Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Atlantic Storm Watch & Coastal Flooding Events: January 2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

6am Friday..

gfs-0-66_wvr6.png

Very windy and becoming increasingly stormy later in the day, west to south west winds

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Thankfully the GFS has the next low peaking way out in the Atlantic before it reaches here. Looks quite nasty.

gfs-0-105-3h.png?12

Matured and weakened by this stage.

gfs-0-147-3h.png?12

• Registered Users Posts: 10,030 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Thanks..... this should be fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Hows thursday looking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

I am flying Shannon to Heathrow on Saturday 4th around 5pm.
    I have a tight connection, could I be in trouble?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭kavanagh_h

Now the weather outside ain't lovely
    But the champagne is extra bubbly
    So if you've no place to go
    Let it blow Let it blow Let it blow

Oh, it doesn't show signs of stopping
    But I've got some Pringles for popping
    And since the lights are turned down low
    Let it blow Let it blow Let it blow

This needs some additional verses...

Oh the weather is truly mild
    but i cant wait for the snow
    And it mtc would just oblige
    Surely we can stop the blow

Oh it doesnt show signs of stopping
    But there is still chocolate binging
    So until the final count down
    let it blow let it blow let it blow

I am flying Shannon to Heathrow on Saturday 4th around 5pm.
    I have a tight connection, could I be in trouble?

At the moment Saturday looks ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Friday morning looks nasty on all 3 models.
    Kind of crept up on us this one...

More rain, and not the end of it either.
    Rainfall Warning for countrywide

Another 20-35 mm of rain is expected in the next 24 hours, with the bulk of the rain later tonight and on New Year's Day morning.
    The combination of the high rainfall amounts and expected gale force south to southeast winds and high tides may lead to coastal flooding on some coasts.

Issued:
    Tuesday 31 December 2013 15:00
    Valid:
    Tuesday 31 December 2013 15:00 to Wednesday 01 January 2014 15:00

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Met Eireann warned of a new storm for Thursday, showed the low with very tight lines bringing another stormy period on Thur Night

• Advertisement

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Met Eireann warned of a new storm for Thursday, showed the low with very tight lines bringing another stormy period on Thur Night

Doesn't look too bad on the latest ECM. Gales along exposed Atlantic coasts, blustery inland. A fairly standard winter low if this came off.

cD0KlTl.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Friday morning looks nasty on all 3 models.
    Kind of crept up on us this one...

Umm yeah post #1 ??

(strong signal for level 2 event)

Looks a little stronger on the hi res HIRLAM than on the ECM. Storm force winds brushing the southwest/west coasts. Sub-950mb low.

kp351WB.png

Thursday/Friday is looking more stormy now on this mornings models.

x2SLehF.gif
    oCKBTIi.gif
    hFrIUKA.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

GFS 6z would give widespread 60kt gusts...

925hPa winds noon Friday

Rtavn5413.png

Met Eireann just said on the shipping forecast, winds tomorrow evening , South strong gale 9, backing South West and increasing storm force 10 to violent storm force 11, time to change the warning color I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭kerrywez

Hi and a very Happy New Year to all on Boards. Been looking round a little and have found some more convincing charts for the next storm.

GFS Sea level pressure chart for 6AM Friday 3rd Jan 2014.PNG

ECMWF Sea level pressure chart for midnight Thursday 2 nd Jan 2014.PNG

Hope this works out it is the first time I have tried to attach an image if it does not work out then I shall have to supply the UL for the charrs.

Regards Wez

PS got to be doing something wrong here as only the links came up on the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Met Eireann just said on the shipping forecast, winds tomorrow evening , South strong gale 9, backing South West and increasing storm force 10 to violent storm force 11, time to change the warning color I think.

...at sea?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

RTE lunchtime tv forecast made little of our chances of a storm friday.She said it could be windy but 50km/h was the highest wind speed they showed on the chart.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 226 ✭✭Frank Garrett

...at sea?

Irish people are amphibian.

• Advertisement

Guys I posted what Evelyn said on RTE radio 1 at five to one after that I know no more, Im sure you can reply that forecast

12Z NAE looks a little more stormy for southwest and western coastal areas, with the low tracking a little closer to the coast the gradient gets squeezed a bit tigher. Though we are still looking at something less severe, less widespread and of shorter duration than the 26th storm.

Midnight :

14010300_0112.gif

3am Friday :

14010303_0112.gif

Met Eireann

Thursday night will be wet and stormy once again. A spell of heavy rain will affect all areas along with gale force southwest winds gusting to storm force.
    Friday morning will continue stormy with a risk of damaging gusts. The winds will just slowly abate during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭kerrywez

Met Eireann

Thursday night will be wet and stormy once again. A spell of heavy rain will affect all areas along with gale force southwest winds gusting to storm force.
    Friday morning will continue stormy with a risk of damaging gusts. The winds will just slowly abate during the day.

Just had a look and they have two yellow warnings there, 1 gale warning "Gale Warning
    Gales or strong gales for a time this afternoon on Irish coastal waters from Malin Head to Howth Head to Mizen Head and on the Irish Sea; southeast to southwest.

Issued:Wednesday 01 January 2014 12:00 and a small craft warning

Small Craft Warning
    Winds will reach force 6 or higher today and tonight on coasts from Mizen Head to Slyne Head to Malin Head; cyclonic variable becoming west to southwest. See also gale warning.

Issued:Wednesday 01 January 2014 12:00

At least we should not be as stormy over here on the west coast, just fooling us into a false sense of security, before tomorrow night/Friday morning

They would not have the warnings up for midnight Thursday or through thee night yet. I got to go for a MRI scan in my knee on Friday, but it is the afternoon so all should be well by then.

Regards Wez

Stormy/windy for Atlantic facing coastal areas tomorrow night and early Friday morning. There will probably be an orange warning for those counties from Met Eireann later tonight or in the morning. More wet & windy rather than stormy elsewhere. Risk of coastal flooding was also highlighted.

TZwMq9T.png

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

oh how we have been spoiled lately.... a decent enough depression heading straight our way and its as quite as a mouse in here. im expecting met eireann to issue an orange warning for at least munster and the west coast. this system might not pack the punch the 26th storm had but one thing to remember is that a lot of people are back to work tomorrow so there should be a lot more traffic on the roads so just a heads up to any one driving tomorrow night or early Friday to take it handy.

howlinwolf wrote: »
    oh how we have been spoiled lately.... a decent enough depression heading straight our way and its as quite as a mouse in here. im expecting met eireann to issue an orange warning for at least munster and the west coast. this system might not pack the punch the 26th storm had but one thing to remember is that a lot of people are back to work tomorrow so there should be a lot more traffic on the roads so just a heads up to any one driving tomorrow night or early Friday to take it handy.

Storm depression depression? People feeling low after another low? Ok I'll stop.

Here it is at 6pm today out in the Atlantic, 982.

peqZTIM.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

after the St Stephen's day storm, i think i can handle any storm that comes our way. bring it on i say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

Simon Keeling just posted a flood warning. I hope the people in Cork are prepared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

18z could be interesting, already deeper and further east.

gfs-0-18.png?18?18

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement