Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

shoes?

• 27-08-2012 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭

well lads about time i got a nice set of road shoes, ive a budget of about 150...ish any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭C3PO

Personally wouldn't look any further than Sidis!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭youtheman

Only thing I would add is to make sure you buys shoes with a ratchet adjustment (like a ski boot). Gives much more precise adjustment (compared top all velcro straps).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

youtheman wrote: »
    Only thing I would add is to make sure you buys shoes with a ratchet adjustment (like a ski boot). Gives much more precise adjustment (compared top all velcro straps).

Thats true but the velcro ones fit much better under overshoes and in my experience the rachet mechanism almost always breaks or at least the spring goes so that the bits rattle as you pedal..

I got these on sale recently in chainreactions and the velcro does have 2 levels of adjustment

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=69389

• Registered Users Posts: 33,576 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Picked up a pair of Shimano R191's and delighted with them. The fit is spot on no discomfort.

They have the velcro on the front 2 straps and ratched adjustment on the third one.

Id definitely get a ratchet adjustment one. ive being using these types of adjustment on rollerblades ski type boots for years and never had any issues or damaged adjustment. Just make sure to buy a quality shoe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

thanks for the advice lads, was originally going to go with sidi genius 5's but am going to get a pair of these Diadora shoes instead, whats the fit like with Diadora? currently have a pair of 45 specilized shoes so should i just get a 45

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

thanks for the advice lads, was originally going to go with sidi genius 5's but am going to get a pair of these Diadora shoes instead, whats the fit like with Diadora? currently have a pair of 45 specilized shoes so should i just get a 45

well i take a 44 shoe normally for everyday use and a got a Diadora in a size 45 which is perfect..

44 in most shoes my 44 diadoras were fine (but i'm nearer a 43.5 in reality)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,576 ✭✭✭✭listermint

nice looking shoe that!

il try the 45 and if its too big il send it back for a 44, again thanks for the opinions lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Plastik

Have a look on www.Bike24.com. I bought SIDI's there recently, €10 delivery to Ireland. Ordered an incorrect size, returned at my own cost, and wasn't charged for the replacement delivery.

went with the diadora speedracer shoes, fingers crossed the fit is ok, jesus youd end up spending every spare penny on this sport :pac:

went with the diadora speedracer shoes, fingers crossed the fit is ok, jesus youd end up spending every spare penny on this sport :pac:

keep away from me :p i'm the only person (Apart from cadel evans ) i know that wears them !

quickly what color so i can change mine :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭XtotheZ

i hate sidi genius 5 for ages and they are brilliant. recently upgraded to a pair of Northwave Extreme Techs :D

XtotheZ wrote: »
    i hate sidi genius 5 for ages and they are brilliant. recently upgraded to a pair of Northwave Extreme Techs :D

that bad yeah? hehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

Just a stupid noobie question but here goes!

I plan on getting some pedals and shoes over the next couple of pay checks!

Currently have cheap clip pedals which came with the bike.

Anyway, for an all in what should I budget (bike is a giant defy 1).

And in terms of what to get, its pedals, cleats and shoes and all separately?

As a beginner I assume I need something basic. Saw the shimano 105 pedals with good reviews.

Is it easy then to fit the pedals and cleats to shoes as a total noob?

Thanks! And sorry if I have slightly hijacked and gone off topic

if you where to buy online id get these shoes and these pedals, nice starter setup for around 135 quid you could go cheaper if you where stuck though, i did up until now :D

as for installation, its fairly simple just remember that the left crank/pedal is left hand threaded so you have to remove clockwise, and then just make sure you have the cleats straight on your shoes simples

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭C3PO

.... and then just make sure you have the cleats straight on your shoes simples

Probably not the thread to comment on this statement but it's not very good advice! If keeping cleats straight was recommended then they would just move in a straight line! You need to angle the cleats so that your feet sit in their natural position on the pedals which will help to lessen the pressure on your knees! Personally I use the "sitting on a wall" method but I'm sure there are more scientific ways of doing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭kuro_man

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/road-cycling-shoes-9-black-red-id_8166294.html

I tried these on for size, similar to Shimano sizing. The looked and felt really good. Fairly cheap for carbon fibre sole.

• Advertisement

C3PO wrote: »
    Probably not the thread to comment on this statement but it's not very good advice! If keeping cleats straight was recommended then they would just move in a straight line! You need to angle the cleats so that your feet sit in their natural position on the pedals which will help to lessen the pressure on your knees! Personally I use the "sitting on a wall" method but I'm sure there are more scientific ways of doing it!

different for everyone though so its very hard to give advice over the internet on it, what i meant by straight was that both cleats are in the same position on each shoe, i myself like my cleats to be forward and angled in a little

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Hi Guys,

Any basic road shoes that you would recommend that are suitable for our seasonless conditions, i.e. with no vents in the sole and good for every day hammering.

Advertisement