Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting back in the saddle

• 14-10-2017 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭

Hi Everyone!

Ive decided after a long time absence from Cycling that I'm gonna give it another go!

Im looking for some advice on things to look out for, accessories that are a must etc etc. I heard padded shorts are a must :)

Im getting a new bike using the cycle to work scheme. Now this is where I need some help. I'm 6ft tall, and 138kg (Big Lad) and I want to start getting a bit healthier. I've been looking at some bikes, and the sales person recommended a Giant ToughRoad SLR2 . What are peoples opinion?

My commute would be around 15-18km each way (Dundrum to Santry) 6:30am

I would start out at small distances working up to the commute distance.

Thanks really it!

Would love some advice to help me get going :)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

I wouldn't get that bike. I'd want a 50-teeth front ring at least. A MTB kind of thing like that wouldn't be good for commuting: get a flatbar racer/hybrid that's light. First thing I'd do also is replace the tires with Schwalbe Durango Plus bulletproof tyres.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,182 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

to echo the above - you've not mentioned a desire to go off road; that bike (and it's sales pitch is explicit about it) is designed for off road use. look at hybrids or road bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭403 Forbidden

Thanks Guys so far! I have no desire to go off road. My only concern is my weigh, and my SIX PACK or lack of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Don't make the same mistake as me. I got a hybrid and only 6 months later I got a road bike. Hybrids/mountain bikes are heavy and slower. As I got fitter, I wanted to go faster and further.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,182 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

where will you be buying? online or in a local bike shop?
    and if the latter, where do you live? you should get feedback here about which are your decent local shops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Pick yourself up a cheap hybrid on adverts until you're 100% what you want to do in cycling and if you'd rather a drop bar road bike or a flat bar sport type hybrid.

Either way a hybrid will never go unused. I have one there for years and I completed my first triathlon on it donkeys ago. The poor thing gets abused but if you want to carry a load and mess about with kids cycling etc they're the swiss army knife of bikes imo.

Obviously a road bike will get you there faster 90% of the time and if you envisage yourself going down the cycling club route it will be useful for beginner spins.

In saying all that whatever you get you will inevitably upgrade to a faster flashier model at some point.

Also there's nothing wrong with the bike you've linked but if speed is your aim on your commute it's not ideal.

A practical new hybrid if new is your interest

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ie/rapid-3-2018

where will you be buying? online or in a local bike shop?
    and if the latter, where do you live? you should get feedback here about which are your decent local shops.

Gonna be getting it from Cycle Superstore

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Pick yourself up a cheap hybrid on adverts until you're 100% what you want to do in cycling and if you'd rather a drop bar road bike or a flat bar sport type hybrid.

Either way a hybrid will never go unused. I have one there for years and I completed my first triathlon on it donkeys ago. The poor thing gets abused but if you want to carry a load and mess about with kids cycling etc they're the swiss army knife of bikes imo.

Obviously a road bike will get you there faster 90% of the time and if you envisage yourself going down the cycling club route it will be useful for beginner spins.

In saying all that whatever you get you will inevitably upgrade to a faster flashier model at some point.

Also there's nothing wrong with the bike you've linked but if speed is your aim on your commute it's not ideal.

A practical new hybrid if new is your interest

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ie/rapid-3-2018

Great Post! Honestly I would like to do some cycle runs, so maybe the Hybrid would work out. I have the Cert for €1000 so that’s where I am.

So Im torn between a hybrid and a road bike. Is there a way to see the weight it can take? That was the reason for looking at a ToughRoad. Im all ears for recommendations.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

138Kg is pushing it for a road bike. Most have a max design weight of 100-120Kg. It’s usually the wheels that give out first though. You can get away with it by swapping them out for something sturdy with 36 spokes per wheel and 28mm wide tyres.

• Advertisement
Advertisement