Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What do you do when you have a cold?

• 30-12-2014 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭thestar

Do you look after yourself as in only leaving the warm house if you have to? do you take medication such as paracetamol/uniflu?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭ Keith Mango Cove

Complain a lot usually

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Rosie Rant

I just get on with things and try not to disgust people with my germiness. Vitamin C helps a good bit. And good old lemsip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭JaseBelleVie

Complain about it manfully, about how I don't let a little thing like a cold stop me! However, on Sunday (my one day off, really), I usually lie in bed and moan and thrash around like a fish caught on a hook and wish I had someone to inflict a bit of TLC on me.

I avoid painkillers and medication unless I really need them, usually relying on hot honey and lemon instead. And tea.

But of course, the Irish Mammy cure for everything always gets brought out at one point or another: flat 7-UP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I do nothing, just get on with what I have to do and it goes away after a coupke of days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I dose myself with Lemsip and carry on as normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭rubin_spitfire

Think about the times when I didn't have a cold and how I took them for granted.

• Site Banned Posts: 7 crane_driver

thestar wrote: »
    Do you look after yourself as in only leaving the warm house if you have to? do you take medication such as paracetamol/uniflu?

i have asthma so if i did not go to the doc for antibiotics , i would take a month to recover

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭dmc17

Eat a few hot curries and you'll be grand

• Site Banned Posts: 7 crane_driver

I dose myself with Lemsip and carry on as normal.

lemsip is completely useless

people often assume because it tastes so awful , it must be good for what ails ya

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

I've had the cold/flu/cough that's going around for the passed 2 weeks.... nothing has worked- tried paracetamol, lemsip, cough bottles, flu tablets, vitamins.... and I still have it :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭dmc17

lemsip is completely useless

people often assume because it tastes so awful , it must be good for what ails ya

I found it good to knock me out if I had the flu. Never taken it other than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

When I get the first twinge of a sore throat I start eating Strepsils like sweets and hit the panadol hard. Usually knocks the corners off it before it gets too bad.

• I've had a cold all day yesterday and today, going to go for a run now in half an hour, my theory is if you go out and do normal things your body will get back to normal quicker, sit around and feel sorry for yourself drinking lemsip if only gonna make you feel worse

• Registered Users Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭weemcd

Go to the sauna or steam room, drink tonnes or water, take multivitamins and vitamin c especially.

Paracetamol and a hot whisky if it's bad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

i share it with my friends!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Sweat it out. Spicy foods, warm clothes, vit C, some paracetamol, and get on with life.

Gone after 48 to 72 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

One trick I've found always helps it clear up quicker, is to avoid all dairy products whilst I've got a cold. Stick to meat and veg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

Hot whiskies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I get onto every bus and luas I can and blow my nose into my hands then swing around the poles and touch the door open buttons. Then I snort my way into the office and touch coffee machines, laptops, door handles, fridge doors... Then I visit every colleague individually and breathe on them as I tell them I am dying. Then I snort some more. I sneeze really loudly every thirty seconds and run around closing windows and doors so that absolutely no fresh air gets in...

Oh sorry...I thought you asked what other people do when they have a cold... :(

Pwindedd wrote: »
    One trick I've found always helps it clear up quicker, is to avoid all dairy products whilst I've got a cold. Stick to meat and veg.

Definitely a good idea. Dairy increases mucous production.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I do nothing, just get on with what I have to do and it goes away after a coupke of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭rubin_spitfire

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    I get onto every bus and luas I can and blow my nose into my hands then swing around the poles and touch the door open buttons. Then I snort my way into the office and touch coffee machines, laptops, door handles, fridge doors... Then I visit every colleague individually and breathe on them as I tell them I am dying. Then I snort some more. I sneeze really loudly every thirty seconds and run around closing windows and doors so that absolutely no fresh air gets in...

Oh sorry...I thought you asked what other people do when they have a cold... :(

Accurate....!

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Realtine

While I know nothing kills it, a couple of paracetamol deffo helps me feel better, Lemsip at bed time, if I haven't already taken paracetamol in a while, and stepsils or difflam gargle for the throat, bit of salve for the sore red nose, or if the sinus are blocked then a salt wash for my nose.
    and also complain alot!

i have asthma so if i did not go to the doc for antibiotics , i would take a month to recover

Antibiotics are completely ineffective against a cold. A cold is caused by a virus. Antibiotics treat bacterial infections.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Don't really do anything although sometimes I "work from home" (read: take the laptop to the pub and get smashed on hot whiskeys)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

K.Flyer wrote: »

Same here except I've never had a clod go after a few days, my colds last at least 2 weeks, only tend to get 1 a year though thankfully.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

one two uniflu
    if i'm really bad

also lots of zinc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭AlteredStates

rest, fluids, vit c and cough bottle normally!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

I went through two boxes of uniflu and it had no effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Milk_Tray

SMJSF wrote: »
    I've had the cold/flu/cough that's going around for the passed 2 weeks.... nothing has worked- tried paracetamol, lemsip, cough bottles, flu tablets, vitamins.... and I still have it :-(

same, hasnt shifted in 2-3 weeks! pain in the arse

Advertisement