Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

road vs hybrid

• 05-06-2018 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

Hi there
    Newbie here. I'm currently waiting my bike to work voucher and am still undecided on what type of bike to purchase. I'm currently doing between 30-60k a week on a Raleigh mtb that cost 100e in Halfords! I have been using my friends Liv alight for longer spins and love it, I comfortably completed a 65k sportive on it recently.
    I was all set on a road bike but realised recently that I do more back roads/tiny bit of off road biking. I was also talking to a friend who's into road bikes and she said she drives her bike to a main road and then cycles on that as she doesn't want to damage it (this is defo not what I want, want to be able to go from my door)
    I'm also hoping to do a bit of canal/gravel cycling this summer for a weekend tour!
    Does anyone have any advice for me? Should I get a road bike for when I build up distances or stick with a more versitile option like the hybrid? I'm not going over my bike to work voucher budget of 1,000
    Thanks!
    Ruth

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You want a cyclo-cross bike.

Best of both worlds - the position and aerodynamics of a road bike, but with a frame that can take off-road tyres.

Everyone I've ever known who's bought a hybrid "to begin with" has regretted it. Since you already know you enjoy doing longer distances, then the investment now will be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

Sounds like a cyclo cross bike might be the thing? Road bike in essence with bigger tyres and disc brakes. Perfect for mud, grass and gravelly trails. You can also easily do longer spins on it and have the benefit of different handle bar positions that you won't have on a hybrid.

Have a look at the description of this one below

https://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=114903

*seamus beat me to it - but I am also a member of the i-bought-a-hybrid-and-regretted-it club

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

Thanks a mill for that info but I really can't go over the €1,000. Even that is pushing it a bit. Thanks for advice though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Burts Bee wrote: »
    Thanks a mill for that info but I really can't go over the €1,000. Even that is pushing it a bit. Thanks for advice though.

If your happy with the bike from Halfords, you can go there again. They won't be the lightest but I see the Voodoo Limba is at 408euro but you will feel the weight, but higher up they have the following which I have seen and heard loads of people using with out complaint.

Boardman ADV at 900euro

Boardman CX at 702euro

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

Burts Bee wrote: »

ah yeah that's just one example but the cyclo cross bike type would be worth looking into

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/boardman-adv-8-8-womens-adventure-bike

Lovely looking bike. Halford's aside, I don't know anyone who's unhappy with their Boardman.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Is it easy to get full mudguards for those type of bikes as I guess they are designed for mud trails and off road?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'd actually go gravel/ Adventure/ all road rather than cyclocross tbh. Likely to be a more relaxed geometry than a pure cross bike.

The Boardman adv's seem pretty competitive from my looking around.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Is it easy to get full mudguards for those type of bikes as I guess they are designed for mud trails and off road?

Depends on the bike. Many of them don't have the drop outs for mudguards, in which case you are looking either at P-clips or the SKS ones that have a rubber mount to the frame.

Clearance is sometimes an issue too, but with disc brakes I imagine you would be alright on that front.

That Cube looks like a very aggressive geometry. I wouldn't fancy commuting on it, but each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

Thanks a million for all the advice. Went back into the bike shop today and have actually decided to go with a road bike after all, just means that I'll have to take the raleigh with me for any off road spins!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭saccades

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I'd actually go gravel/ Adventure/ all road rather than cyclocross tbh. Likely to be a more relaxed geometry than a pure cross bike.

The Boardman adv's seem pretty competitive from my looking around.

This👆, CX bikes are what was recommended 5+ years ago for what you asked for.

Nearly all manufacturers have caught up and now make an adventure/gravel bikes which can take big tyres, guards, racks and have easy sportive geometry but still retain enough of their roadie DNA to be at home on the sunday club run.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭L8rdude

Thanks OP, I bought a hybrid last year and in hindsight, now I am doing longer distances, I think I will use the BTW scheme to get an ADV road bike. Thanks for the suggestions

Advertisement