Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BB30 converters options to allow shimano cranks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭nilhg

I've been using the Wheels Manufacturing version for the last few years and happy enough with it, no big gotcha's there.

Just be careful which convertor you buy, the rotor should be fine for all BB30 bike looking at the pictures but for example a praxis works won't fit my Felt because it has a carbon BB shell with a stepped opening to hold the BB30 bearings, not an alu tube with clips.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I’ve been using an FSA threaded sleeve on my Felt F5 for the last 3 years without any problems.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/ie/en/fsa-bb30-threaded-adapter-b3119-/rp-prod129935

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

Use that Rotor one in my CAAD. Very impressed by it. Used the WMFG adapter cups beforehand and it was a creaky nightmare. Especially in warm weather.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

used the rotor for several years now in my slice, been rock solid

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭gmacww

I've a felt which has a BB30 and I had to go through a couple of different sets of bearings until an (ex pro) acquaintance told me to get these:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/rotor-bb30-steel-bottom-bracket-kit/rp-prod130493

Been silent cycling ever since. They are in the bike about a year now and been through all sorts of crap weather. Running perfectly smooth and above all, no creaking. May be an option for you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I have the Rotor one and wouldn't recommend it, a creaky nightmare in my Specialized Roubaix. Should have gone for the the FSA threaded adapter and give the pressfit the heave ho but from reviews I cant use the FSA one with internal cables

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭El Vino

FSA threaded adapter then a standard Shimano BB for me, just remember it is a semi perm conversion, I wouldn't like to be trying to remove this adaptor - I glued mine in with Loctite 638. 
    Best thing I ever did

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭byrybak

Ordered the rotor converter today, will see in few weeks if it was right choice! Thanks to all for advice and reviews ��

El Vino wrote: »
    FSA threaded adapter then a standard Shimano BB for me, just remember it is a semi perm conversion, I wouldn't like to be trying to remove this adaptor - I glued mine in with Loctite 638. 
    Best thing I ever did

Mine was bonded in with 638 also...it’s never coming out.

byrybak wrote: »
    Ordered the rotor converter today, will see in few weeks if it was right choice! Thanks to all for advice and reviews ��

Resurrecting this, how are you getting on with the Rotor adaptor?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Over the next few days will be replacing the rotor in mine with another rotor, zero complaints over the last 4 years of using the rotor so going with it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

Just to add another option to the mix. I'd have a look at Hambini. One piece bottom brackets machined from a single side which means tighter tolerances (parallel & angular). Parallel and angular misalignment are the main causes of creaking in a bottom bracket.

The hambini bottom brackets are expensive but you'll only ever have to replace the bearings and not the sleeve.

As a side note I'd steer clear of any bottom bracket that FSA produce. It's well known that FSA use poor non branded bearings. Main issue here is the tolerances on the bearings rather than the rolling resistance or life. I've seen plenty of people scoring their crank spindle as a result of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

That Hambini looks interesting, not being very proficient with the work involved in changing it, is there a shop mechanic that would do this (Dublin area).

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

Luxman wrote: »
    That Hambini looks interesting, not being very proficient with the work involved in changing it, is there a shop mechanic that would do this (Dublin area).

Any bike shop should be able to do it. It's installed using a standard bearing press with a bit of grease. I believe there are a few videos from the guy that makes them showing how to install. Seems about as easy as every other Pressfit bearing.

Advertisement