Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail September Timetable Changes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Ireland trains

Id say the commuter services to bray will be shortened to terminate at pearse.
    This would also allow for more commuter services

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

There was supposed to be a half hourly service to maynooth but i assume this has been deffered to December or cancelled

Not cancelled, November or December has been mentioned, nothing concrete yet.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Common sense prevails at least its a realistic 10 minute schedule. Hope its not just a temporary before full 10 min.

What could drivers possibly need to discuss now, it just never ends...

There is one issue currently under discussion directly relating to drivers (reduction of the working week), but several other issues also going through the WRC affecting all grades from last years pay deal.

That's great news that the 10 minute DART will be going ahead by then. Who is the source of that news & why does it only have to run from 7am to 8pm?

I'm my own source :)

I thought it could go longer than 8pm because demand could be still be steady at that hour of the night. There is a good few passengers who do use it currently after 8pm whenever I would use it from town sometimes. I could put the 10 minute DART from 7am to 10pm & then demand would drop off afterwards.

What will be the frequency after 8pm? Will it be every 20 minutes or what?

Frequency will be as it currently is after 20.00, there are aspirations to run a literal all day 10 minute service, but, one step at a time.

Also how many carriages will be in use for each DART train between 7am & 8pm?

Sizes will vary (4, 6 and 8 carriages), the unions have raised this issue at the WRC and the company have indicated there will be slightly less 8 car trains, but more 6 car over 4 car trains - the NTA have allocated money to return some of the longer term out of service units to service.

Id say the commuter services to bray will be shortened to terminate at pearse.
    This would also allow for more commuter services

No they are to stay as they currently are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,296 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I also remembered in my head that September 9th will be the formal launch day for the 175 with Go Ahead between UCD & Citywest. So between this launch of the 10 minute service for the DART & Go Ahead Ireland this day will be quite a big one for the start of public bus & rail services becoming evolved over time in Dublin.

GM228 wrote: »
    Sizes will vary (4, 6 and 8 carriages), the unions have raised this issue at the WRC and the company have indicated there will be slightly less 8 car trains, but more 6 car over 4 car trains - the NTA have allocated money to return some of the longer term out of service units to service.
    Do you mean the 8200 returning to service and there is enough coaches to operate minimum 6 car trains.

Irish rail have updated their journey planner and now the connolly intercity services are there.
    Greystones to connolly now takes 58min to an hour.
    Ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

I'm my own source :)

Frequency will be as it currently is after 20.00, there are aspirations to run a literal all day 10 minute service, but, one step at a time.

Can you clarify what exact issue the union raised?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Irish rail have updated their journey planner and now the connolly intercity services are there.
    Greystones to connolly now takes 58min to an hour.
    Ridiculous

With little to no passing loops what do you expect?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Is there an updated timetable anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭xper

I am curious to see if the (welcome) 10 minute schedule can be maintained considering "+5","+6","+7" appears extremely frequently on the Irish Rail app's Live Trains for any DART station on the second half of a train's timetable. Won't be surprised if the running times have been increased again to try and make it stick.

Would like to see an increase in weekend frequencies, especially Sunday, and especially at the outermost stations. An hour or more gap between trains in Greystones is totally unnecessary.

Hopefully 4-car DARTs are few and far in between - they'll cause delays at stations where half the waiting passengers are at the wrong end of a platform. Which does beg a question to those in the know hereabouts: why is it that current practice seems to be that DARTs pull up at the very end of the platform even if they're not 8-cars and the station entry point is toward the other end of the platform leaving a cohort of people scrambling to get to the end carriage? Dun Laoghaire northbound is particularly bad for this. I recall that there used to be platform markings and signs for different stoping points for each train length tailored for each platform. Why the change? Another sensible change, especially if we are going to actually have 4-, 6- and 8-car DARTS, would be for the platform displays to state the length of the next arriving train as is done on other systems.

they stop at the same spot as the drivers use the screens on the platform to check the doors are clear.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Do you mean the 8200 returning to service and there is enough coaches to operate minimum 6 car trains.

Not all of the 8100 and 8500 class are being used at peak times, there can be half a dozen units that are free at peak time, some of which have been out of use for some time, that funding has been provided to return to service.

Last week I went past Clontarf Depot at peak time and I could see 16 cars sitting there in the sidings and that was excluding anything inside the depot itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,228 ✭✭✭✭ted1

After many years of delays the long awaited 10 minute DART is to commence from September 9th*. Full 10 minute service is to operate between 7.00 and 20.00 weekdays.

*Subject to acceptance by drivers (which could be an issue due to talks taking place surrounding other issues).
    Be interesting to see the affect it as in Merrion gate and other such crossings

• Registered Users Posts: 28,979 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

the 8200s are unlikely to return now. it would take a hell of a lot of work to get them back in service, and even more work to make them reliable.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

ted1 wrote: »
    After many years of delays the long awaited 10 minute DART is to commence from September 9th*. Full 10 minute service is to operate between 7.00 and 20.00 weekdays.

*Subject to acceptance by drivers (which could be an issue due to talks taking place surrounding other issues).
    Be interesting to see the affect it as in Merrion gate and other such crossings

That’s going to drive people mad! I had heard somewhere they were talking about some sort of fly over/under there.. NO idea how they would achieve that, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

That’s going to drive people mad! I had heard somewhere they were talking about some sort of fly over/under there.. NO idea how they would achieve that, however.

They were thinking about but would have had to CPO some of the church car park IIRC so it got binned by NIMBY

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

After many years of delays, Irish Rail are now changing their timetable ls to incorporate the delays. My usual morning train will now leave five minutes earlier to get in at the same time.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Rebasing to reality has to be done sometimes.

One thing that may have a slight benefit in keeping to time on a more frequent schedule is that drivers shouldn't feel any need to wait for late passengers running down the platform

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

L1011 wrote: »

One thing that may have a slight benefit in keeping to time on a more frequent schedule is that drivers shouldn't feel any need to wait for late passengers running down the platform

I'm getting no increase in frequency out of this, just a bigger rush from the crèche to the train station

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

Most Sligo trains , inbound and outbound, will stop at drumcondra in the new timetable

Exception being the 08.00 and 17.10 services out of Connolly

Cloudio9 wrote: »

Bump

Not the 8200s, some of the other longer term stored 8100s and 8500s, for example 8103/8303 has recently moved from Inchicore to Fairview in readiness for a return to service having been missing from the network since August 2010.

Can you clarify what exact issue the union raised?

The usual, smaller trains, safety issues etc.

There was to be a flyover, but that plan is officially dropped due to a huge amount of local objection, and due to the EU Habitats Directive there are protections on the seafront (it is designated a Special Area of Conservation) meaning no other alternatives are available - the gates are staying.

Cloudio9 wrote: »

Not yet, just via the journey planner for IC trains.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

L1011 wrote: »

There's nothing worse than seeing a fellow commuter ambling up to the doors attempting to get on. Yes, we're all waiting here for you sir/madam.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

The usual, smaller trains, safety issues etc.

They wanted more money for longer trains...

Unions need to shut up or put up and stop messing with trying to control the railway.

• Advertisement

They wanted more money for longer trains...

Unions need to shut up or put up and stop messing with trying to control the railway.

They were not looking for smaller trains, rather they were concerned about about the safety of smaller trains and issues with overcrowding.

Advertisement