Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Commuting Bike Help

• 09-10-2014 12:35am

I'm currently using a low-end hybrid bike to commute 14km either way to work. It takes me about 48 minutes each time as the bikes quite heavy.

I know I could be doing this a lot quicker ~35 minutes and am looking to invest in a new bike to achieve this. I've €400 to spend but I don't actually have a clue what I should be looking out for to indicate if the bike would do the job i.e. How light should the bike be? Is it possible to get a bike capable of doing this based on my budget? etc

I'm quite the newbie in this area and any advice would be greatly appreciated :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

It depends how you want to commute. ie do you wear normal clothes on the bike or do you want more of a workout and get there quicker (road bike and lycra?)
    A simple change of tyre or even just correct tyre pressure could make a big difference to the bike you have already.
    I commute on a road bike and wear lycra, but I'm lucky that I have showers in work and lockers to keep change of clothes in.
    Road bikes usually don't have eyelets for mudguards or racks, but there are solutions - another thing to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,249 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I'm currently using a low-end hybrid bike to commute 14km either way to work. It takes me about 48 minutes each time as the bikes quite heavy.

I know I could be doing this a lot quicker ~35 minutes and am looking to invest in a new bike to achieve this. I've €400 to spend but I don't actually have a clue what I should be looking out for to indicate if the bike would do the job i.e. How light should the bike be? Is it possible to get a bike capable of doing this based on my budget? etc

I'm quite the newbie in this area and any advice would be greatly appreciated :D

Cycle surgey in dundrum had some giant debts ( can't remember if they were the defy 3 or defy 4) for about 400. Might be worth giving them a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Have you got slick tyres on the existing bike?
    Are they pumped up hard 5-6 bar or so (75-90psi)
    Lidl do good pumps for about 7quid every now and then as most garage airlines will not go that high

This will make a huge difference from knobbly soft tyres.

Thanks for the advice guys, I've checked the tyre pressure and have redone it.
    I notice a significant improvement alright, hopefully this will tie me over :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

What tyres are on the bike and what kinda bike is it. How heavy it it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement