Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Murphy's Ice Cream

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,384 ✭✭✭✭road_high

fryup wrote: »
    so am i tbh,

don't see anything wrong or weird with a staff member striking up a conversation with you? aren't we a nation of talkers after all?

wouldn't it be far worse if they were in a huff and ignored you???

There’s natural friendly chat and there’s forced fakery. This is the latter and I’ve been there a few times. It’s pretty expensive for what it is as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Headphones always rescues me from those annoying customer servers

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I love the ice-cream but the begosh and begorrah staff stuff drives me close to slapping someone with their Peaky Blinders caps. It could be worse, they could be pretending to be a Healy Rae.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭skD13

I love to chat with staff in shops, but organic, naturally flowing chat. This Murphys experience was like an ambush with someone acting (and I mean acting) like they wanted to be my best friend. It was way too much. I found it interesting that this thread sprung up and I'm not the only one who feels uncomfortable/annoyed by this particular sales ploy.

Someone tell the Murphys to get on here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

Why don't all of you just ask to kindly speak with the managers and then inform the managers that you'd rather not be interrogated by teenagers when you're simply looking to get an ice cream and leave as quickly as possible, otherwise you're just moaning and complaining with no possible change happening which just makes you all useless, miserable gowls. I don't understand why Irish people are so averse to giving constructive criticisms to businesses, speak up for yourselves for goodness sake. How many of you have even done the simple process of just contacting them with your feedback on social media?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭skD13

Arrival wrote: »
    Why don't all of you just ask to kindly speak with the managers and then inform the managers that you'd rather not be interrogated by teenagers when you're simply looking to get an ice cream and leave as quickly as possible, otherwise you're just moaning and complaining with no possible change happening which just makes you all useless, miserable gowls. I don't understand why Irish people are so averse to giving constructive criticisms to businesses, speak up for yourselves for goodness sake. How many of you have even done the simple process of just contacting them with your feedback on social media?

I probably will the next time (swear) . I was just in shock that day ;).

P. S. Kudos for the use of gowl. My favourite term of abuse.

fryup wrote: »
    just pretend to be deaf, problem solved

I doubt it...they’re the kind of happy clappy people that can sign in three languages 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Zero Point

Arrival wrote: »
    Went into the one on Wicklow Street one day and we were pounced on by a cloying Disney-type personality. We quickly did a u-turn out the door. That WAS the feedback. If we couldn't tolerate staying for less than minute we were hardly going to take the time to write them a complaint. Businesses need to tailor their customer service to the general population of a particular culture. That over- the-top fake niceness doesn't work well here and shows a lack of understanding about customer behaviour and attitudes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ANDREWMUFC

A bunch of teens interrogating you

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I like NoBo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Hahaha
    Thought the exact same when I visited galway
    Some server lad chatting to me about sweet f all for the ten minutes I was queing,absolutely painful, just couldnt wait for him to go away and the boring small talk to end. The americans beside me in the queue seemed to love that servers were chatting with them though so I guess its a good business model for them

• Registered Users Posts: 25,659 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Zero Point wrote: »
    . Businesses need to tailor their customer service to the general population of a particular culture.

Nope, they need to tailor it to their target market. They have. You ain't it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I've been there once in Galway and the painful, forced conversation was actually my lasting impression of the place.

Nothing wrong with conversation, but it's the over-enthusiastic 'fake-friend' approach that's incredibly annoying in any shop/restaurant/whatever.

Don't get the praise anyway, found it pretty average - there's a gelato place a few minutes away which is infinitely better.

wakka12 wrote: »
    Hahaha
    Thought the exact same when I visited galway
    Some server lad chatting to me about sweet f all for the ten minutes I was queing,absolutely painful, just couldnt wait for him to go away and the boring small talk to end. The americans beside me in the queue seemed to love that servers were chatting with them though so I guess its a good business model for them

Yes the yanks probably love this false ****e as they tend to go in for fake customer service. Irish people are too cynical and see right through this kind of stuff. Not sure why they don't just adapt their sales pitch to foreigners

I've been there once in Galway and the painful, forced conversation was actually my lasting impression of the place.

Nothing wrong with conversation, but it's the over-enthusiastic 'fake-friend' approach that's incredibly annoying in any shop/restaurant/whatever.

Don't get the praise anyway, found it pretty average - there's a gelato place a few minutes away which is infinitely better.

I wasn't blown away by the ice cream either. For about a fiver a pop it was nothing special.

Wasn't it set up by two yanks or something? Might explain a lot :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithi1970

I remember a few years ago being in a mall in Ohio, and the servers there were just like that-overfriendly way past the point of annoyance..I found myself longing for the apathy and barely concealed contempt that Irish shopworkers usually display..

tl:dr, its a yank thing...

Their Trip advisor reviews are interesting. Funnily enough few complaints re the staff but people fuming with the price, stingey portions and average tasting product!

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭the-island-man

They should have their customer service approach set up like this:

463010.jpg

The one in Kilkenny is closed- their happy clappy mix of fake chat, overpriced average ice cream mustn’t have made it pay.
    Wonder what happened the staff? Do they go back to studying Gender studies and Socoliogy in trinners?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Reminds me of some snake of a middle manager chiding two workers in McDonald's for having a laugh while serving me, really annoyed me. Typical have a nice day wanker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭DS86DS

I love the stuff. So many great flavours and I love that there's a shop now in Galway but......

wtf is with the staff?! Seem like decent people but they're acting like Yanks.

You walk in the door to be greeted by "So what are up to today? What was that like? when is that on? I was thinking of going to that but I wasn't sure, what do you think?"

I am here to get some delicious ice cream not to make new friends or play 20 questions. People may think i'm being a grumpy b**tard but anyone who has been to the Galway shop is sure know what I mean. It's questions asked in a way akin to the fake type of questions you get from service staff in America.

I think fair enough if they need to Plámás the tourists/yanks but when I walk in with an Irish accent please just give me the f***in' ice cream and don't make me go through this rigmarole every time :confused:

I must look into this, I have a soft spot for ice cream.

As for the staff, that sounds like the Americana waitor routine in Eddie Rockets.

You can't put some food in your gob without been asked every 2 minutes if everything is alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,720 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

JupiterKid wrote: »
    ...and here was me thinking this thread was about ice cream flavored after a well known Cork stout.:pac:

Advertisement