Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Gravel Routes (Check out my Gravel Tips)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭De Bhál

a148pro wrote: »
    Might be best to take our posts and your pics down - keep it quiet!

That did occur to me when putting up the pictures but to be honest I met only about 4 other cyclists over the course of the day which is a bit miserable when you consider the brilliant resource available to people. Ok it's not a tarmac surface but you'd think more would use it.

I also met a few walkers and a fair few fishermen.

I rode the Royal canal a couple of summers ago from Phibsborough to Clondara and met very few cyclists on it. Again I suspect the surface of the track must be the reason for people not going on it.

Compare that with the Waterford greenway, the day I was on that it was well populated.
    I'd prefer to see these tracks have people on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

And that, precisely, is the debate about the Barrow, whether to grit it or not. For me, I'd much prefer to see it wild, but then again I have an N+1 bought and maybe others not so lucky. But plenty of gritted greenways around and they are choc a block. Keep it pure imo. The nicest bit, and the bit with best wildlife on the stretch of the Grand out of Dublin that I've done is green. The concrete bits are urban, staid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭De Bhál

And that, precisely, is the debate about the Barrow, whether to grit it or not. For me, I'd much prefer to see it wild, but then again I have an N+1 bought and maybe others not so lucky. But plenty of gritted greenways around and they are choc a block. Keep it pure imo. The nicest bit, and the bit with best wildlife on the stretch of the Grand out of Dublin that I've done is green. The concrete bits are urban, staid.

I'd agree up to a point. I found the barrow way fine but energy sapping at times and I'm a relatively fit & strong cyclist. I'd say if you were to go on it now it must be very wet and mucky and impassable for most...(I could be very well wrong).

To be honest i don't know much about the different sides of the argument to have the paths resurfaced so will keep my nose out of it, as a very infrequent user.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

De Bhál wrote: »
    To be honest i don't know much about the different sides of the argument to have the paths resurfaced so will keep my nose out of it, as a very infrequent user.

I find one of the things I really enjoy cycling the Grand Canal is the mix of terrain, from fast crushed gravel all the way down to the mucky wilder sections. The variety stops it from being monotonous and I'd hate for it to be uniform all the way, even though it does make it tough in spots after bad weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 SteelyC

De Bhál wrote: »
    yep The Barrow way goes through Carlow. The Barrow doesn't go through Thomastown though. The track starts in Saint Mullin's, Carlow and from there you could cycle the whole way to Dublin.

I did Graiguenmanagh to Athy during the summer and loved it, so relaxing to be away from traffic and on the bike for for 4 or 5 hours.
    From recollection there were no gates to lift the bike over and getting through Carlow was a bit haphazard as there were no signs telling you which side of the river to follow but other than that a great day.

Apologies, only getting back to this thread now!

Yep, have been riding the Barrow track a good bit, it’s fun. There are some pretty boggy bits now with all the rain, and some fairly long grass in patches which can be a bit of a slog, but that makes for nice variety, because there are some other fun bits where you can fairly put your head down and go hard!

And I agree, it’s surprisingly quiet, or at least the stretch around Carlow is. Once you go more than about a mile either side of the town you rarely meet anybody, even at the weekend.

• Advertisement

Alek wrote: »
    Roughly between 2km and 24km here:

https://www.strava.com/routes/14112402

:)

Did a bit of this recently and managed to find a route over cruagh to the featherbeds, albeit with a lot of carrying. Hope to look at google earth and work out a route from massey cruagh and on up to kippure Summit mostly off road. If I manage it will post it up. And if there's a route almost all the way above guinness lake as described elsewhere here could add that in.

Did a bit of this recently and managed to find a route over cruagh to the featherbeds, albeit with a lot of carrying. Hope to look at google earth and work out a route from massey cruagh and on up to kippure Summit mostly off road. If I manage it will post it up. And if there's a route almost all the way above guinness lake as described elsewhere here could add that in.

I've seen lads on MTBs do it but it would be well beyond my ability. From the main fire road in Cruagh coming from the car park you have a steep right up a gravel path on that takes you to another reasonably ok gravel path which loops back down to the main fire road via wooden sleepers. About 100m into this path going up a steep incline you'll see a tree on the left and a goat track used by walkers (and braver MTBers). Follow this to the edge of the trees and it goes uphill again and comes out on better path here which takes you out the Featherbeds here or via a much rougher route here. I've walked these routes and if I'm honest, if I had the CX bike with me I'd still walking the larger part ;)

That's very helpful - thanks for going to the effort of posting it

I went down the "much rougher route here" and it was grand on a diverge with 38 tires and front bar suspension. Fair bit of carrying prior to that but might be able to cut some out.

Start of off road to Kippure looks pretty bumpy but hopefully doable, but then the track seems to go cold before the last bit might run it in advance

That's very helpful - thanks for going to the effort of posting it

I went down the "much rougher route here" and it was grand on a diverge with 38 tires and front bar suspension. Fair bit of carrying prior to that but might be able to cut some out.

Start of off road to Kippure looks pretty bumpy but hopefully doable, but then the track seems to go cold before the last bit might run it in advance

That road towards Kippure (after crossing the Military road) is fine on a CX bike even with my pretty crap technical abilities (albeit dismounting for a few rockier bits), but runs out and leaves you in bog land at the bottom of the climb. There's another route from the back of Glenasmole the take you a bit closer, but also a dead end. To get a loop out of it, you could probably link it to the back of the Glassamucky track here but I haven't tried it.

Hmmm, looks like a bit of a slog. There is of course a road up kippure but that's all a bit pedestrian. Ta for your help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

https://www.strava.com/activities/1684761023

Up Kippure and over to Seefingan, Corrig and down the rough track to the back of the Reservoir. Maybe 10-15% walking on the way up Kippure.

To be fair it's nearly off topic as it's an MTB spin on a really dry day.

I think on a CX bike you are looking at too much walking and also sinking into the bog.

The CX bike would get up masseys, cruagh and over to the military road and then you could join the DMW down to the Resevoir.

That looks savage. Definitely going to give that a go, might run it first, did that route down from cruagh ok on the 38s, I'd say trail to kippure will be grand from then on it'll 'ev interesting.

Thanks for posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Brendan Hennessy

Hi all,

Really enjoying this thread. Ye might be interested in our event the OldVelos Vintage Classic which while not off-road, does ride a patchwork of boreens around the Comeragh's and Curraghmore in West Waterford (as well as gravel in the Curraghmore Estate). Our motto is old bikes and old roads so you can take your pick!!

[IMG][/img]46883011921_fa330f0d9e_z.jpgVintageClassic19 by Didawah, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I came across gravelmap.com when searching online for routes (still have to get myself that gravel bike but will hopefully have one soon). Unfortunately, no one has uploaded routes for Ireland. If anyone feels like uploading theirs it would be appreciated.

https://gravelmap.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3 GravelBikeBlog

I came across gravelmap.com when searching online for routes (still have to get myself that gravel bike but will hopefully have one soon). Unfortunately, no one has uploaded routes for Ireland. If anyone feels like uploading theirs it would be appreciated.
    I'm based in Galway and work out of a bike shop in Moycullen, just 12k out of the
    city. I have loads or routes mapped that use back roads and bog roads but most are linked together with main roads as a lot of them are dead ends, there's very few complete loops.

There is also a group of us that cycle in the wind park near us. Nearly 70k of roads in there and more being developed. I'd love to put up some routes but a lot of them cross peoples land and our group has worked hard to keep local relations with land owners in the good books so that limits what I can post. Don't want randomers wandering through people back gardens.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭cletus

I'm based in Galway and work out of a bike shop in Moycullen, just 12k out of the
    city. I have loads or routes mapped that use back roads and bog roads but most are linked together with main roads as a lot of them are dead ends, there's very few complete loops.

There is also a group of us that cycle in the wind park near us. Nearly 70k of roads in there and more being developed. I'd love to put up some routes but a lot of them cross peoples land and our group has worked hard to keep local relations with land owners in the good books so that limits what I can post. Don't want randomers wandering through people back gardens.

Gravelbikeblog, do you have an actual gravel bike blog? I found your Twitter account, but I'm not a twitterer.

Ran this recently. The "Golden mile" section would easily be doable on gravel bike. However, as advised by previous posters the path runs dead then and there's no realistic way it could be ridden thereafter on a gravel bike unfortunately. Was snow when I went up it but don't think it would really be possible unless there was serious drought and you had exceptional bike skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 GravelBikeBlog

cletus wrote: »
    Gravelbikeblog, do you have an actual gravel bike blog? I found your Twitter account, but I'm not a twitterer.

I've set up a website over the winter an am hoping to get it going with posts, routes and other content this summer when I can actually get out for long days.

I have instagram and facebook pages called gravel bike blog and a facebook group called Irish gravel cycling set up. Only about 55 people in it but it's slowly growing.

I've set up a website over the winter an am hoping to get it going with posts, routes and other content this summer when I can actually get out for long days.

I have instagram and facebook pages called gravel bike blog and a facebook group called Irish gravel cycling set up. Only about 55 people in it but it's slowly growing.

Thanks for that. Unfortunately not on either Facebook or Instagram, but looking forward to your blog

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Unfortunately not on Instagram, but looking forward to your blog

It's just a website you can view in a browser. Not that difficult.

https://www.instagram.com/gravelbikeblog/

• Advertisement

Effects wrote: »
    It's just a website you can view in a browser. Not that difficult.

https://www.instagram.com/gravelbikeblog/

Ok, thanks. I assumed I would need to create an account

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Ok, thanks. I assumed I would need to create an account

An account just makes it easier to track accounts you like.
    You can set up an account but still not post anything yourself.
    I like following certain cyclists and bike manufacturers.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Spelean

Hi all.
    Great thread and nice to see stuff from around the country.
    Lately I've been doing some trails around South Wicklow, starting near Knockanana and doing loops of the different tracks along the west side of Sliabh Maam. All up, you can get in about 60km of a circuit before you start including any out and back legs, which can be really nice in themselves.
    Some sections are a bit torturous at times with forestry harvesting and there can be a he'll of a lot of climbing in that too.
    It is super quite around there and feels very remote at times. There's good views, nice technical descents and climbs - well worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Spelean

Is there any app that works off someone else's gps or strata route and tells you to turn? Would be handy for this kind of stuff, voice commands in particular to save you spending the day fiddling around with your phone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Isn't that the nub of the problem with developing a decent network of gravel type off road sections.

What I ride is a mix of very quite back road, forestry roads and private farmland. It's just not possible to share the private sections and I'm not sure the forestry stuff is exactly save to share either.

Currently there is a load of dairy farm roads being built; they are brilliant to ride but almost completely off limits. As far I can ascertain(via a thread in LD forum which I'll link below and a few informal chats with lawyers) the landowner has less exposure if he doesn't give you permission. You are then a trespasser rather than an invitee.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=109801086

The farming roads are brilliant though, see two images attached. One is the steepest road in Nire Valley and the only time in my life(other than mtb) I had to put a foot down.

The areas I've done a bit of riding in include
    *woods south of Suir between Clonmel and Carrick
    *Nire and Glenahiry Valleys( a lot)
    *Northern area of Knockmealdowns between Newcastle and Clogheen
    *Southern area of Knockmealdowns, between forest roads, Mount Mellary( a farm but less likely to be shot!) and a few river tracks(Glensheelane and the one from Mellary bridge) this area has massive potential
    *Area west of Dungarvan running for Ring to Old Parish across towards Mount Steward/Clashmore (very little but I'll get it done)!

Portlaw area of Waterford, has a lot of potential including an almost complete link to Greenway on an old estate road. A lot of Portlaw roads seem to be part of the large Curraghmore estate

There is massive potential for events even audax if it wasn't for the permission issue. Although if I ever put the above areas into an 200km audax event it might end up like Henri Desgrange's ideal TDF route "one with only one finisher"!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30294547

Since no other fcuker adds routes said I throw one up.

8km of Blueway, including 2 lovely stone arch bridges( 2 mile and Kilsheelan), 40km of "roads"(grass up the middle, zombie tarmac etc) and the rest very lumpy forest road. About 500m of East Munster Way west of Newcastle is probably only walkable

Did a lot of it yesterday and have ridden it all, and its as nice a place to ride a bike as I've been.

If I can do the full ride it next few days I'll give Mayo a go

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭El Vino

looks great thanks for sharing, I will give it a go when I'm down that way for first 2 weeks of August.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I was preparing this route for some time, to submit as a permanent gravel/MTB 200 to Audax Ireland. I'm yet to list all the interesting places it goes through, and it will be a long list! It is a hardcore one though, endurance-wise, so be warned.

I've preridden 98% of its parts but I'm just not fit enough to do it all at once at the moment.

A few short bits have to be walked unless you're on a mountain bike or your name starts with Robin and ends with Seymour. (72>73km, 153>154km, maybe one more)

Otherwise it is fine for gravel / CX bikes and I know a mad person that completed a big part of it on bald Vittoria Hyper tyres.

https://www.strava.com/routes/19634128

WARNING: this spin may kill you or cause severe hatred towards your beloved bike, or life, or both.

• Advertisement

Love Strava's estimated moving time of 9:36. There's a full weeks worth a cycling in that for this poor mortal :pac:

Advertisement