Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mullingar ice rink

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Well, or will?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭cena

Well, or will?

does it matter? Will

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

cena wrote: »
    does it matter? Will

Well, I don't know.
    Will it matter when it's there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

Ice skating is good craic. I'll probably go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

is it a proper rink or that crappy plastic ice?

• Advertisement

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    is it a proper rink or that crappy plastic ice?

Real. I don't think many are using the fake stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

anyone been yet ? any impressions to share ?

- might give it a go this hols ...

The word I can use to summarize what I've seen there today: crowded.
    Actually both staff or public may need to improve on how to manage skaters or skating // haven't seen as many adult falls in the one slot we've been there, on any other rink we've visited before.

But location is very easy to get to for my family. So would use again (and hopefully they will keep it).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Can caravans go on it?

If I had time, I'd ask to define caravans :)
    ice rink = frozen body of water and/or hardened chemicals where people can ice skate or play winter sports.
    As per local requirements, this would be a small-ish rink, fenced & covered.
    - if you're into ice fishing - you'd need to go some other place (like Sweden)

• Advertisement

mvl wrote: »
    Actually both staff or public may need to improve on how to manage skaters or skating // haven't seen as many adult falls in the one slot we've been there, on any other rink we've visited before.

But location is very easy to get to for my family. So would use again (and hopefully they will keep it).

think of all the people in the midlands who have never seen an ice rink before, never mind gone on one!
    I'd say it won't be as crowded next time

think of all the people in the midlands who have never seen an ice rink before, never mind gone on one!
    I'd say it won't be as crowded next time

It is a novelty for now. Al least they have a zamboni to resurface the ice.

The old Dundalk Olympic size rink I meant to be reopening, hopefully in 2019. It closed down in 2007

I am hoping to around 4 if anyone wants to go

cena wrote: »
    It is a novelty for now. Al least they have a zamboni to resurface the ice.

The old Dundalk Olympic size rink I meant to be reopening, hopefully in 2019. It closed down in 2007

Did they not convert that into a giant Astro turf arena?

Did they not convert that into a giant Astro turf arena?

Nope. The irish ice hockey association posted they are to reopen it again. No time was given on the reopening. I am sure it need some work be than as in pipes may need replacing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

mvl wrote: »

We went before Christmas and it was the same thing. Quite crowded. Other skaters giving little regard for others on the ice, with young lads going flying into the sides, groups of teenagers congregating on the sides to chat and take selfies, peoples chatting between the main rink and the small rink. I was nearly knocked over a few times. I think there was one staff member out on the ice but I don't think they did much. Bit of a wait after to return skates, one person doing that until another staff member copped on and helped him. I'm not a confident skater and didn't find it the most enjoyable. I was ice skating elsewhere this winter and much preferred the other place I was at. But I think this was the first time it was in Mullingar and I probably would go again if it returned but go to an early or quiet time slot.

A no phone policy is needed for the rinks in Ireland. Some kids only go and try to knock there down on the ice which in turn is annoying to other skaters as they start to get in the way.

Advertisement