Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Dalkey House of Horrors

• 08-01-2013 5:12am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I was surfing the web in these wee hours when I came across this very sad story about the suicide of a young woman in 2005.

Does anyone remember the Dalkey "house of horrors" case - where a new born baby was allegedly murdered and found by two boys in a plastic bag in a lane way in 1973? Why has justice not been served here? Three members of this family have taken their own life because of the appalling suffering they endured as children.

My blood ran cold when I read the article below.:(

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/a-beautiful-life-lost-to-utter-hell-470344.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Alias G

Good god, that story is just heart wrenching. I can't understand how the Gardai have been so dismissive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

As a sufferer of child abuse, certainly not to the same extent as the poor people in this article suffered, this article makes me sick & just re-enforces my opinion that I shouldn't tell people if this will be the reaction of the gardai, and worse, my family.

RIP to all involved. I can relate to your thoughts & hope your suffering has ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

it seems to bear a resemblence to ther stories of rings, the only explaination is that members of the ring can keep this from going further.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

It really is an almost unbelievable story of the most vile abuse imaginable. What stuns me is that no-one was ever convicted and jailed for these crimes and yet people in Dalkey knew what was going on in that house.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The baby getting stabbed with the knitting needles

that part of the story stayed with me for a long time:(:(

The fcuking animals who did this must have powerful friends:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Good grief I'm not sure what's the more sickening, the abuse the poor children had to endure or the cover up of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,057 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Alan Shatter, TD, has said: "I am gravely concerned about the lack of prosecutions in this case. It seems to be from published information, there is a prima facie case to be brought alleging murder, assault and sexual abuse."

It'd be interesting to see what his thoughts are on it now, given that he's in a position to do something about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I drink around Dalkey and hang around with people from Dalkey/ballybrack area and I heard. The case mentioned a few times. Why isn't child abuse an enforced crime in Ireland?

Hersheys wrote: »
    As a sufferer of child abuse, certainly not to the same extent as the poor people in this article suffered, this article makes me sick & just re-enforces my opinion that I shouldn't tell people if this will be the reaction of the gardai, and worse, my family.

RIP to all involved. I can relate to your thoughts & hope your suffering has ended.

Same story here man. I often thought about whether I would advise people to tell the gaurds at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Froyo

What a tragedy. So sad.

Sadly, a case such as this would require some actual detective work.

This country has been lumbered with AGS.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I feel ill after reading that

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Same story here man. I often thought about whether I would advise people to tell the gaurds at all.

Yeah, I don't agree with having to report all offenses. A person should able to tell me of their experience and once their is no current risk to any minors, if they wish it to stay with me if should stay there. I have seen to many people forced to go down a road they do not wish to go, or maybe are not even able to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Can people tone down this type of stuff
    This country has been lumbered with AGS.

If recent history has taught us anything, its that these type of atrocities (and cover ups) can happen anywhere. They're disgusting, and of course I'd like to see action taken, but the problem isn't down to where they took place.

Dodge wrote: »
    Can people tone down this type of stuff

If recent history has taught us anything, its that these type of atrocities (and cover ups) can happen anywhere. They're disgusting, and of course I'd like to see action taken, but the problem isn't down to where they took place.

Sweet jesus when will Ireland wake up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Alias G wrote: »
    Good god, that story is just heart wrenching. I can't understand how the Gardai have been so dismissive.

I haven't read the book (one has been written) but I believe one of the girls recalls being taken from her bed and walked up the road in the middle of the night to a building with steps in the front.

I'm not sure if it is stated directly, but there it is believed locally that this building was Dalkey Garda Station.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,781 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

My mother got very upset when this story came up again in '05. As a local and a contemporary of the young woman at the time she remembered the baby deaths well.

She told me about the whispers and rumours and the valley of the squinting windows activity which surrounded the deaths and said the dogs on the street knew substantially what had taken place but due to a moral paralysis, pride and face keeping typical of the time, nobody wanted to go creating too many waves. It was too horrific for the sensibilities of people at the time, so it was just glossed over.

She spoke too about the orphanages, care homes, industrial and reform schools the dark histories of which have been laid bare in the last 20 years. She said her father, my grandfather would have known very well what life in them was like, and that kids would be threatened with being sent there in only a half-joking way. But, nobody would stick their neck out, no one would question the church/state/police/institutions, so the misery of kids and those with intellectual problems continued for generations.

My mother feels a huge sense of guilt on the part of hers and previous generations for the complicity in protecting the abuse that went on through silence and inaction. She feels that as horrific as the revelations have been, it has been necessary to lay it all bare end all the secrets and expose the guilty and the complicit alike, in for the country to be honest with itself and begin a long healing, as well as a modern vigilance.

Some people talk about the good old days, but they were no such thing. Whatever our problems these days at least they are overt and fair game for scrutiny and debate and the morals of the squinting windows are, for the most part, yesterdays news.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    My mother got very upset when this story came up again in '05. As a local and a contemporary of the young woman at the time she remembered the baby deaths well.

She told me about the whispers and rumours and the valley of the squinting windows activity which surrounded the deaths and said the dogs on the street knew substantially what had taken place but due to a moral paralysis, pride and face keeping typical of the time, nobody wanted to go creating too many waves. It was too horrific for the sensibilities of people at the time, so it was just glossed over.

She spoke too about the orphanages, care homes, industrial and reform schools the dark histories of which have been laid bare in the last 20 years. She said her father, my grandfather would have known very well what life in them was like, and that kids would be threatened with being sent there in only a half-joking way. But, nobody would stick their neck out, no one would question the church/state/police/institutions, so the misery of kids and those with intellectual problems continued for generations.

My mother feels a huge sense of guilt on the part of hers and previous generations for the complicity in protecting the abuse that went on through silence and inaction. She feels that as horrific as the revelations have been, it has been necessary to lay it all bare end all the secrets and expose the guilty and the complicit alike, in for the country to be honest with itself and begin a long healing, as well as a modern vigilance.

Some people talk about the good old days, but they were no such thing. Whatever our problems these days at least they are overt and fair game for scrutiny and debate and the morals of the squinting windows are, for the most part, yesterdays news.

In fairness she was an ordinary person what could she have done. Often those who spoke out were more vilified than the abusers.

Sweet jesus when will Ireland wake up.
    Not really sure what you mean with this comment (as it quotes me)

Not really sure what you mean with this comment (as it quotes me)

I mean the ags have been ivolved in more cover up of child abuse and child death than most first workd countries. As a victim of ags child abuse cover up I found your plea to tone down criticisim of the gaurds very offensive considering the story were talking about. Surely you want everyone involved including the gaurds brought to justice?

I mean the ags have been ivolved in more cover up of child abuse and child death than most first workd countries. As a victim of ags child abuse cover up I found your plea to tone down criticisim of the gaurds very offensive considering the story were talking about. Surely you want everyone involved including the gaurds brought to justice?

Sorry, I didn't say abuse never happened in Ireland, nor did I say cover ups didn't happen in Ireland. I merely pointed out this type of disgusting/disgraceful/horrific behaviour isn't limited to Ireland. In no way did I try to limit criticism of the guards in this instance.

Anybody involved in the abuse of children, or the cover up of same, is a digusting blight on whatever society they belong to. I hope the people involved get all the justice they deserve.

That applies to Dalkey, and everywhere else around thee world.

• Advertisement

Sorry, I didn't say abuse never happened in Ireland, nor did I say cover ups didn't happen in Ireland. I merely pointed out this type of disgusting/disgraceful/horrific behaviour isn't limited to Ireland. In no way did I try to limit criticism of the guards in this instance.

Anybody involved in the abuse of children, or the cover up of same, is a digusting blight on whatever society they belong to. I hope the people involved get all the justice they deserve.

Well I agree child abuse isn't limted to Ireland at all but some of the gaurds in this country are worse than others.

Listen I apoligise Dodge I completely overreacted to your post. I'm just sick of this thing coming up again and again. We never seem to get justice.

Listen I apoligise Dodge I completely overreacted to your post. I'm just sick of this thing coming up again and again. We never seem to get justice.

Its no bother to me. I don't want to derail the subject. Too serious for that, so apologies there

Its no bother to me. I don't want to derail the subject. Too serious for that, so apologies there

Thank you Its me that should apologise. I myself heard the story around Dalkey/Ballbrack a few times. One of the sickening things I heard about the story is that people didnt have as much sympathy because the kids were rich. As if their parents money made what they went through any easier :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Thank you Its me that should apologise. I myself heard the story around Dalkey/Ballbrack a few times. One of the sickening things I heard about the story is that people didnt have as much sympathy because the kids were rich. As if their parents money made what they went through any easier :(

Ive never heard that, in those days I'm not sure Dalkey was as affluent as it is today.

I have heard that some of those implicated are still around the village. Although I'm sure there is a degree of idle gossip involved in that.

Ive never heard that, in those days I'm not sure Dalkey was as affluent as it is today.

I have heard that some of those implicated are still around the village. Although I'm sure there is a degree of idle gossip involved in that.

Well I only heard it once or twice and it was given as a reason for a lack of sympathy by the gaurds. As you say it most certainly was gossip but it is sickening that this is continuing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,951 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

That is easily one of the most disturbing articles I have ever read. I'm speechless.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

What a horrendeous story :(

One wonders why Alan Shatter can't now press for an investigation into this case?

I wonder would many people sign a letter to minister shatter to that affect?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I wonder would many people sign a letter to minister shatter to that affect?

I certainly would.

Advertisement