Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Go-Ahead Dublin City Routes - Updates and Discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I would criticize any operator that operates a poor service. When GAD come in and if the service is not up to scratch I will complain. I have also criticised Aircoach and other private operators aswell in the past. I have nothing against DB as a company or it's staff the only time I will complain is when the service is not up to scratch.

I have in the past praised DB for operating certain services well and will again in the future, the service is better today than it was in the 90s and 00s there you go I praised DB.

I have taken buses in and out of Bray now I will admit it's been a while since I last did and have driven through it a number of times and if you are saying it's a traffic nightmare to say the least and that's very much the fault of Wicklow CC and not DB. I try to avoid for this very reason.

There'll be no point by then. The NTA are wedded to their success and there is no company storming down the door to replace them.

They're under no threat in terms of having to be competent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

dfx- wrote: »
    They're under no threat in terms of having to be competent.

Well in fairness DB have had the same situation for decades

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

ted1 wrote: »

I'm not surprised I thought that would be logical location for which ever company was to take up the 10% of routes as soon as the decision was announced considering that a large amount of the tendered out routes were serving DL it could also is near Black rock which has two routes aswell going to GAD the 17 and the 114.

The recent bus rally there a couple of months showcased it as a suitable location to park buses. It seems they could be going for the idea of having a number of locations around the city for stabling buses and having one location for servicing and maintence. I wonder would DB ever adopt a similar approach of selling the land used at their depots used for maintence and buying a single outside the M50 for maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Bray Head

The recent bus rally there a couple of months showcased it as a suitable location to park buses. It seems they could be going for the idea of having a number of locations around the city for stabling buses and having one location for servicing and maintence. I wonder would DB ever adopt a similar approach of selling the land used at their depots used for maintence and buying a single outside the M50 for maintenance.

Makes a lot of sense to me. It's not an efficient use of very valuable land.

https://www.boards.ie/b/thread/2057698455

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

So there's going to be at least one outstation - what is becoming apparent is that Go-Ahead were well planned for starting operations - it's clear they did their research into depots and outstations before the bids were made.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Good secure location within meters of the terminus of the bulk of routes. As its within the harbour it has a dedicated harbour police so Go Ahead can probably save on having private security.

Also provides drivers with a room and facilities which will avoid any conflict with the Dublin Bus crew room in Dun Laoghaire station.

Highly unlikely there will be any issue with the planning application

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Bray Head wrote: »
    Makes a lot of sense to me. It's not an efficient use of very valuable land.

https://www.boards.ie/b/thread/2057698455

as explained in the thread you linked to, the depots offer the easiest possible access to the routes operated from them. i'm afraid both that, and keeping dead running to a minimum, come before land value, and one-off monitary gains that bring little if anything in return.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Good secure location within meters of the terminus of the bulk of routes. As its within the harbour it has a dedicated harbour police so Go Ahead can probably save on having private security.

Also provides drivers with a room and facilities which will avoid any conflict with the Dublin Bus crew room in Dun Laoghaire station.

I don't think that the Harbour Police in DL operate 24/7 I could be wrong though. They seem to be more just parking attendants than anything really.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,730 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

isn't that where Beatyard and various other events are held (there's was some sort of motorsports there in the summer)?

• Advertisement

loyatemu wrote: »
    isn't that where Beatyard and various other events are held (there's was some sort of motorsports there in the summer)?

Yes but I think that was only a temporary purpose until a more permanent purpose is found, the dream really is to have the ferry returned but it's become apparent that that's not gonna happen anytime in the near future. The building is meant to be turned into offices so perhaps the building will be offices and the outside part will be a bus depot.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The terminal could actually work as a bus hub as in it has toilets and facilities already there.

Staff would have a canteen and toilets so its a good grab and no matter who objects they have the nta, department of transport behind them so they don't want this privatization to fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I have read some more unverified information about as to how the new buses are to be used for this year by the NTA.

This also includes information about the 40 new Streetlites for this year are to be used by the NTA.

Dublin Bus

100 new Volvo/Wright double deckers for Dublin Bus which will be due in February
    40 AVs will be permanently withdrawn from Dublin Bus

Go-Ahead Dublin

60 Double Decker buses will be transferred from Dublin Bus to Go-Ahead (12 GTs & 48 SGs)
    40 new Volvo/Wright double deckers will be ordered for Go-Ahead by the NTA
    25 Streetlites will be ordered for Go-Ahead's single deck routes

Out of a total fleet of 125 buses for Go-Ahead; around 100 of them will be double deckers which will account for the majority of their total bus fleet.

Bus Eireann (Waterford)

17 Streetlites will be ordered by the NTA to cover BÉ city bus services in Waterford. I'm not sure if they are new additional or replacement buses.

I have read some more unverified information about as to how the new buses are to be used for this year by the NTA.

This also includes information about the 40 new Streetlites for this year are to be used by the NTA.

Dublin Bus

100 new Volvo/Wright double deckers for Dublin Bus which will be due in February
    40 AVs will be permanently withdrawn from Dublin Bus

Go-Ahead Dublin

60 Double Decker buses will be transferred from Dublin Bus to Go-Ahead (12 GTs & 48 SGs)
    40 new Volvo/Wright double deckers will be ordered for Go-Ahead by the NTA
    25 Streetlites will be ordered for Go-Ahead's single deck routes

Out of a total fleet of 125 buses for Go-Ahead; around 100 of them will be double deckers which will account for the majority of their total bus fleet.

Bus Eireann (Waterford)

17 Streetlites will be ordered by the NTA to cover BÉ city bus services in Waterford. I'm not sure if they are new additional or replacement buses.

would single deck be enough for the waterford routes?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I'm not sure as I haven't a clue about the BÉ operations in Waterford as I don't know the routes there today.

All I know is that the Streetlites are to be split for this year between Go-Ahead & Bus Eireann.

There are 40 Streetlites on order according to several reliable sources.

The split has not been disclosed, but there are lots of unverified rumours.

I would imagine as Waterford does not currently have any double deckers only single deckers.

I would imagine as Waterford does not currently have any double deckers only single deckers.

i see, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Whoops! Planning application declared invalid. Missing all sorts of drawings, maps and other details. Literally back to the drawing board. Perfect location for the depot but given the special zoning status of the Harbour area and the Harbour Company's recent planning issues, I'm not sure that the planning will be quite as straightforward as it might otherwise be.

Simon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭bebeman

Rumour has it some routes will transfer over in june/july

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

That seems to be what's going around alright.

dB management are staying very quiet so much so the unions can't even get a meeting over it.

Am I right there is a pay claim in next month so we could a strike between now and then.

From what I've read they will start recruiting drivers in May.

They're also advertising for a couple more head office roles now as well.

https://www.go-aheaddublin.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

Am I right there is a pay claim in next month so we could a strike between now and then.

Heard noting about that.. The final payment increase from the last strike was only applied this month but you'd never know.

As for routes transferring, Afaik the routes will be transferred over in stages.

It'll be interesting to see if any familiar faces (Ex DB/CIE) show up in head office of GA. haven't seen any announcements regarding appointments.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Any idea if Go Bus will use their own RTI or piggy back on DBs . Hopefully it's their own as DBs isn't fit for purpose

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Any idea if Go Bus will use their own RTI or piggy back on DBs . Hopefully it's their own as DBs isn't fit for purpose

I've never been quite clear on whether there's anything technically wrong with it, or if it's just the way in which they operate it that's utterly incompetent

The NTA run the real time not DB so the DB app will probably be gone and replaced by the TFI app

The NTA run the real time not DB so the DB app will probably be gone and replaced by the TFI app

Yes but will Go have actual real time information relayed from the buses via GPS and radio or the DB guesstimation system?

Yes but will Go have actual real time information relayed from the buses via GPS and radio or the DB guesstimation system?

I guess that depends if a crystal ball has been invented that is able to predict the future by then.

Of course there is guessing when it comes to real time information - some traffic incidents, flows and collisions and passenger and pedestrian incidents cannot be predicted which will impact on the accuracy of the RTPI.

The way that DB are doing it is the same way it's done in other cities and using some of the very same technology - there are plenty of things to criticize DB about but this is not one of them IMO.

• Advertisement

devnull wrote: »
    I guess that depends if a crystal ball has been invented that is able to predict the future by then.

Why would it need a crystal ball ? I was waiting 12 minutes for a bus listed as due in 2 this morning that's max 5 minutes from its terminus. The bus was clearly not where it was meant to be and was running to "timetable". Perhaps it's as MOH say and it's technically fine but operated terribly

Advertisement