuesday

Last years route, reversed :)
    You would be going down the Wall, Cunard road so it would be easier.
    https://www.strava.com/routes/16411507

This year we will be doing a much harder loop around Laragh.
    Not only is the climb out of Avoca in it but we will also be doing the Shay Elliot, Slieve Mann combo at the end of that loop instead of at the start as we did last year.
    It makes a big difference.

That reversed loop looks nice. But yeah perhaps I just saw lake drive and overreacted, I don't really mind which route is done! I understand the attraction of changing it every year too :-)

Strava links not working for me....What climbing are in both versions?
    Interested but have to work out my 2019 calendar as of yet...

Links are working fine for me and i'm not even signed into Strava so i'm not sure whats wrong as they are not on private.

Both routes about 230 km with just over 5100 meters.
    Its really the most you can cram into Wicklow in that many km's without repeating the same roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Dipsomaniac

I'll put my name down. Hopefully winter wont be as bad as last year and I get out more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

This could clash with a Ring of Kerry with work but if it doesn't I'm all over this like a cheap suit

This could clash with a Ring of Kerry with work but if it doesn't I'm all over this like a cheap suit

Ring of Kerry is in July.
    The evil is in June so plenty of time to recover :).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I asusme he meant he is doing the route with work as opposed with doing the actual event.

godtabh wrote: »
    I asusme he meant he is doing the route with work as opposed with doing the actual event.

Yeah i got that after i replied.
    Sure then he's even more spare time to rearrange the Kerry trip;).

• Advertisement

Not 'the' ROK but 'a' ROK, few of us from work are doing it :o

Not worried about recovery tbh, all this fight training at the moment I reckon I could cycle through a concrete wall :pac:

Not 'the' ROK but 'a' ROK, few of us from work are doing it :o

Not worried about recovery tbh, all this fight training at the moment I reckon I could cycle through a concrete wall :pac:

Ah **** it... I just checked, this clashes with Metallica in Slane

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

well, you'll just have to pick one. Sad but true, i know.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Which means more importantly, it clashes with The Cure

well, you'll just have to pick one. Sad but true, i know.

Get your coat

But yes, I'll be at Metallica

I suppose it’s about time to give the thread a bump so as people not forget.
    Anyone confirmed for been in or out.

No chance of moving this so it doesn't clash with Metallica? The 29th would suit me actually :pac:

No chance of moving this so it doesn't clash with Metallica? The 29th would suit me actually :pac:

Sorry. I don’t have the authority to make that decision😀.
    It’s always been on the same weekend so as the Wicklow 200 so that’s why I have picked the same weekend again.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

I'll start it anyway, no promises beyond that..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Like the above, just shortened to
    no promises

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Sunsets On Tuesday

I hope to do it, although I expect you, Irishrover, to provide;
    food,
    insurance,
    closed roads,
    trophies for finishing,
    bouncy castles,
    gps timing;
    and to ensure that pedestrians don't get in our way.

Failure to do any of the above should lead to the cancelling of the "event."

(!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

A bouncy castle at the far end of a dangerous downhill turn is actually quite a tempting idea :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I will attempt it but need to do some training.

Alek wrote: »
    A bouncy castle at the far end of a dangerous downhill turn is actually quite a tempting idea :D

At which downhill turn would we put it. Their is so many on this route.

godtabh wrote: »
    I will attempt it but need to do some training.

I’ve had two outdoor spins since the end of March.
    Other than that I’ve been on the turbo doing 40 minute sessions so I need to get out myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭devonp

i'll try and get to the start....and hopefully to the end

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Alexzont

Looking forward to it. Going to give the whole 'pacing' lark a go this year.

Alexzont wrote: »
    Looking forward to it. Going to give the whole 'pacing' lark a go this year.

A year older and a bit wiser ðŸ‘

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'd like to try it. I expect to fail, but I'd be so far from home I'd have to finish it.

Can "bikepack" it to maybe and bring enough food so I don't have to stop anywhere

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    I'd like to try it. I expect to fail, but I'd be so far from home I'd have to finish it.

Can "bikepack" it to maybe and bring enough food so I don't have to stop anywhere

Can you not drive to the start. I believe that’s what devonp done last year. Their is always a get out somewhere along the route that will still leave you with a long but very respectful day in the saddle.

Advertisement