Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prelude to Cold Weather/Snow - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

How's would the temps be looking for us in Cork City? :) iirc cork can be very snowed under from an easterly or very dry, but I'm not sure! Not sure how to tell general temps from the graphs yet! Thanks

It wouldn't be much different - if these charts verify you guys should see heavy snow too.

That ECM is almost as perfect as it can get though, worth bearing that in mind. But even with a decent downgrade next week should throw up snow potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,095 ✭✭✭pad199207

Id say the 21:30 RTE weather later will drop much more hints and signs of much colder conditions come the weekend after that ECM this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    In Dublin City centre yes, -5c maxes possible in more rural areas. That would require being under a constant streamer of cloud cover and heavy snow though given the sun strength at this time of year( which by the way will just aid convective activity).

These charts are just extreme, no other word for it.

...but what about the strength of the sun at this time of year:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

pjohnson wrote: »
    I dont like frozen roads/pipes and left housebound. Dya know how bloody boring rural Galway can be :pac:

I've only just got the TV back lastnight
    Get a slab of beer and a few jazz mags 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Here's the GFS forecast Skew-T for Dublin city next Monday night. Northeasterly wind, deep saturated layer to 4 km, whole profile well below zero = heavy snow.

Bank!

442225.PNG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

pad199207 wrote: »
    After this evenings runs i think the only thing that stands between us and probably the strongest easterly in decades is Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

The setup cannot be faulted.

Id say if the same setup is being modelled through tomorrow this thread will likely be 20 pages long by tomorrow evening.......
    Be over 20 long by the end of the first half in the Wigan and City match ffs

pjohnson wrote: »
    Is it likely to go country wide or just easterly? Will Galway need to worry?

Cold and mostly dry, perhaps the odd shower or two contend with, but not frequent or heavy snow- unless there is a frontal event.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

gabeeg wrote: »
    Cork?

about 8 degrees celsius, with driving rain

Honestly wouldn't surprise me! :P
    BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    It wouldn't be much different - if these charts verify you guys should see heavy snow too.

That ECM is almost as perfect as it can get though, worth bearing that in mind. But even with a decent downgrade next week should throw up snow potential.

Thanks a lot for the reply! :D appreciate it! :) Just makes chart watching more entertaining and exciting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Off work next week :D great timing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Will it snow just north of rathmines on Monday at 3 pm ?? I've an appointment for my grannys sick puppy to get his hair cut ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Will it snow just north of rathmines on Monday at 3 pm ?? I've an appointment for my grannys sick puppy to get his hair cut ..

No it won't start til 3.47pm😂

• Registered Users Posts: 22,936 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Cold and mostly dry, perhaps the odd shower or two contend with, but not frequent or heavy snow- unless there is a frontal event.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Here's the GFS forecast Skew-T for Dublin city next Monday night. Northeasterly wind, deep saturated layer to 4 km, whole profile well below zero = heavy snow.

Bank!

Never thought I'd see the day Gaoth Laidir mentioning heavy snow. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I take it that this will potentially be a countrywide event from Sunday?

When Gaoth Laidir isn’t doubting Kermit that’s must only mean one thing.....

This could be the real deal!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,079 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

gozunda wrote: »
    I take it that this will potentially be a countrywide event from Sunday?

Cold weather yes, snowfall remains to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,834 ✭✭✭pauldry

Already a major event has started in the Northwest

RED WARNING its going to be mainly dry

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

Just out of curiosity guys when was the 2010 event first spotted? And which model handled it best?? My memory is failing me 😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 7,095 ✭✭✭pad199207

When Gaoth Laidir isn’t doubting Kermit that’s must only mean one thing.....

This could be the real deal!

Yeah we won’t be worrying about these words and terms.....

“Marginal, Dewpoint, Wetbulb, warm sector, onshore wind, sleet, ground too wet, ground too warm, it’s not sticking.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Rock on bring it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,543 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Siberian Chill Is About to ‘Test’ Europe’s Energy Supplies
    By Jesper Starn
    February 19, 2018, 2:13 PM GMT Updated on February 19, 2018, 3:00 PM GMT

Temperatures set to drop on sudden stratospheric warming
    Power and natural gas prices rise on heating demand outlook

A rare weather event in the Arctic that is expected to bring freezing weather back to swathes of Europe has spurred jumps in energy prices.

Prices for electricity, natural gas, coal and carbon rose across the region as colder weather is set to increase demand for heating. The chillier outlook is because of a weather event called sudden stratospheric warming, where the polar vortex of westerly wind is slowed down or reversed, pushing cold air flows from Russia west across Europe.

When the same weather event happened in 2009 there was not enough gas to cover soaring demand in both east and west Europe at the same time, said Arne Bergvik, chief analyst at power portfolio manager Scandem AB in Orebro, Sweden. Russian exporter Gazprom PJSC ended up cutting exports and accused Ukraine of taking more gas than it paid for.

“When all of Europe sees an increase of consumption at the same time, reserves, such as gas storage, is put to the test,” Bergvik said. “Weather in the coming week will test energy markets and support higher coal, power and gas prices.”

While the amount of natural gas in storage across the European Union is less than usual for the time of year, at 38 percent full it is more than 5 percentage points above the level at the same time last year, Gas Industry Europe data show.
    Average temperatures in northwest Europe are seen dropping to minus 2.3 degrees Celsius (28 Fahrenheit) on Feb. 27 compared with a 30-year average of 3.9 Celsius, according to data compiled by Bloomberg using the ECMWF model.

“There are signs that this cold spell is likely to last well into next week with possibly even colder air from Russia moving across the U.K.,” the Met Office said Monday on its website. “Although there is a very low risk of snow this week because of the dry nature of the air, this could change the other side of the weekend.”
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-02-19/siberian-chill-arriving-in-europe-sends-energy-prices-surging

Looks like I'm going to have to get the chainsaw out and get to work. Thank goodness for wood burning stoves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭dacogawa

kittyn wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity guys when was the 2010 event first spotted? And which model handled it best?? My memory is failing me 😂😂😂

I think it was first spotted by a walking weather chart named M.T. Cranium :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,123 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Balls, my garden pond has frogspawn in it for the first time and I had been really looking forward to watching them develop with the kids. Hopefully they'll survive a sharp frost..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

If I recall correctly it was about a week and a half in advance. I'd have to dig up the thread though.

Overall i'd say the charts look impressive tonight but exercise some caution if spreading the word just for now. Give it a couple more days.

Restrain yourselves! :pac:

It was M.T. Cranium and the UK Met Office. Both were bullish about it happening a week or two in advance. The UK Met office has been the same about this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Never thought I'd see the day Gaoth Laidir mentioning heavy snow. :)

And heavy DRY snow at that, not a flake of slop in sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

If we are still seeing these charts Wednesday night I'm fully on board. Hard not to get excited all the same 🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭budweiser6

Sweet Jesus I'm so excited I've a feeling this thread will be mental for the next few days.

Well done Kermit you never shy away from going for it! Loving the banter here this winter still not fully grasping the models but love reading posts by those who can.

Bring.It.On

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Omg how amazing would a late winter beasterly be :) It would make up for 8 years of disappointment for dubliners

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Akrasia wrote: »
    Balls, my garden pond has frogspawn in it for the first time and I had been really looking forward to watching them develop with the kids. Hopefully they'll survive a sharp frost..

Can you put a cover over it? A tent-like structure?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement