Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hub gear bike dilemma

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,741 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

droidus wrote: »
    You're determined to jinx yourself arent you? ;)

And, lo, I DID get a puncture, finally, on the bakfiets, after about 10,000km. I was at home when the tyre went flat, so I was able to make alternative arrangements and fix it tonight.

It was fine, as it turned out. Didn't take long. Left the wheel on, left the bike on its stand, found the offending piece of glass, noted it was at eleven o'clock relative to the stem's midday, and took out that small bit of tube, and there was the puncture. Patched it; all seems fine now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

So, Id finally narrowed it down to the cube or Boardman but then I came across this thing, belt drive & NUVINCI hub for £1200...

Black02.jpg

foffa-black-nuvinci-belt-drive-hybrid-urban-bicycle

And there's more of them!

Lekker-Bikes-Amsterdam-Elite-Black-Nuvinci-Diagonal-front.jpg

That last one is a Lekker with Gates belt and Nuvinci hub for abut 1100.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭py

Delivery of my cube hyde race was delayed, hoping to have it this week.

• Advertisement

Has anyone ever used a Nuvinci? Im tempted by that lekker and I like the idea of smooth changes, but a shift grip seems wrong, and I tend to change up very fast to 5/6 from stopped.

I have now stumbled across a new type of IGH. This bike has an 18 speed pinion gear located where the bottom bracket normally goes.

Now, anyone have €5500 to spare?

xwilhelm_ap_seitenansichten.jpg.pagespeed.ic.p7c9uaqIk3.webp

https://www.schindelhauerbikes.com/en/bikes/current/Wilhelm.html

I think they were featured on a GCN video not so long ago.

They also have some Aflines for about €2000 & some very pricey Rohloffs.

xludwig_2018_black.jpg.pagespeed.ic.dtYvcAZN6m.jpg

py wrote: »
    Delivery of my cube hyde race was delayed, hoping to have it this week.

So did eventually get this and kitted it out with rack/panniers and 38c marathon plus tyres, it feels really robust out on the road. It wasn't something I'd thought of but the belt drive train runs exceptionally quiet. First time running disc brakes too, will hopefully never go back to rim brakes given how great the discs function. I do notice the extra weight compared to my road bike but it's a lot more of a functional setup for me now with minimal maintenance to boot. Will report back after a few more weeks on how's running. Have yet to attach the child's seat to see how it works with that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Love a photo of it when its all kitted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

This thread has caught my interest. In the market for a new bike on the BTW and like the idea of the commuter being hub gear etc. Some great info and options in the OP but what I've found in looking about a few shops is there isn't many examples of them about. Is there any shops in Dublin area that are more inclined to stock these type of bikes? Also I see the Nexus hub as a con against some bikes...why would that be exactly?

Cheers and sorry for the thread hijack. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

You mean hub gears or the Nexus specifically.

Dutch Bike Shop in Goatstown has a lot of hub-geared bikes. As you might expect, they're a bit pricey, as hub-geared bikes tend to be here.

I have somehow ended up with two of my three bikes being hub-geared, and I'm not unhappy with this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Pashley Governor should also be considered....

pashley-product-lifestyle-image-header-73980x490.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

beauf wrote: »
    You mean hub gears or the Nexus specifically.

Well in the OP the Nexus specifically is called out as a con. Wondering what's different between that and the others that makes it a negative. :)

My bakfiets has a Nexus 7-speed rear hub. It's been ferrying me and two kids around for about 11,000km with no issues. I've no complaints so far.

Well in the OP the Nexus specifically is called out as a con. Wondering what's different between that and the others that makes it a negative. :)

I wouldn't say that the Nexus is a con. Its perfectly adequate and has a reasonably good rep for reliability, however it is a bit clunkier, heavier and slower to change than the aflines. If youre on a budget its certainly a reasonable option.

The hub hierarchy goes something like:

Sturmey Archer 3 speed > Nexus 7 + 8 > Alfine 8 > Alfine 11 > Rohloff

With various exotics like the Nuvincis and the piston hub somewhere in the ether.

So did eventually get this and kitted it out with rack/panniers and 38c marathon plus tyres, it feels really robust out on the road. It wasn't something I'd thought of but the belt drive train runs exceptionally quiet. First time running disc brakes too, will hopefully never go back to rim brakes given how great the discs function. I do notice the extra weight compared to my road bike but it's a lot more of a functional setup for me now with minimal maintenance to boot. Will report back after a few more weeks on how's running. Have yet to attach the child's seat to see how it works with that.

Good stuff, hope it works out well for you. Make sure to keep the pads fresh on the discs, they wear out surprisingly quickly.

I had settled on the Cube Editor, with the hope of getting a cheaper 2017 model (its about 1500 new).

However, after increasing my budget I have now been tempted by the BMC alpenchallenge AC01, which is super light (for a hubbed bike) at just over 10kg, has a belt drive and comes in alfine 8 & 11. I now have to negotiate with my LBS to see how much they will charge to buy a sale model from another shop (the alfine 11 is over €2000 new).

bmc-alpenchallenge-ac01-alfine-11-2017-hybrid-bike-grey-EV273274-7000-1.jpg

The BMC also has a Nexus 8 variation, and there is also the AC02 which is a good bit cheaper but a touch heavier, no carbon fork, and comes in Alfine 8 and Nexus 8.

csm_AC01-Nexus_3800_1441_MY17-2_2fda56b79d.png

• Advertisement

So, it's all boiled down to a head to head between the Cube Editor and the new BMC AC01 Alfine 8. The Cube is €150 cheaper and has an Alfine 11. BMC is a bit lighter, and Alfine 8 is generally thought of as more reliable. BMC no longer offer an Alfine version of the AC02 unfortunately.

I admit to being totally bamboozled now and will hoping a test drive will help nail it down.

csm_2018-Alpenchallenge-01-THREE_a562db5775.png

147400_light.jpg

Looks wise it would be the BMC for me but practicality wise I think the Cube wins with it being better suited to having rack/mudguards fitted.

Yeah, I think thats fair, though there are custom mudguards for the BMC and I think there are also pannier solutions as well.

Though Im still baffled by the Cube's 42 tyres. Seems excessively wide.

How is this working out for you? I was on the verge of pulling the trigger on it the other day, but then noticed that it runs the lower spec CDN belt drive rather than the CDX.

I tried the BMC and wasn't too impressed with the geometry, seemed very upright, the Hyde race seemed more stretched which is what Im used to.

Im now stuck between the Hyde Race (€1100) with Alfine 8 and the potentially less reliable CDN drive or the Hyde Editor €(1550) with the CDX drive but potentially less reliable Alfine 11 hub. There doesn't seem to be any bike cheaper with both Alfine 8 and CDX, and believe me, Ive looked.

How is this working out for you? I was on the verge of pulling the trigger on it the other day, but then noticed that it runs the lower spec CDN belt drive rather than the CDX.

I tried the BMC and wasn't too impressed with the geometry, seemed very upright, the Hyde race seemed more stretched which is what Im used to.

Im now stuck between the Hyde Race (€1100) with Alfine 8 and the potentially less reliable CDN drive or the Hyde Editor €(1550) with the CDX drive but potentially less reliable Alfine 11 hub. There doesn't seem to be any bike cheaper with both Alfine 8 and CDX, and believe me, Ive looked.

Going very well for commuting (15Km round trip) and bringing the child to creche in the morning. I've got mudguards, child seat, rack + rack extender on the bike so there's defo a bit of extra weight on it and I feel it but I didn't buy it for speed. If you've not seen one in the flesh, you're more than welcome to take a look at it but it's the largest frame available so may be the wrong size for you.

Thanks! I sat on a 58 in the shop and it seemed OK - comparable to my cannondale in terms of weight. Any issues with lateral movement on the belt that youve noticed?

Thanks! I sat on a 58 in the shop and it seemed OK - comparable to my cannondale in terms of weight. Any issues with lateral movement on the belt that youve noticed?

No nothing like that at all and I would occasionally put down a good a chunk of power and it will move... albeit not as quick as my road bike. :)

Great, thanks for that.

I did a bit more research on the belt drives.

Gates make 3 belt systems, CDN, CDC & CDX.

The CDN is their 'urban' system designed for light commuting.

CDC is for cyclocross and gravel and doesn't have the centretrack.

CDX is the premium system with a tougher belt & more lightweight sprockets, designed for touring bikes and high mileage, this is what the Hyde Editor has.

The good news is that CDN and CDX are cross compatible, so in theory the Hyde race could be upgraded to a CDX system, which would definitely be cheaper & easier than replacing or repairing a dodgy Alfine 11 hub. The only other difference between the Hyde race and Editor are the brakes and tyres.

Documentation here: http://www.gatescarbondrive.com/~/media/cds/oemfactoryfiles/gates-taichung-product-presentation.pdf?la=en

• Advertisement

So, I did my first commute on my new Hyde Race today, a few thoughts:

Pros:

Definitely lighter than my old cannondale bad boy

Smoother, less bumpy & buzzy ride

Belt drive seems very nice & smooth, no problem with changing gears.

Overall was a bit faster than usual, but that could have been down to any number of things.

Cons (these are mostly personal preference):

The gear ratio is lower than my old bike meaning when I hit the highest gear I cant go fast enough. Current setup is 46T chainring, 22T Sprocket, 11T belt. Will have to change this but am very confused as to how to do it using this: http://www.gatescarbondrive.com/Apps/DriveCalculator/index.html

The stem is very short giving a very upright position, I think its a 75mm at 6 degrees - I took out the spacers to lower it down but reckon I need to go up to 110mm and put the spacers back.

Handlebars. Ridiculously wide at 69cm total. I took them down to 56cm which is perfect for me.

Saddle & pedals. the pedals are rubbish so will change, Saddle is OK, but not for me, will also change.

Tyres: Have already changed to Conti All seasons 32's and they still feel like big bubbles. I cant imagine what the Schwalbe 42's they ship with are like.

So all in all, its a bit of a clumsy compromise of a bike, but is the cheapest belt drive alfine 8 option out there and I think with a bit of customisation would be a very good option for someone looking for a low maintenance and reasonably fast commuter.

Advertisement