Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What Makes Wind?

• 27-01-2004 6:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

what causes wind?

as in clouds produce rain, sunshine produces heat,

what produces wind?

something i have thought about

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

I'm tempted to say "beans" but I wont as I wish to avoid a severe spanking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

If there has ever been a more humour-provoking subject text, I havn't seen it!
    Good question tho. Think it's gotta do with the sun heating different parts of the atmosphere to different temperatures.. yada yada yada. Gonna check out that link and read all about it (with a nice hot cup of taa)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

The main cause of wind is pressure differences over large areas and to a lesser extent local temperature variations in the earths surface warming.

• Advertisement

• Originally posted by Tommy Vercetti
    The main cause of wind is pressure differences over large areas and to a lesser extent local temperature variations in the earths surface warming.
    Yes sea breezes in warm summer weather being a good example of the latter.
    The hotter land and the colder sea causes the cold air to move towards the warmer air.
    A more technical explaination of that will be forthcoming when I'm less tired :p

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Neptune is a bit further away from the sun than we are and so it recieves about 1/900th of the solar energy we do. Wind speeds there are a bit higher though - .

wind speeds on Neptune reach 325 meters per second (700 mph), moving in a retrograde direction-that is, opposite to the direction of rotation.

Perhaps it's because there isn't extra energy to create turbulance ??

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jam

Advertisement