Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public servants' inability to afford to pay rent in Dublin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,928 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Cry me a river, private sector workers are afforded fewer protections and prone to wage cuts. And the holidays are nowhere near as generous.

that's not the fault of the public sector workers though. it also doesn't mean the issue of the huge cost of living in the cities shouldn't be addressed, especially when it is causing shortages for critical jobs. ultimately the private sector workers need to be fighting for better terms.
    amcalester wrote: »
    Why not reduce the pay of those living outside of Dublin?

because it would probably be a form of discrimination at worst case and it would definitely be unfair at best. if someone is paid less then another, it should be based on the normal factors used to judge pay such as time served in the job etc, not where they happen to live. it is right fair and just that for example, a teacher of 10 years experience, earns the same whether they live inside or outside dublin.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

Here we go.

• BBFAN wrote: »
    Here we go.

Only once? Are football chants being shortened as well in the cause of profitability.....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Ronin Salty Hotel

We might as well blame travellers for people becoming teachers, nurses etc. !!

Btw...teachers on leave from their jobs don't get paid while not working. But let's not allow facts get in the way.

• limnam wrote: »
    From march last year.

Davy stockbrokers have today released a report on public sector pay in Ireland.
    The report has found that average public sector wages are €47,400 in Ireland, 40% higher than in the private sector

I don't know how they survive.

A meaningless stat considering public sector workers have a very high proportion of highly skilled jobs compared to the private sector so you would naturally expect a higher average salary.

Also teaches, nurses and guards etc are very underpaid for the jobs they do in any part of the country never mind Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Btw...teachers on leave from their jobs don't get paid while not working. But let's not allow facts get in the way.

Who said they did?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

enricoh wrote: »
    Should be i reckon 20% extra for living n working in Dublin. Freeze all increments to pay for it.

Are you a landlord in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭mammajamma

A friends younger sister started in the public service last year, she's getting a smidgeon over minimum wage yet living/renting in Dublin. Don't know how she does it.

I think a lot of people are getting confused with a 50 year public servant who has all the hefty increments and bonuses already built up, versus someone who's trying to get their life off the ground.

Yet another 2 tier system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Ronin Salty Hotel

limnam wrote: »
    From march last year.

Davy stockbrokers have today released a report on public sector pay in Ireland.
    The report has found that average public sector wages are €47,400 in Ireland, 40% higher than in the private sector

I don't know how they survive.

Very few in my office on 47k. Most are cobsiderably under 30,k but it's s headline.... it must be true

• Registered Users Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭limnam

mammajamma wrote: »
    A friends younger sister started in the public service last year, she's getting a smidgeon over minimum wage yet living/renting in Dublin. Don't know how she does it.

I think a lot of people are getting confused with a 50 year public servant who has all the hefty increments and bonuses already built up, versus someone who's trying to get their life off the ground.

Christ.

She's young. She can share. Get a room in a house for 280e a month.

That leaves her with over 1300e a month with shared bills.

God forbid we're ever in a_real_ crisis.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Averaging out salaries doesn't work either because it's bound to be distorted by the high earners in the top grades and the ones who've moved up through the ranks. The newer people got shafted when the likes of Croke Park and Haddington Road were being negotiated.

Very few in my office on 47k. Most are cobsiderably under 30,k but it's s headline.... it must be true

I'm not sure they focused on just your office pal.

It was y'know. The whole of the public sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,907 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

This a windup?

One of the highest paid public sector work forces in the oecd and they should be given rent allowance?

They should be just delighted we haven't started reverse bench marking.

It's laughable..
    If it's so bad for public servants then imagine what it's like for everyone else

Averaging out salaries doesn't work either because it's bound to be distorted by the high earners in the top grades and the ones who've moved up through the ranks. The newer people got shafted when the likes of Croke Park and Haddington Road were being negotiated.

No one was "shafted" Their employer was bankrupt. Financially embarrassed. They were been paid too much anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭mammajamma

Christ.

280 a month! I know people paying 850 a month for a bog standard room in a bog standard house in rathmines. Maybe she can walk from kildare every day as a commute. Or does car ownership come with an equal reduction in your world?

Yeah, she should share a bed with someone for the next decade and be happy about it. That's life now.

• mammajamma wrote: »
    280 a month! I know people paying 850 a month for a bog standard room in a bog standard house in rathmines. Maybe she can walk from kildare every day as a commute. Or does car ownership come with an equal reduction in your world?

Yeah, she should share a bed with someone for the next decade and be happy about it. That's life now.

Yep, classic vested interests gobsh*teology: "there's someone always worse off than you, be happy with what you've got".

This sketch has always had a whiff of truth about it........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,743 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

I am paying 950 a month excluding bills for half an apartment.

This a windup?

One of the highest paid public sector work forces in the oecd and they should be given rent allowance?

They should be just delighted we haven't started reverse bench marking.
    I guarantee in my job as a hospital pharmacist, I make a lot more difference financially to the HSE than I am paid. The difference I make to patients lives is generally immeasurable. Ive worked my arse off to get to where I am today so apologies if you feel I'm too highly paid.

• I guarantee in my job as a hospital pharmacist, I make a lot more difference financially to the HSE than I am paid. The difference I make to patients lives is generally immeasurable. Ive worked my arse off to get to where I am today so apologies if you feel I'm too highly paid.

I wouldn't apologize at all if I were you. The 'anger' generated by begrudgery, resentment and downright jealousy at another's perceived better circumstances than their own is a widespread trait in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Christ.

Where, Donegal? Be one hell of a commute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

If I remember correctly, I read somewhere that paying special allowances to public-sector workers in cities is what happens in Britain.

The INMO had an unsuccessful strike in 2007 in which one of its demands was a special allowance for nurses in Dublin.

Not only public sector in Britain. When I lived in Liverpool we got higher wages than our colleagues in Scotland but less than our colleagues in the south of England primarily to reflect the cost of housing even though we all did comparable same jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Christ.

not everyone coming into the CS is 'young' and not everyone older comes in at principal officer level.

And I paid 320 pounds for a room in Dublin in 2000.

I dount if you will find a room for 280E in Dublin now. I emigrated 2 years ago because salary versus rent was an extremely fast route to bankruptcy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭ Myah Flaky Tablecloth

"It is one of the great failures of Government policy that people like teachers, gardaí, nurses, doctors, firemen and on and on cannot afford to buy a house or apartment and live in Ireland, most especially in Dublin."

It might be true that some teachers and nurses can't buy a house in Dublin right now -- but exactly the same thing holds true for most private-sector workers.

But it's utter nonsense to suggest that "teachers, gardai, nurses, doctors ... cannot afford ... to live in Ireland."

Last time I checked, Ireland extended outside of Dublin, and includes many areas that don't have eye-watering rents and house prices. Recent figures published by the Irish Times show that you can rent a 5-bedroom house in Kerry for €869 a month and a 5-bedroom house in Mayo for €793 a month.

A newly hired primary teacher starts off on €36k a year, which is significantly higher than the average Irish starting graduate salary of €28k a year. If you have a teacher/guard couple in their early 30s settling down and getting married in rural Ireland, they could be on around €100k gross between them easily, and will have no trouble living comfortably.

In many cases, I suspect that "We can't afford to live" really means "We aren't being kept in the style to which we have become accustomed." It's a blatant grab for even higher public-sector wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

"It is one of the great failures of Government policy that people like teachers, gardaí, nurses, doctors, firemen and on and on cannot afford to buy a house or apartment and live in Ireland, most especially in Dublin."

It might be true that some teachers and nurses can't buy a house in Dublin right now -- but exactly the same thing holds true for most private-sector workers.

But it's utter nonsense to suggest that "teachers, gardai, nurses, doctors ... cannot afford ... to live in Ireland."

Last time I checked, Ireland extended outside of Dublin, and includes many areas that don't have eye-watering rents and house prices. Recent figures published by the Irish Times show that you can rent a 5-bedroom house in Kerry for €869 a month and a 5-bedroom house in Mayo for €793 a month.

A newly hired primary teacher starts off on €36k a year, which is significantly higher than the average Irish starting graduate salary of €28k a year. If you have a teacher/guard couple in their early 30s settling down and getting married in rural Ireland, they could be on around €100k gross between them easily, and will have no trouble living comfortably.

In many cases, I suspect that "We can't afford to live" really means "We aren't being kept in the style to which we have become accustomed." It's a blatant grab for even higher public-sector wages.

Please. There are clerical, executive and probably admin officers starting off on less and most of those jobs tend to be in Dublin And not every one marries a guard. Commuting to and from Dublin is awful.

Stop cherry picking. And stop the let them eat cake act.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Those who can’t do, teach.

If we are to hike their wages/allowances then the cost of everything else will rise as well.

A bit of commuting won’t do them any harm either, if they’re that worried about rent prices. Sure most of them will be out of the schools before rush hour hits anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

This measure will divert public funds to artificially push up rents and property prices yet is presented as being taken in the public interest. Why not just put the money into building more social and affordable houses in Dublin to bring down the accomodation costs for everyone working there?

I wonder how many rental properties this unidentified "Principal" writing the article owns?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭ Myah Flaky Tablecloth

Calina wrote: »
    Please. There are clerical, executive and probably admin officers starting off on less and most of those jobs tend to be in Dublin And not every one marries a guard. Commuting to and from Dublin is awful.

Stop cherry picking. And stop the let them eat cake act.

The article specifically claims that teachers, guards, and doctors can no longer afford to live in Ireland. So nobody is "cherry picking." Those are the specific professions mentioned by the author of the article.

Is it true that teachers, guards, and doctors can't afford to live in the country? No. Teachers and guards have a very good standard of living in Ireland, especially outside of Dublin. Doctors are among the highest earners in rural counties.

If you want to make a point about low-paid clerical staff in Dublin, fine. But that's not what the article is talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Decentralise more departments.
    Free up accommodation for those who remain in cities.
    Give a boost to other locations.
    Win, win?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

mammajamma wrote: »

Christ.

Where can you get a room for 280 euro a month?.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

One argument in favour of paying the Dublin teachers more would be: In other professions people move to Dublin because the salary they would get in Dublin would be way better than in Mayo or other counties, whereas a Mayo teacher in a low cost rural area gets paid the same as a Dublin teacher who could be paying €1000 in rent per month.

Advertisement