Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Planet X TT Bike?

• 17-10-2017 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Whats people opinions on these ? Great value at the moment for a new one, hard to look past it, but I've never owned one and curious to know peoples thoughts who have.. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭keoclassic

I built up an exocet 2 about 2 years ago, nice but a bit heavy and can be hard to keep it up at speed. Very stiff in the bb area due to its size. I run a 101 rear and 82 front. In terms of value, I don't think you can beat them. Any questions just ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Milk_Tray

keoclassic wrote: »
    I built up an exocet 2 about 2 years ago, nice but a bit heavy and can be hard to keep it up at speed. Very stiff in the bb area due to its size. I run a 101 rear and 82 front. In terms of value, I don't think you can beat them. Any questions just ask!

A new Exp 3 with carbon wheels is 2k Sterling ... hard to look past that for a new bike but I’m curious about build quality as I heard there made in China ? I won’t be a front runner so I doubt I’d notice the weight difference? There’s a lot of different brands to choose these days and some second hands are more than this Planet X! Would love a cervelo p3 but there’s something nice about a new bike :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Also run an Exocet 2 and can't really fault it. Grabbed a frame when they had them at 1/2 price. The Exo3 is a step up in design features but you can't beat them on bang for your buck especially when they've deals going.
    Had an Argon 18 which gave a smoother ride but it was too small for me and reluctantly had to move it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Milk_Tray

Would you think a beginner would notice the difference in something like a Argon or Cervelo to the Exo3 planet X?

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭delynet

I have a Stealth and I like it. Only thing it is my first TT bike so kinda hard to compare it. Half the battle with these things is the fit. I got Padraig Marrey in Ballinrobe to fit mine. He has an Exocet which some of the lads in Western Lakes use to set some serious times.

I think the internal cabling may be a problematic thing in the Exocet, if water gets in I think it wrecks cables quickly. Mine is mostly external cable. Frame does collect water when raining and you have to hang it at an angle after to let it drain out. My seatpost was also slipping a bit but I solved it with a coating of hairspray.

I'm no fast racer but my highlight on it was a 58:51 in the Connacht 40km TT which is where the pic below was taken.

430952.JPG

• Advertisement
Advertisement